• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mobile phones

laraine&bronwyn

Hi we are starting from Le Puy in late September. Anyone know what the mobile/hand phone reception is like on the route? And if so where might be the best place to buy French SIM cards for the phones.
regards laraine&bronwyn

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi L&B

I bought a complete locked phone at the Orange shop, though there were many other outlets and options in Le Puy. Sometimes the deal on a locked phone can be pretty good, since they want you to keep buying their credits. It's probably cheaper just to buy a SIM, but I wanted certainty that the phone would work for me. It's important to check the plan to make sure there is no lag time before all the credits are available, which can happen with promo specials on Orange products.

I found good reception in most towns, and often poor reception between towns. I remember having to walk to find hot-spots in Sauvelade and La Romieu.

You're walking in the autumn! Warm for the Aubrac, cool for the Bearn...should be wonderful!

Rob

Coverage was good for Orange, not quite so good for SFR. There are stores for both in Le Puy, closed midday and Sunday (when I was last there).

It has become quite difficult to register the SIM without a French address. The process was quite casual when we bought ours, but reports are that it now is difficult. I do not know if confidently declaring a hotel as your residence will work (know the address, phone number, and provence) , but you might want to investigate the process before you go. I don't know if buying an entire phone is easier.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Laraine and Bronwyn,

We have just returned last week from walking Le P to St. J Pied De Port.

Took two mobiles;
One for "emergency or tex messages only" from back here in Oz , the other unfortunately was locked into Optus .
A SIM card from Orange does not work if your phone is locked into another server so for 29 Euros we were given a phone [ Samsung ] and 5 euros credit. We added another 20 euros and this is what we used for booking ahead if required. There was always a french speaking person nearby , especially at night. It lasted us the walk which took 5 weeks.
Eventually you will be very close to throwing them away , thats what this beautiful path does.

In relation to buses , you have a better chance of getting a train here in Melbourne [ impossible] than planning to use this mode of transport in France.No problems in the bigger towns but they are few and far between. Just take an extra day and enjoy. When you return home you will know what this last sentance means.
If you have to then the baggage transport vehicle is readilly available.

Have a great time and don't plan too much,
Keep well,
David

Hi Laraine and Bronwyn. I am a proud non mobile phone owner. Last year I walked in France for just over 7 weeks and around 6 weeks in Spain and never used a phone once. I did check emails when I went past Bibliotecques / internet cafes, but that was my only means of contact with friends and family back in Aust. We survived the 100 or so days I was away without talking. Locoturios in Spain are where you could go if you want to make cheap phone calls home - they are all over the place. Cheers, Janet

Of course, if you have a 92-year-old mother still alive, you may want to be somewhat more accessible than the occasional internet connection.

Yep.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've just returned from walking Le Puy to Cahors. I bought a French SIM (Orange) for my unlocked phone purchased last year in Austria, plus 1 hour of time, for 40 Euros. Found it invaluable for making reservations (and changing reservations as necessary). Pay phones infrequently available especially in the small towns and hamlets. During my walk, there were many other walkers, and the lodgings were generally quite full; I had to reserve a week in advance to get my first choice. September is a very popular month for retirees to walk the route in France, and I was in a "wave". Other walkers I came across in the late part of the trip reported they were getting a bed with only one day's advance notice, but that was not my experience.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.