• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mixing Via dl P with cPortuguese

Time of past OR future Camino
Caminho Portuguese; Via de la Plata; Sureste.
I am planning on starting the Via de la Plata from Seville in mid March and walking up to Salamanca. From there I will take a train to Coimbra and continue on the Caminho Portuguese to Santiago De Compostela (I have Portuguese friends on route and would like to see them). This is my first Camino so any advice would be welcome. Also, does anyone foresee any problems with this plan?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sounds good to me!

One piece of advice I give for any long-distance hikes is to buy compression sleeves for your arms. They'll keep you really warm but can be easily rolled down when the day starts to heat up. They're also very lightweight, don't take up much room and dry quickly.

Buen Camino!
Melanie

Sounds good to me!

One piece of advice I give for any long-distance hikes is to buy compression sleeves for your arms. They'll keep you really warm but can be easily rolled down when the day starts to heat up. They're also very lightweight, don't take up much room and dry quickly.

Buen Camino!
Melanie
Have bought some to take with me this Camino. I have the summer weight ones that you can wear to keep the sun off. Also thought they would be good for cold mornings.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am planning on starting the Via de la Plata from Seville in mid March and walking up to Salamanca. From there I will take a train to Coimbra and continue on the Caminho Portuguese to Santiago De Compostela (I have Portuguese friends on route and would like to see them). This is my first Camino so any advice would be welcome. Also, does anyone foresee any problems with this plan?
Hola, Donald,

If by any chance you have enough time there's a Camino Torres from Salamanca to Ponte de Lima. See subforum dedicated to it or: http://caminosantiago.usal.es/torres/

Happy planning and Buen Camino / Bom Caminho!

Sounds good to me!

Buen Camino!
Melanie
Thank you for that advice. I am going to look in Amazon for the sleeves.

Hola, Donald,

If by any chance you have enough time there's a Camino Torres from Salamanca to Ponte de Lima. See subforum dedicated to it or: http://caminosantiago.usal.es/torres/

Happy planning and Buen Camino / Bom Caminho!
I didn't know about the Camino Torres. I don't think I will attempt that extra walking stage this year as already I have an ambitious schedule for my first Camino - but if all goes well this year I may well add that in in future years. Thank you for that.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, Donaldclive, Welcome to the forum. The only "problem" I foresee is that they are going to have to drag you kicking and screaming off of the Vdlp because it's such a beautiful camino. Though, truth be told, the two days from Salamanca to Zamora are not my most highly ranked days.

I believe there is only one train a day from Lisbon to Madrid and that it stops in both Salamanca and Coimbra. My memory is that it's an overnight train, which will mean that you probably have to get on late and night and get off early in the morning. I have taken the train in the Lisbon to Madrid direction and got a sleeper car. I got a pretty decent night's sleep. Hope you can spend some time in Coimbra, it's a charming old university town with an ancient cathedral, a Santiago church and very pleasant ambiance. Bom caminho, Laurie

Hi, Donaldclive, Welcome to the forum. The only "problem" I foresee is that they are going to have to drag you kicking and screaming off of the Vdlp because it's such a beautiful camino. Though, truth be told, the two days from Salamanca to Zamora are not my most highly ranked days.

I believe there is only one train a day from Lisbon to Madrid and that it stops in both Salamanca and Coimbra. My memory is that it's an overnight train, which will mean that you probably have to get on late and night and get off early in the morning. I have taken the train in the Lisbon to Madrid direction and got a sleeper car. I got a pretty decent night's sleep. Hope you can spend some time in Coimbra, it's a charming old university town with an ancient cathedral, a Santiago church and very pleasant ambiance. Bom caminho, Laurie
Hi Peregrina2000. Thank you for the advice and especially for the good news that the Via de la Plata is so beautiful. Were it not for the fact that I want to explore Coimbra for the first time and see my Portuguese friends in Porto (I, and my wife who died in March last year, have already explored a lot of the rest of Portugal over the years), I would have continued on the VdlP. I also want to explore Salamanca before getting the train to Coimbra. Really looking forward to it all despite - or even because of - the fact that parts of the walk will trigger very emotional moments for me.

Last edited:
Hi, Donald,
Please accept my sympathy. I hope the camino will be healing and life-affirming for you. My mother died last March, and my May camino was just what I needed to put it all in perspective. I was on a very solitary camino and found many perfect moments for shouting, crying, remembering. Everyone grieves in their own way of course but I bet you will find that you can reach inside and find ways to both celebrate your wife's life and mourn her death while you are putting one foot after the other, day after day. I am a pretty non-mystical person but it was just what I needed.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi, Donald,
Please accept my sympathy. I hope the camino will be healing and life-affirming for you. My mother died last March, and my May camino was just what I needed to put it all in perspective. I was on a very solitary camino and found many perfect moments for shouting, crying, remembering. Everyone grieves in their own way of course but I bet you will find that you can reach inside and find ways to both celebrate your wife's life and mourn her death while you are putting one foot after the other, day after day. I am a pretty non-mystical person but it was just what I needed.
Thank you, Laurie. My sympathies for your loss too. Don.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back