• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mixed-method Camino - no distance certificate/compostela?

nickymd1

Time of past OR future Camino
CdN'17, Regia'18, CF'19, CP'22, CFist/CMux '17/'22
Hi all,
Does anyone know if one is still technically eligible for a distance certificate if one mixes modes?

I started walking the 'real' camino from my front door last year and would like to walk the rest of Jakobsweg through to France next spring. I'm seriously considering switching to my bike for the french portion of the Camino though, as much due to time considerations as expense/linguistic ones, before switching back to á pied from near Ostabat (not sure if continuing CF or CdN thereafter). I'd love to have a (final) pair of cathedral-stamped documents saying I made the trip from Berlin and would hate to miss receiving them due to a technical rule. Does anyone know if the Pilgrims Office has a policy on this?

Thanks!
*final because I'm not likely to stand in line a fourth time, not final because it'll be my last Camino ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There don’t appear to be any rules in regards to the distance certificate other than “on foot, bicycle or horse”, evidenced by “sellos”. But beware the “recognized” Camino rule. Try to avoid wobbling about too much 😉

The only KMs that count for the Compostela are the last 100 km by foot, or the last 200 by bike. The distance certificate is another story. I did a combo of the Frances, Salvador and Norte this year. I kept track of my distance, and that is what was recorded for me on my distance certificate.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There might be rules when entering Albergues. They look the sellos for continuation.

There might be rules when entering Albergues. They look the sellos for continuation.

I have never experienced this. I can't remember a hospitalera checking my last sello for continuation. I have walked the Frances backwards three times and no one in any albergue said anything. (Well, apart from calling me loco). But maybe I just never noticed?

Davey

As far as I can gather the OP won't have a problem. If from Berlin you walked, rode a biycycle, and used a donkey on different stages, as long as the last 200km (bike or donkey) or 100km on foot is on a 'recognized camino' in won't matter. It is that last section they will be checking in the office.

When I first walked I heard of a guy who started in Moscow. Apparently he hitch hiked until he hit a camino trail in Western Europe then walked from there. He received the compostela of course. He received a distance certificate from Moscow (probably out of respect).

Davey

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There are all sorts of rules when entering Albergues ;). But in this instance some Albergues, and typically the Donativo, Paroquial and Xunta Albergues, might look for a continuity of journey westward or eastward but they are well aware that walkers and bikers cover vastly different distances in a day.

f from Berlin you walked, rode a biycycle, and used a donkey on different stages, as long as the last 200km (bike or donkey) or 100km on foot is on a 'recognized camino' in won't matter.
The pilgrim office website doesn't actually mention donkeys but I would guess they would treat that like riding a horse - in which case the minimum distance is 100km, the same as walking.

The pilgrim office website doesn't actually mention donkeys but I would guess they would treat that like riding a horse - in which case the minimum distance is 100km, the same as walking.

I really thought using a horse/donk was 200km. I stand corrected!

Davey

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all,
Does anyone know if one is still technically eligible for a distance certificate if one mixes modes?

I started walking the 'real' camino from my front door last year and would like to walk the rest of Jakobsweg through to France next spring. I'm seriously considering switching to my bike for the french portion of the Camino though, as much due to time considerations as expense/linguistic ones, before switching back to á pied from near Ostabat (not sure if continuing CF or CdN thereafter). I'd love to have a (final) pair of cathedral-stamped documents saying I made the trip from Berlin and would hate to miss receiving them due to a technical rule. Does anyone know if the Pilgrims Office has a policy on this?

Thanks!
*final because I'm not likely to stand in line a fourth time, not final because it'll be my last Camino ;)
As others have said, it won't be a problem to switch modes in France. It is only a problem if you switch modes in the last 100 or 200 km immediately before Santiago (depending on your mode).

If I walk the Camino Primitivo Camino Verde as far as Biomorto, then cut across to Lavacolla, am I still able to receive a Compostella in that the last 50 or 60 km will not be on an actual marked Camino route?

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.