• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Moissac to Aire-sur l'Adour

Thornley

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances x 2 , Norte x 2 , Le Puy x 3 , Portuguese x 2,
Mont St Michel , Primitivo .
Because of a sudden tragedy with family in the UK a few years ago this section was missed.
Both Rom and Aideen / Odile and Andre were wonderful in the help provided with urgent travel arrangements through Toulouse.

My wife will walk this section in July 15 , continue to StJPdP and then turn " right " and take 4 -5 days to Biarritz.

Would appreciate tips on accommodation on this section , especially to Aire.
Thanks Kanga in anticipation..lol.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hmmm. @Thornley I remember Aire as being a place where our accommodation was in a rather boring hotel, the first place we came to, on the entrance to town. It had been a very long hot and dusty walk so we took the first option. It was OK but not a highlight. We used the MMDD book and our accommodation was pretty much exclusively out of that. At this stage we mostly stayed in chambre d'hôtes, some of which were a fair walk off the path. My MMDD book with notes I lent to someone and it hasn't returned home so I'd be guessing if I tried to recommend specific places (it was six years ago!)

I'd just say, if you have the time, take the 'detour' to La Romieu- I thought it was an interesting town. And if you are seeing Rom and Aideen again in Moissac say hi from me!
Margaret

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Will start there Margaret , they remembered you in 09 when we mentioned your name on advice given.
Good to hear from you mate, keep well , David

Yes, we detoured to Le Romieu (although I don't really regard that as a detour! More a dogs leg bend in the road)

@Thornley I'm getting a list for you - one of my fellow walkers has some details in her diary.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My blog has the lodging details when I walked that section. The hill towns are definitely the highlight in this stretch, as the karst landscape is not very interesting.

Thornley, one of my favourite places on this stretch was Gite duBarry- a farm gite out in the countryside, near Lelin-Lapujolle- not all that far from Aire-sur-l'Adour really. It's a few years ago now since I was there (2008), but I found the people running it lovely. Apparently the gite communal in Auvillar is amazing but it was 'complet' when I was there. You obviously already know about Odile and Andre in Aire-sur-l'Adour. I found Nogaro to be the town I would most like to have missed on the whole Chemin- wished I could have stayed in l'Arbladoise just past it, as I heard that was a great place to stay from various sources, but it was 'complet' when I was walking.
Margaret

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first time I stayed in the communal Gite in Nogaro and it was pretty basic. I think the second time (with friends) we stayed before Nogaro in a rather weird fantasy Swiss chalet with yurts - am I in the right neck of the woods? You see the yurts from the path. I also seemed to have walked two different routes out of Montreal - only on the second walk did we go past and tour the amazing Roman villa at Seviac - definitely a highlight.

If you happen to overnight in Miradoux, I recommend Gite d'etape Bonte Divine. The young couple did exquisite restoration of their house and the food is superb. Dolfina

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just a few notes:
Maison du Chat Bleu is a treat in Auvillar. The cat's name is Diva. Only breakfast, but an elegant breakfast.
As you enter Condom, Le Chant des Oiseaux was a fine gite with dinner in the park-like garden.
Barcelone du Gers, nothing much of a town, but there's a very new gite as well as maison d'hote called Hospitalet du Cosset. Only drawback is the blowhard patron so it's best if you don't speak French or stay in the gite. The lady of the house is lovely and a fine cook.
In Lanne Soubiran, Le Presbytere, a maison d'hote right alongside the trail, hosted by Michel and Marinette, was a delightful old restored building full of African art. Fine meals too.

I started from Moissac in March of the year 5 but, strangely enough, have absolutely no memories of Aire-sur-L'adour!!

Don't know if any of this will help .....

That evening - Saint Antoine was a farmhouse, E. Dupont, and also a gite d'etape but they weren't doing food, though friendly. When I arrived at Lectoure the refugios were still closed but I found a hotel/restaurant at the bottom of the hill on the way out of town. Cheap and comfortable, the St Jacques de Compostelle. At Condom I stayed at the huge municipal and it was rather good, though echoey as it was empty but for two other pilgrims. Condom has to be the best place in the world to send postcards from!
At Eauze I stayed in the wonderful municipal gite, felt quite medieval - I picked the key up from the tourist office and put it through the letter box when I left.
Nogaro ... errmm ...municipal gite - remember nothing about it!
Next day the town I stopped in - both refugios were closed and the hotel was closed for a refit .. had to walk on to the municipal at Miramont - a 45 kms day. Vastly improved when the mayor turned up with a bottle of fine wine to toast the peregrinos (there was a young American couple there as well - they worked in Japan and were sweet but I think resented me being there as they had it all to themselves until I arrived, spoiled their frolics I think!).
Next day was a short one, to Arzacq - the only refugio there, was excellent, huge place, I was given my own room. Run by a gay guy who I think was "the only gay in the village" (English/Welsh joke) who seemed rather lonely and talked to me lots.
Next stop was at Arthez le Bearn - terrific refugio, municipal - asked in a bar and was directed to it .. old woman across the road had the key, was an 'ordinary' house that the council had done up as a refugio, well appointed with tea and coffee in the cupboards - provided by them. Two council officials turned up with clipboards and asked, as they had only just opened for the season, if everything was ok and how could it be improved. The community had spent money doing it up and wanted pilgrims to be happy there - delightful.
Then Navarrenx, Gite etape - ah, but I have gone too far!!

I started from Moissac in March of the year 5 but, strangely enough, have absolutely no memories of Aire-sur-L'adour!!

Don't know if any of this will help .....

That evening - Saint Antoine was a farmhouse, E. Dupont, and also a gite d'etape but they weren't doing food, though friendly. When I arrived at Lectoure the refugios were still closed but I found a hotel/restaurant at the bottom of the hill on the way out of town. Cheap and comfortable, the St Jacques de Compostelle. At Condom I stayed at the huge municipal and it was rather good, though echoey as it was empty but for two other pilgrims. Condom has to be the best place in the world to send postcards from!
At Eauze I stayed in the wonderful municipal gite, felt quite medieval - I picked the key up from the tourist office and put it through the letter box when I left.
Nogaro ... errmm ...municipal gite - remember nothing about it!
Next day the town I stopped in - both refugios were closed and the hotel was closed for a refit .. had to walk on to the municipal at Miramont - a 45 kms day. Vastly improved when the mayor turned up with a bottle of fine wine to toast the peregrinos (there was a young American couple there as well - they worked in Japan and were sweet but I think resented me being there as they had it all to themselves until I arrived, spoiled their frolics I think!).
Next day was a short one, to Arzacq - the only refugio there, was excellent, huge place, I was given my own room. Run by a gay guy who I think was "the only gay in the village" (English/Welsh joke) who seemed rather lonely and talked to me lots.
Next stop was at Arthez le Bearn - terrific refugio, municipal - asked in a bar and was directed to it .. old woman across the road had the key, was an 'ordinary' house that the council had done up as a refugio, well appointed with tea and coffee in the cupboards - provided by them. Two council officials turned up with clipboards and asked, as they had only just opened for the season, if everything was ok and how could it be improved. The community had spent money doing it up and wanted pilgrims to be happy there - delightful.
Then Navarrenx, Gite etape - ah, but I have gone too far!!

Even in" Oz" David , we are aware of the name of the only gay guy in the village.
A very funny series it was . Thanks for the input , Angela has recorded all.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just a few notes:
Maison du Chat Bleu is a treat in Auvillar. The cat's name is Diva. Only breakfast, but an elegant breakfast.
As you enter Condom, Le Chant des Oiseaux was a fine gite with dinner in the park-like garden.
Barcelone du Gers, nothing much of a town, but there's a very new gite as well as maison d'hote called Hospitalet du Cosset. Only drawback is the blowhard patron so it's best if you don't speak French or stay in the gite. The lady of the house is lovely and a fine cook.
In Lanne Soubiran, Le Presbytere, a maison d'hote right alongside the trail, hosted by Michel and Marinette, was a delightful old restored building full of African art. Fine meals too.
Thanks Billy Mac

And where will Thornley be hiking?
Hi Tom,
We will visit our friends in Concots , and this time it will be on market day with the restr. in Bach open also.
Then mate we will head to Moissac and commence walking there as we missed 130km a few years ago because of the death of Angela's auntie in the UK
On reaching StJPdP we will "turn right'' and walk to Biarritz in the valley, then continue to Santo Domingo hopefully on a path with only a few pilgrims .
We hope to commence in either mid June or later in July which the boss is against.
I think the crowds actually die down a fraction in August but Her Majesty does not like the heat when walking.
Hope your return to the Lot was wonderful.
Keep well mate,
David and Angela

Last edited:
The first time I stayed in the communal Gite in Nogaro and it was pretty basic. I think the second time (with friends) we stayed before Nogaro in a rather weird fantasy Swiss chalet with yurts - am I in the right neck of the woods? You see the yurts from the path. I also seemed to have walked two different routes out of Montreal - only on the second walk did we go past and tour the amazing Roman villa at Seviac - definitely a highlight.

Kanga , could it have been Gite Relais Lu Haget @ Le Haget , with lady called Stephanie?
I was thinking of staying after Eauze.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Kanga , could it have been Gite Relais Lu Haget @ Le Haget , with lady called Stephanie?
I stayed at the communal gite in Nogaro after Eauze (early October 2014). I shared a private room with 2 single beds/shared bathroom with another walker for 13e per person. The beds were all single beds. No bunk beds. The gite was decent, clean and spacious.

Yes - I'm also possibly confusing towns and gites.... But that one definitely rings a bell.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back