• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mochilla service campaign

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you look at the Mochilla service offered it comes under the Frances from Palencia just because you havent seen it doesnt mean it doesnt exist

As I have no interest in luggage transport services I have no knowledge of whether such a service exists from Palencia or not. That was not my point. You stated that Palencia "its part of the camino Frances goes down or up to Palenica and then to Fromista through Carrion...... " That is factually incorrect. The Camino Frances runs from Castrojeriz to Fromista and then to Carrion de los Condes without ever passing through the town of Palencia. You may have been misled by the Correos website and confused the town of Palencia with the province of the same name.

O Cebreiro is the first village within Galicia on the Camino Frances. It is accessible by Alsa coach from Madrid or Ponferrada by travelling to the nearby village of Piedrafita do Cebreiro and walking from there. You have narrowed your options a great deal by insisting upon luggage transfer services and booking your journey in the winter off-season. I think you are correct when you say that the only such service available will be with Correos from O Cebreiro westwards. Although you are anxious because little accommodation appears as available on booking.com I think it unlikely that you will find the albergues full at that time of year. If you do decide to walk from O Cebreiro or some point westwards in March I think you will find beds are available. If you decide not to continue with this planned camino and make an attempt at another time then I would suggest that you confirm the availability of luggage transfers before you make travel arrangements if they are vital to you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As I have no interest in luggage transport services I have no knowledge of whether such a service exists from Palencia or not. That was not my point. You stated that Palencia "its part of the camino Frances goes down or up to Palenica and then to Fromista through Carrion...... " That is factually incorrect. The Camino Frances runs from Castrojeriz to Fromista and then to Carrion de los Condes without ever passing through the town of Palencia. You may have been misled by the Correos website and confused the town of Palencia with the province of the same name.

O Cebreiro is the first village within Galicia on the Camino Frances. It is accessible by Alsa coach from Madrid or Ponferrada by travelling to the nearby village of Piedrafita do Cebreiro and walking from there. You have narrowed your options a great deal by insisting upon luggage transfer services and booking your journey in the winter off-season. I think you are correct when you say that the only such service available will be with Correos from O Cebreiro westwards. Although you are anxious because little accommodation appears as available on booking.com I think it unlikely that you will find the albergues full at that time of year. If you do decide to walk from O Cebreiro or some point westwards in March I think you will find beds are available. If you decide not to continue with this planned camino and make an attempt at another time then I would suggest that you confirm the availability of luggage transfers before you make travel arrangements if they are vital to you.

ha ha yes I naively thought the service would be available all year that people would not want to walk in the heat of the day in August - I will look at that option I just didnt like the route from Lugo it seemed to roady ( I travelled up from Lugo to Santiago this year after my walk from the Portugese way and it seemed a lot of road walking and not a lot of spectacular nature through forrests and fields (or by them ) We shall see I am waiting to hear from Jacotrans if they offer the service in March their website gestion does nt work very well or its on a dial up service or something....

Palencia is on the Camino Madrid, not the Frances. Use Google Earth...

it comes under Frances though for some reason hence my reference to it ( that and the mochilla services dont have a Madrid camino listed on their sites ) :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Palencia is on the Camino Madrid, not the Frances. Use Google Earth...
but you being trained in the army could carry my load :)

I was interested as well how you kept the socks in place under your armpits....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

isint O cebreiro rather cold and snowy at the end of March ? (21st)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you look at the Mochilla service offered it comes under the Frances from Palencia just because you havent seen it doesnt mean it doesnt exist
Palencia does exist, yes, but what I and @Bradypus are trying to tell you is that the TOWN Palencia is not ON Camino Frances.
BUT Camino Frances goes THROUGH Autonomous Province of Palencia (part of Castilla y Leon), that is true :D

@sunshines if you take a look at the excellent website gronze.com you may get a clearer idea of the Camino Francés route. It shows you exactly which towns the route passes through. The place names can be a little confusing because some of the names of provinces through which the Camino passes are also the names of towns and cities, some of which are on the Francés route (e.g. Burgos, León, etc) and some of which are not (eg Palencia, Lugo). Sometimes a route map can help with planning - and the maps on commercial provider websites are not always the clearest.

Buen Camino whatever you decide

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Palencia does exist, yes, but what I and @Bradypus are trying to tell you is that the TOWN Palencia is not ON Camino Frances.
BUT Camino Frances goes THROUGH Autonomous Province of Palencia (part of Castilla y Leon), that is true :D

I know its not on the list but one site I think wanted to determine the route in stages of Frances so that stage was marked Palencia and yes it doesnt go through there

I m doing the O cebrerio now its been a nightmare I will just rent another body next time

everything except the O Coto place is booked had to change the flight (lose the flight ) but I gain more time and fly back one day earlier so it all evens out in the end... now to dream

No you can suffer It will pain me to watch you :)
Through the years I have seen many wrecks after the first days on the Camino. Funnily enough, many young people; oldtimers are just going by with ease. I believe this old man will pass you on the first day: Done it before, many times.;) "It will pain me to watch you :)" I don't think so. But I am one of those who will be there to help ease your pains. :):)

On a serious note: You really need to know where you are going; stages; places, contour, etc.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@sunshines, we know Palencia exists, some of us have even been there, it just isn’t on the Camino francés, as @Bradypus pointed out :rolleyes:
Anyway, enjoy your planning, wherever it takes you! :)

I know its not on the list but one site I think wanted to determine the route in stages of Frances so that stage was marked Palencia and yes it doesnt go through there
Funny, those conversations with @sunshines :D:D:D

Last edited:

Very true. I wonder if they'll update all the maps to show it has now moved North 20 kms to be on the Frances? ;)

A new town to visit! :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very true. I wonder if they'll update all the maps to show it has now moved North 20 kms to be on the Frances? ;)

A new town to visit! :D

as with politics and post offices they change borders for their purposes ;)

Mate, if you thought the CF section was hot, boring, no trees etc then the Vdlp is not for you! The good news is that there are lots of ways to Santiago and half the fun is researching a route that suits you.
Thanks for the advice. Sounds good to me. I love researching Caminos.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Going for long recreational walks in Spain is not a basic human right. It is most certainly not fair that we can do it at all, and most of the world cannot.

The Caminos do not provide that service. Individual entrepreneurs do, when it is fair to them.

Those taxis already exist. Do you just want them at a price that is not fair to the driver?
Huh?

I'd just like to add my voice to the people who think a luggage transportation service on the Via de la Plata would make the route less special. If you want convenience walk the Frances. A

Through the years I have seen many wrecks after the first days on the Camino. Funnily enough, many young people; oldtimers are just going by with ease. I believe this old man will pass you on the first day: Done it before, many times.;) "It will pain me to watch you :)" I don't think so. But I am one of those who will be there to help ease your pains. :):)

On a serious note: You really need to know where you are going; stages; places, contour, etc.
12 weeks minus one day to go now I am all sorted ....

11 weeks 6 days to go.... all sorted anyone who will be walking that way (Sarria to Santiago route) and wants to do a few kms at snails pace with me give me a shout.....

11 weeks 6 days to go.... all sorted anyone who will be walking that way (Sarria to Santiago route) and wants to do a few kms at snails pace with me give me a shout.....
You should start your own thread rather than tagging on to old unrelated threads.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
To be fair @sunshines did start this thread quite some time ago - though the original topic does seem to have got a little lost along the way....

Thanks @Bradypus :) and @trecile I did mention a while back that I had another thread with this now but its nice to have friendly conversation no matter where it takes us as I'm sure with most conversations..... life is too short to be one track minded (forgive the pun)

Palencia is the name of the provincial capital. It is also the name of the province. The Mochila service goes across the province along the Camino Frances from Itero de la Vega right through to Fromista, Carrion de los Condes, to San Nicolas del Real Camino, when it crosses the line into Leon province.

The Paq Mochila service does not serve Palencia city, because it is not on the Camino path. It certainly does serve Palencia province.

I noticed business cards and flyers for mochilla services at some albergues on the VDLP - (I think I saw them around Plasencia, Salamanca, Zamora etc.). I got the feeling that they operate in the peak seasons. A few more services and albergues would help the route to attract more pilgrims, That would make it less attractive to some of us, and more attractive to others.
In contrast to the CF, where the sheer number of pilgrims means that private enterprises are eager to invest, I think services on the VDLP need some other support - either from external subsidies or from highly motivated volunteers.
I have heard that some areas on the VDLP (e.g. Merida) lack a vibrant local Camino Association, which means that albergues are few and far between, waymarking is patchy, and financial support isn't flowing in as much as it could. (Contrast this with the Camino Mozarabe, which has "grown up," in the last few years with lots of new albergues, thanks to some very active Camino Associations and generous support from groups like American Pilgrims on the Camino). I have the feeling that rather than mochilla services, what the VDLP could really use is more vibrancy in the local Camino associations. But it may be difficult to persuade a city like Merida, which has no problem attracting tourists, that it needs to do something to grow its pilgrim numbers.

But, you know, there are lots of routes to walk and some of them will always be less travelled and less well supported than others. Is that unfair? I don't think so.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if and how we could start a campaign to get the mochilla (backpack) forwarding service up and running from the beginning of the Sevilla road up to Ourense . It might be a good littler earner for a small private individual with a car or small van at their disposal. the Ourense people said it is not logistical. can we start a petition or put posters up at the beginning of every town or in every bar....I m sure that is how these other forwarding services started. Its kind of making me doubtful because my problem is knees and back .... (strain on the knees because of weight on the back) .. I wouldnt mind a sherpa but that would cost a pretty penny. it is a big stretch of road though but what about the bus service or the local bus service I wonder... Should we put our heads together????

Sunshines:

If there was enough volume an entrepreneur would be out there providing the service. My advice would be to continue walking routes with the service already in place. Until volumes reach a level where someone feels they can make money, I do not foresee the establishment of such a service on the VdlP or other less traveled routes.

An option might be to work with a guide or tour service. I am not sure if they exist on this route.
The key is until volumes create a demand for any of these services, they will not exist.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back