• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mojones on the Camino Portugués

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
The distance plates on the mojones on the Camino Portugués are (or were in 2016) glazed white ceramic with P.K. followed by a number, the distance to Santiago. I guess that the 'K' stands for kilometre, but what does the 'P' stand for? 'Portugués' seems the obvious answer but 'Portugués kilometre(s)' doesn't make much sense. Any ideas?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That seems reasonable – kilometre point. But you're not sure. It would make more sense if the P.K. were followed by an integer. I have a photo of one with P.K.9.802 and another one P.K.28.935. Also, I just noticed they have use a decimal point, rather than a decimal comma as used on the Francés. Yet another: P.K.49.995.
Why not put a 50 km mojón 5 metres back? I wonder if these three examples were once labelled P.K.10, P.K.29 and P.K.50, but their locations have been recalculated, and, rather than move the mojones, they have been relabelled with their newly determined distance from Santiago. I wonder why the mojones on the Francés do not have P.K. – I guess they were done at a different time by different people.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That seems reasonable – kilometre point. But you're not sure.
I have no doubt at all that @Pelegrin is 100% correct and that P.K. means Punto Kilométrico. It's a "thing" in Spain and France, according to Wikipedia. And just like milestones can be "placed at intervals of one mile or occasionally, parts of a mile", so can P.K. stones.

The whole point of the costly exercise of replacing the Camino waymarkers in Galicia during the past few years was to make them uniform throughout Galicia. As far as I can tell, today's mojones on the Camino Portugués have exactly the same design as the mojones on the Camino Francés.

Both decimal commas and decimals points can be used in Spain although it is recommended to use the decimal comma. The new Galician mojones make use of the decimal comma.

I find the three decimal digits on the new Galician waymarkers ridiculous. However, my reason is not that an integer or whole number is better. I find it ridiculous because it states (or pretends to state) a level of accuracy down to metre level that makes little sense for long-distance walkers. It is a useless piece of information, and I find it even distracting. One digit after the comma would be more than sufficient.

As far as distances go, they are just distances. They don't change whether you measure them in miles, in kilometres, in any of the many medieval leagues of any of the countries that sent pilgrims to Santiago, or in Roman miles, or in millimetres. As such, a mojón with km49,995 is just as good as a mojón with km50 that is placed five metres further back on the way. Their location is more important than what's written on them because their main function is to tell the walkers where to go or to confirm that they are still on the right track. So it is more than sensible that the administration did not make a fuss and did not try to figure out locations that resulted in "nice" numbers.

Last edited:
I must say I was intrigued by the distances to three decimal places, and the odd placement that defies logic.
They are usually placed after a fork in the road so that you can see which side of the fork you need to take. So there is generally some logic as to their placement. As such, we don't need to have a distance on them, but I suppose it is a free 'extra'. Given a choice, do you want the distance on there or do you prefer it without the distance? who's going to say 'no'?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
They are usually placed after a fork in the road so that you can see which side of the fork you need to take.

Yes, I have found this placement quite frustrating when I have walked in reverse!!

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back