A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

Modifications

Ulysse

I do not like the fact that you can now only see the last 3 posts on the forum index page. We used to see the last 7 or 8 posts, which was more interesting and we were more prone to answer questions and offer assistance.

I wonder if I am alone with this feeling before I contact Ivar.

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Mmmm. See what you mean.
Is there some way of opening the posts up to a larger number perhaps?

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

I see your point and have now changed it back to showing the 10 last posts in the top right hand corner of the main forum page.

I have been doing some testing to see if I can get the forum to run more smoothly, since it has had a few bumps in the road lately due to "too many visiting at one time". This is ofcourse great, but the server seems to be struggeling.

Like William says, you can see all the new posts since your last visit by visiting this link:
search.php?search_id=newposts

Maybe you can bookmark it? (Members only)

One question: At the bottom of the forum, I show the 10 last newly created threads. Do you find this usefull? Do you read it? Can I remove it? I hope by removing some parts that the server can hang-in-there a bit more.... it is not even April, how will the server do in July :shock:

Greetings from 24c Santiago,
Ivar

Ulysse

I appreciate your efforts Ivar. I know what it is to run a php bb. I found that many of those visitors on my forum were in fact spams. Some mods exist to screen out these unwelcome visitors.

You could reduce to 5 the last posts, also 5 last at the bottom of your index page would be enough and perhaps assist you in speeding the whole thing. You might consider in last resort a change to a better host as prices are really quite low. But then it is quite a job!

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Ulysse, I think I will try to keep the 10 latest posts.

A few minutes ago the site was down again "too many connections", so I did remove the 10 last new topics (the ones at the bottom of the forum front page). This way the page loads faster.

If anyone feel that this takes away something important from the forum, I will consider putting it back. If not I will leave it like it is now.

Un saludo,
Ivar

omar504

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016,2017,2018
For what it's worth-I always look to the top right hand side and not the list at the bottom.

I use the RSS file and rarely look at the frontpage. IMO the frontpage is far too cluttered; many if not most of the 'boxes' would be better on a different page with a simple link on the frontpage - then it would load faster for those who just want to see the postings.

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 114 14.5%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.4%