• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

mobile phone advice, please

Bridget and Peter

Time of past OR future Camino
Home to Reims 2007
Reims to Limoges 2008
Camino Ingles 2009
Limoges to Gernica 2009
Gernica to San Vicente de la Barquera 2010
San Vicente to La Isla 2012
La Isla to Santiago Sept/Oct 2014
When we're on le Chemin in France later this month we're going to need both to be contactable from home (grandchild due in Nov but the last one was two months early) and also to be able to phone ahead for accommodation etc. We have a mobile each and a solar charger. Can anyone explain the ins and outs of buying a french sim card, advise on the cheapest option and give any other guidance? Thanks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi there,

As long as you UK mobile phone is not locked to your UK mobile service provider you should be able to just stick a french SIM card into it and then you have a french number. I just looked at one french provider: http://www.orange.fr and it looks like they have pay-as-you-go sim cards from €15,-. Then you just fill it up when you run out of balance. In Spain this can be done at most chain supermarket.

For how things are in Spain, have a look at the wiki page on mobile phones.

Buen camino,
Ivar

Will my Vodafon Spain SIM card work in Toulouse, France (and on to Somport Pass)?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
falcon269 said:
Will my Vodafon Spain SIM card work in Toulouse, France (and on to Somport Pass)?
It should work, but remember that you would then be paying international rates for incoming and outgoing calls.

The reason I say is "should work" is that sometimes a carrier asks you to call them before you make a trip outside Spain to activate the card for international use. I don't think you need to do this as long as you have a balance on your card... but I am not sure.

Saludos,
Ivar

You possibly only will pay roaming in Toulouse but not in Somport. Coverage of companies at both sides of all frontiers arrive 5 km. inside the other country. It happened to me last month in Irun (5 km from the border).

If you have to call in Somport don't forget to check which company you are calling with.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

For those of us travelling from the States, where most cell phone networks (including my own) are not GSM compatible, I've heard the best bet is to buy an inexpensive phone in Europe. I'll be starting in France in 2009. Can anyone recommend a French cell phone firm that would have good coverage on the LePuy route? And do you have recommendations on SIM-switching or pay-as-you-go?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi,
I have an inexpensive Vodafone that I bought in 2005 - and recharge every year. You can change the SIM card from country to country and recharge the minutes on the phone. I bought mine in Madrid, but Vodafone is all over Europe. Do be careful though, there is something about having to recharge the phone in the country where you bought it... I'm not sure what that is about.. but I'm sure they can explain at the phone store.
Buen Camino,

Me. Getting an explanation in a phone store.

That brings back a Pamplona memory. Since cafe con leche has no real meaning in a Vodafon store, my Spanish was a total failure until some tri-lingual German pilgrims came in and provided assistance. Recharging in Hospital del Orbiga was easier, as hand signals and smiles (plus cash) worked very well.

One of the curious things about Vodafon was that they could not tell my fluent translator in Arco the balance available on my phone. A computer must be keeping track, but no human was able to retrieve that information. Like I said, "curious."

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.