• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Modern architecture on the Camino

pepi

Time of past OR future Camino
Last: Sept 2022
next 🤷
Spain is a very progressive leader in modern architecture, (Calatrava for example) and I personally would be very interested in learning, what highlights in such architecture can be found along the Caminos.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Pepi,

To begin your research type the word architecture into the blue search box at the top of the forum page, hit and see what pops up

Physical preservation/legal protection of historic sites/buildings has been the core of my professional life as an architectural historian. Of course every structure/place can not be saved. However when something important or unique is left to decay an irreplaceable part of history disappears.

Historia Nostra a Spanish preservation organization has prepared an interactive map of such endangered patrimony, ListaRojaPatrimonio.
Scan it to see what is currently threatened along your camino route; try to see such sites before they disappear forever.

In Burgos the Centro de Arte Contemporáneo de Burgos (CAB) has information on contemporary art and architecture
See >>
www.cabdeburgos.com

One of my favorite mid 20th c. structures 7 km west of Leon in
La Virgen del Camino is an extraordinary mid-20th century church. The town is named for a famous 15th century figure of the Virgin holding the dead body of Christ. Today the figure is in a splendid church designed in the 1960s by a Dominican monk, Francisco Coello, a follower of the Brutalist style of Le Corbusier. Located directly on the Camino Frances at Av Astorga, 87, in the midst of chaotic suburb the church is a superbly maintained architectural gem as well as a haven of peace. Be sure to enter it; the calm interior is splendidly lit with deep chrome yellow glass.

In Santiago don't miss Peter Eisenman's contemporary and controversial hillside City of Culture .
See >>
http://www.eisenmanarchitects.com/
Also visit the offices and exhibits of the Consorico de Santiago to learn more of the city's urban planning both ancient and today. See >>
www.consorciodesantiago.org

Happy planning and looking!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Not on a camino, but close to both the Camino Frances and the Vasco is Frank Gehry's
Hotel Marqués de Riscal:
20210428_120413.jpg
Screenshot_20210428-114705_OsmAnd.jpg

Worth a detour if modern architecture is your thing, but worth a stay only if you have money to waste, and the temperament to do that.

A viable detour from the Frances would be Day 1. Logoño-Hotel Marqués de Riscal
Day 2. Hotel Marqués de Riscal - Haro
Day 3. Haro - Santo Domingo de la Calzada
This could be shortened by simply returning to the Frances directly from the hotel, but Haro is a fascinating and historic town on the Vasco - really worth a visit.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Metropol Parasol in Sevilla .Via de la Plata.

And also on the Via de la Plata in Mérida the national museum of roman art by architect Rafael Moneo.
Old and new combined and all very understated.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Not on a camino, but close to both the Camino Frances and the Vasco is Frank Gehry's
Hotel Marqués de Riscal:
View attachment 98897
View attachment 98898

Worth a detour if modern architecture is your thing, but worth a stay only if you have money to waste, and the temperament to do that.

A viable detour from the Frances would be Day 1. Logoño-Hotel Marqués de Riscal
Day 2. Hotel Marqués de Riscal - Haro
Day 3. Haro - Santo Domingo de la Calzada
This could be shortened by simply returning to the Frances directly from the hotel, but Haro is a fascinating and historic town on the Vasco - really worth a visit.
Hmmm. Gehry is sometimes one of my favourites and sometimes not. I love his Guggenheim in Bilbao, and Piex in Barcelona. There is *no* vantage point in Toronto from which to appreciate the exterior of the AGO, but I love the interior gallery that looks like an over-turned ship. This one.... it is structurally gorgeous —- like God-sized ribbons laid down on earth.... but so *out of place*.... and I’ve really become one for “does this piece fit the landscape?”

So I love it on its own and thank you for the image! On the other, I want to shake Mr. Gerry and say, “Can’t you do *anything* else? You’ve become a parody of yourself!”

I may have to give up drinking the Marqués de Riscal wines we can get at home... if this is what they do with the gobs of money....

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone highly recommend an intro, fast track Spanish course, anywhere in Spain? I took Spanish lessons years ago, but was waylaid by learning Dutch, and couldn't cope with both...
Mark Taubert in FranceInfo, 24 Mars, 2024 , describes a new GR hike which has been planned for the past 10 years along the Seine passing the locations where famous 19th c Impressionist...
Moderator, please place this in the appropriate thread. Thank you. Well, it's about time.😊👍...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.