• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Moissac, France to CDG via Bordeaux?

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
I am walking the Le Puy route as far as Moissac before returning to the CDG airport in June. My last night in Moissac I am staying at Gite Ultreia and in my email communications the owner suggested taking the train to Bordeaux, then another train to CDG. I was surprised as I hadn't heard of anyone doing this. My forum inquiries and research have always suggested going to Lyon by train, then another train back to the airport from there.
*Anyone know what is the easiest option to return in just one day?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
And while people are on this subject of transportation, any suggestions on getting back to Lyon from SJPP in July?

And while people are on this subject of transportation, any suggestions on getting back to Lyon from SJPP in July?

Sorry, forgot to mention that like Chris Camino, I'm walking from LePuy.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My forum inquiries and research have always suggested going to Lyon by train, then another train back to the airport from there.

Have a look at the map...:
Moissac - Lyon: approx. 410km
Moissac - Bordeaux: approx. 180km

So Bordeaux is in fact much closer to Moissac. So the advice is correct. The trains to Paris take ~2:10 hours anyway (which is really fast!), regardless if it's Lyon or Bordeaux.

Harald

Have a look at the map...:
Moissac - Lyon: approx. 410km
Moissac - Bordeaux: approx. 180km

So Bordeaux is in fact much closer to Moissac. So the advice is correct. The trains to Paris take ~2:10 hours anyway (which is really fast!), regardless if it's Lyon or Bordeaux.

Harald
Thank you! That does make logical sense. Is the train from Bordeaux a TVG fast train? I ask because the nearby CDG hotel I am staying at has a free shuttle service to pick you up at the TVG station. I'm not sure if all the various trains come into a main train station at the airport or are located in different areas. I guess I need to scrutinize a detailed airport map.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I took that route in reverse last summer. I think the TGV from Paris was heading towards Bordeaux, but the connection is at Agen (before Bordeaux) for the regional train to Moissac

Is the train from Bordeaux a TVG fast train?

Yes, usually. I assume there are also slower trains, but the normal ones are the TGV trains (=train à grande vitesse = high-speed train).

I ask because the nearby CDG hotel I am staying at has a free shuttle service to pick you up at the TVG station. I'm not sure if all the various trains come into a main train station at the airport or are located in different areas.

CDG is only one of the Paris airports, and Paris also has multiple TGV train stations. There's no main train station. But all airports and train stations are connected by the Métro (if you like, here's some general information on the Paris railway system). Trains from Bordeaux usually arrive at the southern located Gare de Montparnasse. Take the Métro line #4 (direction: Port de Clignancourt) to St.Michel station, then change to the B Line which will take you to CDG airport. If you've got some time, you can visit the Notre Dame cathedral, situated near the Cité station.

Here's a Métro plan. You can buy Métro tickets in the TGV's buffet car during the journey, they do speak english there.

Bon voyage ;) !
Harald

Rome2Rio shows Moissac to Paris as being quickest through Bordeaux.

You could also take the train to Toulouse and fly to Paris from there. Maybe there's a deal?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am walking the Le Puy route as far as Moissac before returning to the CDG airport in June. My last night in Moissac I am staying at Gite Ultreia and in my email communications the owner suggested taking the train to Bordeaux, then another train to CDG. I was surprised as I hadn't heard of anyone doing this. My forum inquiries and research have always suggested going to Lyon by train, then another train back to the airport from there.
*Anyone know what is the easiest option to return in just one day?

There are several «direct» TGV services each day from Bordeaux to Paris CDG airport ... I took the afternoon service last year in mid-October ... walked out of the train station and my airport hotel was there in front of me ... a cinch! So if you prefer to travel direct and not via Gare Montparnasse it is possible ... the line from Bordeaux to Paris MPN has been upgraded [opened in 2017] from fast [3 hours] to super-fast [2:10 hours] ...

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back