• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mobile telephones & Spanish telephone numbers

Bedl0w

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2011), Portuguese & Finisterre (2014), Primitivo (2016
I plan to walk the Baztanés and Francés in late spring/early summer this year. I am aware of EU roaming rules but do not entirely understand what they mean in practice. Can I use my (simple, unsmart) mobile 'phone with Irish Postmobile SIM to phone home and to book albergues while in Spain at the same cost as phone calls within Ireland? Is there any advantage in buying a Spanish SIM (which is what I did the last time).
Also I notice that many albergues listed in Gronze.com have two telephone numbers. I'm not sure why this should be. Is one a mobile phone number; is one less expensive to call than the other?​

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I plan to walk the Baztanés and Francés in late spring/early summer this year. I am aware of EU roaming rules but do not entirely understand what they mean in practice. Can I use my (simple, unsmart) mobile 'phone with Irish Postmobile SIM to phone home and to book albergues while in Spain at the same cost as phone calls within Ireland? Is there any advantage in buying a Spanish SIM (which is what I did the last time).
Also I notice that many albergues listed in Gronze.com have two telephone numbers. I'm not sure why this should be. Is one a mobile phone number; is one less expensive to call than the other?​
Usually the reason for two phone numbers listed is that one is landline and the other is mobile.
Sometimes there are even more numbers and the reason might be that there are two or three local hospitaleros but they work in shifts so the other one can run some errands etc.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi guys,
I’m from Australia and next month I’ll start the Camino.
Obviously, I won’t bring my australian SIM card otherwise it will cost me too much. I was wondering if someone can suggest me a good Spanish SIM card to use during the Camino. I’m looking for a sim that I can put money as I want plus internet and good to call in Italy where my fiancé and parents will be.

Thanks in advance

@AndyTomas - I'll give you some simplistic advice, but this is honestly my approach and it reflects my experience. The phone plans change frequently and I find it is very hard to know exactly what you are going to get, even in my home country and language. When you arrive in a town that has a few phone stores, for example Pamplona, or even en route in Madrid, walk into the nearest Orange, Vodafone or Movistar store and tell them what you want. You will likely want talk and data. Tell them you want to call within Spain and to Italy , as well as have data. Pick something that seems to meet your needs. After 1 month you might run into some issues about topping up the amount, but by that time you will be more mellow and able to deal with it. :p:cool:

@AndyTomas - I'll give you some simplistic advice, but this is honestly my approach and it reflects my experience. The phone plans change frequently and I find it is very hard to know exactly what you are going to get, even in my home country and language. When you arrive in a town that has a few phone stores, for example Pamplona, or even en route in Madrid, walk into the nearest Orange, Vodafone or Movistar store and tell them what you want. You will likely want talk and data. Tell them you want to call within Spain and to Italy , as well as have data. Pick something that seems to meet your needs. After 1 month you might run into some issues about topping up the amount, but by that time you will be more mellow and able to deal with it. :p:cool:
Yeah mate, obviously I have to wait until I’m in Pamplona but to have some information before in Spain can always help.
Movistar is the worst. Bad reception around Spain and expensive too, so definitely no the one to look for.
I was looking Vodafone and Orange in Spain. Orange has a good deal at he moment and it will finish at the end of April, which is perfect for me, because I’ll arrive in Pamplona the 28th.
Vodafone has the same deal like Orange but the deal will expire end of March.

Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yeah mate, obviously I have to wait until I’m in Pamplona but to have some information before in Spain can always help.
Movistar is the worst. Bad reception around Spain and expensive too, so definitely no the one to look for.
I was looking Vodafone and Orange in Spain. Orange has a good deal at he moment and it will finish at the end of April, which is perfect for me, because I’ll arrive in Pamplona the 28th.
Vodafone has the same deal like Orange but the deal will expire end of March.

Thanks
If you can, buy a sim card in a country other than Spain, this way your calls to Italy will be included in the tariff. If you buy a Spanish sim your calls to Italy will be charged at the international rate, much more expensive.

If you can, buy a sim card in a country other than Spain, this way your calls to Italy will be included in the tariff. If you buy a Spanish sim your calls to Italy will be charged at the international rate, much more expensive.
Well not really. Almost all the big companies now include international calls too in the contract.

However for Australian people today while I was googling for a SIM card to buy, I found this website very interesting where they send when you are still in Australia the SIM card that you can put on your phone and activate it when you land in Europe. There are included 72 countries. In addition, they give to you 12GB, 3000 minutes of call in those 71 countries and it is valid only for 30 days. Pretty awesome 😎
The price is very cheap only $49 AUD.
The SIM card is UK so the number will be UK.

Here you can find attached the website:

I hope it can be helpful for everyone will do the Camino.

Let me know guys

Thanks @AndyTomas
I was going to ask the same question (and I actually have a Huawei that I bought in London and was using throughout our stay there)
Obviously "buy in Madrid" does not work for those of us who will fly to France and start at SJPdP and 'wait until Pamplona' leaves a little more 'un-connected' days that I would like to be un-connected.
This may just fit the bill!!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well not really. Almost all the big companies now include international calls too in the contract.

However for Australian people today while I was googling for a SIM card to buy, I found this website very interesting where they send when you are still in Australia the SIM card that you can put on your phone and activate it when you land in Europe. There are included 72 countries. In addition, they give to you 12GB, 3000 minutes of call in those 71 countries and it is valid only for 30 days. Pretty awesome 😎
The price is very cheap only $49 AUD.
The SIM card is UK so the number will be UK.

Here you can find attached the website:

I hope it can be helpful for everyone will do the Camino.

Let me know guys
Thank you for the link. It is a pity that it is valid for 30 days and you need multiple SIMs which is kind of inconvenient. Otherwise, it is great value. I will remember this for my other travels. BTW, I am also Aussie and am planning to start my walk on 1 May.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.