• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mobile phone service along the Camino

teambergie

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugese 2022 Frances May 2024
Hello,
we are doing our first Camino, the Coastal Way in Portugal.
Coming from the USA, what is the best mobile phone plan to have along this Camino? We will be bringing our "unlocked" 4G Samsung Galaxy S9 and can swap out the SIM card to one from a local/EU carrier.
Since our plans are to be in the EU for our allotted 90 days and then in countries NOT in the Shengen Zone (Ireland, Croatia) what would be the best carrier to sign up with for the entire EU area?
Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Since our plans are to be in the EU for our allotted 90 days and then in countries NOT in the Shengen Zone (Ireland, Croatia) what would be the best carrier to sign up with for the entire EU area?
I think you may have misunderstood the difference between the EU and the Schengen travel zone. Ireland and Croatia are members of the EU and the rules which govern mobile phone roaming service apply in those countries too. Nothing to do with the Schengen agreement.

I think you may have misunderstood the difference between the EU and the Schengen travel zone. Ireland and Croatia are members of the EU and the rules which govern mobile phone roaming service apply in those countries too. Nothing to do with the Schengen agreement.
Right, understand. We will be visiting those countries along with our other travels. From what I understand US citizens (amongst others) can be in the Schengen travel zone for a maximum 90 days. We just want to visit Ireland/Croatia so we can be "over there" since it's a long flight from the west coast of the US. We're looking for some mobile plan, or plans, that we can use that will give us good coverage while we travel. Vodaphone?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Vodafone and Orange would be good bets. I believe they both offer pay-as-you-go capability and decent coverage.

Enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino!

Vodafone and Orange would be good bets. I believe they both offer pay-as-you-go capability and decent coverage.

Enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino!
Thanks, looking at plans now. Thanks for the invite to Pilgrim House; we're planning on staying in Santiago for a few days.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just use my ATT plan from home - works fine all over Europe. Been through most of the Western/Central European countries and as far east as Poland, Czech, Hungary.

We will be bringing our "unlocked" 4G Samsung Galaxy S9 and can swap out the SIM card to one from a local/EU carrier.
Check to see if your phone has dual SIM capacity, some Galaxy S9 phones have this feature and others don't. This Google search will help you with this.

Samsung Galaxy S9 dual sim

I've written a number of forum posts on the advantages of a dual SIM. Here are some:

I'm sorry for the lack of curation but I've just got back from a trip and lack enough time right now.

Thanks, looking at plans now. Thanks for the invite to Pilgrim House; we're planning on staying in Santiago for a few days.
Vodaphone pay-as-you-go could also be an option. You can top it up at ATMs in Europe as you run low on time--at least you can in Portugal and would expect this would be true otherwise.

As a North American who "believed" we were technologically at the top of the world I was amazed to find how simply this system worked in Europe. ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm lazy. From another thread below is my answer. I'm in Spain now. I have the 15 euro Vodafone 50GB internet, 800 minutes of calling to the U.S.,and unlimited calls in Spain. Weird 28 day pre-pay plan. No contract.. no commitments. When you're r done with Spain, stop renewing.. I believe you get some minutes and GB in other EU countries.

When you go to Ireland and Croatia, get another pre-pay cell plan.

Here my answer from another phone thread:

"I'm very happy with Vodafone in Spain. 15 euro for 50GB internet, 800 minutes calling time to the United States, unlimited calls in Spain. You get some internet and calls while in France (not exactly sure of the exact details).

No contract. When you are done, stop prepaying. Weird 28 day billing cycle but I deal with it. Prepaying the next billing cycle is easy. Texts are extra few cents per text (weird by U.S. standards).

I had excellent coverage on Via de Plata, Norte, and Levante (I had Yoigo before. Didn't work very well in the hinterlands. I didn't have a phone while on Camino Frances.). Vodafone does all the technical stuff for you at their local stores. Just make sure you have an unlocked GSM (non Verizon) phone. Easy peasey."

I can’t speak to Android capability, but a Verizon IPhone will work with a local SIM card in Europe. I’ve been a Verizon subscriber for ten years and have used local SIM cards in both Germany and Spain with no problems. I just took it to the store and they swapped out the SIM card for me. All IPhones (since about version 5/6?) are unlocked. Verizon iPhones work on other networks (even in the U.S. if you change to another carrier). You just can’t use “any” phone on a Verizon network. It has to be a Verizon phone. No iPhones have dual physical SIM capability, unfortunately.

You just can’t use “any” phone on a Verizon network. It has to be a Verizon phone.
Google's Pixel line of phones work on the Verizon network. They don't have to be bought from Verizon either.
No iPhones have dual physical SIM capability, unfortunately.
Newer iPhones through have eSIMs. That allows one number/network on the eSIM and another on a physical SIM.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Google's Pixel line of phones work on the Verizon network. They don't have to be bought from Verizon either.

Newer iPhones through have eSIMs. That allows one number/network on the eSIM and another on a physical SIM.
I’ve been reading about eSims and I’m going to try that next month when I go to Spain.

I’ve been reading about eSims and I’m going to try that next month when I go to Spain.
I suggest putting your current number onto the eSIM now. If you're willing to spend $10 you could experiment with two numbers beforehand with this cheap prepaid plan:
I should have tried this myself. I use Google FI with expensive data, 6 GB for $60 above the text and talk. On a domestic trip last month I used 6 GB but with a T-Mobile plan as a second number I could have gotten that for $25 and still have FI benefits.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back