• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mobile phones and safety

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
The recent discussion about this reminded me of my own anxieties preparing to walk the remote Via De La Plata in January. Like any walk in a remote area if you are walking on your own, as I was, it is sensible to let people know when/where you are leaving and when/where you expect to arrive. Stretches of the VdlP are so remote that it is only sensible to take a mobile phone ( and a whistle and compass! ) - what I discovered before going and checked out with Ivar today is that:

112 is the number to use for real emergencies.

It works all over Europe - I tried it on my UK mobile - it isn't stored
in my mobile phone book but when I dialled it up it came as EMERGENCY - so the phone recognised it.

Significantly it works even if you have no money in a pre paid phone or even if your supplier has no network - it is universal. Ivar says there does have to be some reception from another of the networks though

It works 24/7 365 days - and the operators speak in many languages

In confirming this Ivar also said:

"The important thing to remember is that you need to have cellphone
coverage (coverage by any mobile operator). Most any corner of Spain
has coverage by either Vodafone, Movistar or any other... but let's
say high up in the Pyrenees there may be spots with no coverage by any
operator. In these spots 112 would not work. I have lived in Spain for
almost 3 years now and have yet to find a spot with no coverage, but
it is important to know about it.

For a coverage map of Spain by Movistar (one of the biggest mobile
operators in Spain) have a look here:
http://www.cobertura.movistar.es/"

I found this very reassuring and I hope others do too.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Many thanks for that - and good to know that the emergency operators speak different languages. I'm learning basic Spanish, but had decided to learn how to describe both my position in relation to landmarks, and injuries/medical conditions or other emergencies. I was until recently an ER nurse practitioner (now moved on to much more enjoyable work!), and found myself packing all kinds of stuff to deal with injuries and medical emergencies. I really don't need to be a walking emergency response unit - so out it has all come again (well...apart from airway, aspirin and suture kit...)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Do they do one under 7Kg? I'm sure I could manage without clothes, toiletries, maps, sleeping bag, or any of that other unneccessary stuff.

I know, I over-prepare... I never was a Girl Guide, you see - so never got it out of my system.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.