• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mixing the routes for the best view and food

VeganCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Future Frances from Saint Jean Pied du Port to Burgos, starting in June.
Planning my first Camino this summer. I fly into Barcelona June 4. Planning to "unravel" from work and spend 5 nights in Barcelona, travel to the coast, train to Toulouse, a night in Lourdes, then to Saint Jean to start the CF from there about June 15.

My plan is to walk the 172 KM to Burgos on the CF.
Then take a bus to Bilboa and spend 2 nights there.
Take a bus out of town to avoid the asphalt then walk along the Camino Norte to Ribadesella, 212 KM.
Take a bus to Leon and walk to Ponferrada, then dip down to the Via de la Plata route and spend 2 nights in Ourense, then onto Santiago, a 339 KM trip.

It's 500 miles/ 800 KM in total.

This mixing of routes interests me because I'd like to see a variety of scenery, including water views.

Thoughts and reflections on this route from community members who have done parts of this route?

Is starting in mid-June too late??? I can rebook my flight for earlier in May, but was trying to stay at my job longer to save $ and get the extra paycheck before I leave. Would departing Saint Jean on May 27 VS. June 15 make a big difference weather wise?

Thoughts on vegan food options on this combined route? Thanks!!! :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
As a non-vegan I can't help you with the menu options. I am a foodie however and I would suggest San Sebastian for the tapas over the selection in Bilbao.
I have walked a variety of mixed Caminos as well. I had no idea there was a connection between Barcelona and Toulouse but according to Rome2rio, the bus is a little longer trip but half the price.
I am doing something similar in June. I am walking the GR65 from Le Puy to Cahors then taking the train down to Toulouse and spending a few nights there. Then I am taking a bus to Burgos to walk the Meseta for 3 weeks.
I walked on the Norte from Bilbao to Santander last year and then took a train south to walk the Canal de Castille and finally hooked up with the Camino Madrid near Valladodid.
June would be preferable to May; even in June last year I had a lot of rain along the cost that was my reason for bailing out in Santander.
I'll let someone else chime in on the vegan options but salads, beans, pasta and roasted peppers from Padron will no doubt be your main fare.
Enjoy your Camino mixte and thanks for the heads up about going to Barcelona from Toulouse that never occurred to me.
Toulouse and Barcelona are on my bucket list.

Mixing routes gives one a different —not better, not worse — experience than through-walking to Santiago. If that’s what you seek, then go for it!

I’d choose May over June due to the heat and crowds, but that’s a personal preference. As for your route, consider visiting Montserrat outside of Bar Elon’s and then doing the one day hike to Manresa (last stage of the Camino Ignatius). Also, you can walk from Lourdes to SJPdP along the northern foothills of the Pyrenees. Beautiful area with supporting gîtes and fewer folks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There are various vegan posts, just put the term in the search box. Here’s one to get you started.

Lots of ways to mix and match, but you may find you don’t want to jump ship once you get into the camino vibe. I would keep an open mind.

If you are planning to walk from LeĂłn to Ponferrada to Ourense, you will have to go off camino. The Invierno route starts in Ponferrada but does not go through Ourense. Lots of info here on the forum for that option, which is a beautiful one IMO.

And one random comment — The asphalt on the Camino del Norte doesn’t end with a quick bus trip out of Bilbao, unless you focus on taking the coastal alternatives, which I have posted about. There will be many times when you are only a km or two from the coast but the arrows take you alongside a national road. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ives-to-the-nortes-asphalt.49578/#post-561327

Buen camino, Laurie

As a non-vegan I can't help you with the menu options. I am a foodie however and I would suggest San Sebastian for the tapas over the selection in Bilbao.
I have walked a variety of mixed Caminos as well. I had no idea there was a connection between Barcelona and Toulouse but according to Rome2rio, the bus is a little longer trip but half the price.
I am doing something similar in June. I am walking the GR65 from Le Puy to Cahors then taking the train down to Toulouse and spending a few nights there. Then I am taking a bus to Burgos to walk the Meseta for 3 weeks.
I walked on the Norte from Bilbao to Santander last year and then took a train south to walk the Canal de Castille and finally hooked up with the Camino Madrid near Valladodid.
June would be preferable to May; even in June last year I had a lot of rain along the cost that was my reason for bailing out in Santander.
I'll let someone else chime in on the vegan options but salads, beans, pasta and roasted peppers from Padron will no doubt be your main fare.
Enjoy your Camino mixte and thanks for the heads up about going to Barcelona from Toulouse that never occurred to me.
Toulouse and Barcelona are on my bucket list.
Thank you so much. Appreciate the advice and vote of confidence. I live in CA, which also has a Mediterranean climate and June can be iffy here. How interesting that you are drawn to walk the Meseta, which is the area I am avoiding by going to the coast. I am sure I will walk it another year. Enjoy!

Thank you so much. Appreciate the advice and vote of confidence. I live in CA, which also has a Mediterranean climate and June can be iffy here. How interesting that you are drawn to walk the Meseta, which is the area I am avoiding by going to the coast. I am sure I will walk it another year. Enjoy!
The Meseta is Magic.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am with Lori on this idea. Keep an open mind and don't overplan. There is a lot to be said for walking an entire route instead of skipping around. We had planned to do Frances to Leon then El Salvador and Primitivo, but by the time we reached Leon it was clear that we wanted to stay on the Frances for numerous reasons. Also, some of the most special places of the Frances are on the meseta, IMO there is nothing to "avoid" on this stretch. We are off to do the Norte in June, and will save the Salvador for another time.

Planning my first Camino this summer. I fly into Barcelona June 4. Planning to "unravel" from work and spend 5 nights in Barcelona, travel to the coast, train to Toulouse, a night in Lourdes, then to Saint Jean to start the CF from there about June 15.

My plan is to walk the 172 KM to Burgos on the CF.
Then take a bus to Bilboa and spend 2 nights there.
Take a bus out of town to avoid the asphalt then walk along the Camino Norte to Ribadesella, 212 KM.
Take a bus to Leon and walk to Ponferrada, then dip down to the Via de la Plata route and spend 2 nights in Ourense, then onto Santiago, a 339 KM trip.

It's 500 miles/ 800 KM in total.

This mixing of routes interests me because I'd like to see a variety of scenery, including water views.

Thoughts and reflections on this route from community members who have done parts of this route?

Is starting in mid-June too late??? I can rebook my flight for earlier in May, but was trying to stay at my job longer to save $ and get the extra paycheck before I leave. Would departing Saint Jean on May 27 VS. June 15 make a big difference weather wise?

Thoughts on vegan food options on this combined route? Thanks!!! :)
The vegan food options will be the same as they ever were in northern Spain. Available but not always easy to find. Most Camino catering is aimed at omnivores but there are plenty of threads on vegan opportunities. Happy holiday.

I really liked the meseta. My main piece of advice, however, is to stick to the VdlP from Ourense to Santiago and don't do any more personalizing of the route. That's assuming, of course, that you are looking for a Compostela. I've heard that the Pilgrim Office authorities are now requiring that the Camino (at least, the last 100 km, which is the only part they really care about), be on an "official" route, which if you stray off the VdlP it might not be. If you don't care about a Compostela, do whatever you want!

In terms of a mid-June start, "too late" is a matter of opinion. On the one hand, it's going to be a little hotter. On the other hand, it won't be quite as crowded as if you'd started earlier. I think having more time is more important than having more money for your Camino, but recognize that sometimes the latter enables the former.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back