• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mixing walking and biking?

Richardw2

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2018
We are planning to complete the French Way starting in St Jean. Is it ok to mix walking and biking assuming you start that far off? I intend we'll walk most of it especially the last 100k, but figured biking would be a way of mixing it up a bit.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, Richard :)

No... it is not allowed whatsoever!!!!

Just kidding. Of course you can do a mixture of walking and bicycling; a lot of pilgrims have done the same. For a Compostela, you are correct that one must walk the last continuous 100 km into Santiago, but you could also ride the last continuous 200 km into SdC as well, if you decided you wanted to do the final leg on bike.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Richard, you can certainly do it, but might be a little harder to organise with the bike hire companies or if you bring your own bikes arranging transport etc. Changing from back packs to paniers would also annoy me personally.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Santiago de Compostela in March/April 2018 and witnessed many cyclist doing the Camino. I also met some people along the Way that started walking and decided to rent a bicylce for the last portion of their trek. Some of those that I met purchased a bicycle along the Way (1 in Pamplona and 1 in Burgos).

Fascinated by by my perceived ease at which cyclist were chewing up the kilometers, I decided to rent a bicylce for a 45 km stretch and, instead of sore feet that end of day, I had a real sore behind. I decided that cycling wasn't for me, at least not for the rest of the Camino.

Renting bicycles is easy to do and there are several companies that will deliver and pick up the rented bicylce. Some of these companies are literally along the Way. Also, you can purchase a bicycle as some have done.

In the end, the Camino is a personal experience. Have fun, enjoy and respect.

Richard, I biked the CF in 2015 and as stated above, it is doable and you can receive a Compostela.

A few thoughts....

You have a choice of following the roads or the route followed by the walking pilgrims, or indeed a pick'n'mix of the two.
If following the "walkers" path, it may not necessarily be much quicker. Progress is (and should be) slow because of the surfaces and the walkers.

Think about baggage. You certainly do not want to cycle with your backpack on your back. You'll need to strap your backpack to your rack, or better still use panniers.

Cycling is not necessarily "easier" than walking - just different. The advantage of a bike is exploring off the route and being able to make up time. No room at the inn? Not too much of a problem on a bike. (Remember, some Albergues will not accept bikers until later in the day). There are some big climbs (followed by big descents!) but the ride is doable by anyone with a reasonable degree of fitness, especially if not in a rush. But on a rented bike, expect a sore ass and other aches and pains.

Rain gear that is effective for walking may not be so effective on a bike. Riding in the rain can be glorious! but it can also be miserable if you're wet and cold.
The only "extra" gear you need is cycling gloves to protect your hands in case you fall. Padded shorts are not necessary unless using a racing style saddle - unlikely on a rented bike and easily changeable in any case.

If you haven't ridden a loaded bike in a while, do it before you go. You'll be riding in close proximity to people and in some busy places. Your safety and the safety of others depends on you being able to control your bike with a load, sometimes at low speeds, and sometimes at very high speeds!!:)

Be able to do basic mechanics such as brake and gear adjustment and fix a puncture (less of an issue if you stay on the road).

And the biggy! Because you'll move faster and longer than walkers, there is a danger that you'll miss out on the more social aspects of the Camino. If you start off walking and subsequently pick up a bike for a few days, you'll be leaving your "Camino family" behind. And if you resume walking again, you'll be starting off the process all over again.

I met one girl on the Camino who started on a bike, sold it and continued to walk. She preferred the walk.

Walking is not an option for me, unfortunately and I loved my biking Camino. But I was on my own bike, had toured several thousand kms before I started and was in the fortunate situation that I was in no rush.

Personally, I'd think it would be better to choose one mode or the other. Aches and pains from walking after a week or two may make riding a bike more difficult. And vice versa. A rental bike will take time to get used to depending on how familiar you are with carrying a load. A bus will allow you to make up time if you are under pressure walking.

Spain is fantastic for biking. If you do want to bike, I'll give you the same advice I got from a bar-tender in Santiago - head west and enjoy the coast! He wasn't wrong! :)

figured biking would be a way of mixing it up a bit.

@Richardw2 , welcome to the forum

I rather envy you. Later this month I start to walk from Canterbury to Rome. I wanted to bike through to Switzerland at least. But I couldn't get my act together to refresh my former skills. But had i got my act together I would ride the roads. No question.

I respectfully ask you to consider this:
1) much of the Camino Frances is on roads or on a path alongside roads
2) some paths away from roads are broad with good surfaces
3) many paths away from roads are narrow (single file) with uneven surfaces

For the circunstances above, in my view bikers are welcome to use:
1) roads - keep separate from walkers
2) broad paths
but not go on 3) at all under any circumstances, ever.

But how does a biker identify, before starting each day, which is which?

And how does a biker understand and apply the expression "Pedestrian Priority"?

All the bikers I met on the Frances in late 2017 were on the road and seemed very content to be so. In particular three I met at San Juan de Ortega (about 30 km before Burgos). They told me they rode the roads without exception. And to get to the albergue at San Juan they had diverted 4km on a sealed "feeder" road from the N120 they had used from Villafranca Montes del Oca and all they way before that.

Consider also the currently walked Camino has been moved over the years as new roads etc are built. In other words, in my view, there is nothing "magical" about the exact route travelled. Rather, again in my view, it is the journey that matters. Being on a bike would mean any casual chats with other peregrinos will be at cafe etc. And these are beside roads.

So, @Richardw2 , I wish you well in you preparation and achievment. And kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We are planning to complete the French Way starting in St Jean. Is it ok to mix walking and biking assuming you start that far off? I intend we'll walk most of it especially the last 100k, but figured biking would be a way of mixing it up a bit.
Did you ever find any information about mixing walking and riding the Camino?

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back