• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mold for top of tarta de Santiago

peregrina2000

Staff member
If I had access to a computer I would search for the thread, but I can't seem to search the forum well with my iPhone.

I'm looking for info on where to buy the mold for dusting the top of the Tarta de Santiago once I get to Santiago on Thursday. My fading memory remembers a post by tandreo and maybe dougfitz. If anyone can find that info for me, I would appreciate it a lot! Thanks and buen camino, Laurie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Close but it's not the thread with the addresses of the shops. I think tandreo found the mold and then listed the addresses. But thanks a lot, I know I'm being kind of demanding here!

Go into one of the bakeries and ask. If all else fails, buy stencil material and you can probably make one. Though it would be nice if yo can find it ready-made. Wish I had thought of that when I was there :-(

I had to make my own. It works, a bit delicate to pull it off but it works.

Burn camino

Sorry Laurie, can't find it. That thread does list a shop in Rua das Ofras. There is also a cooking shop on Southside of plaza de Galicia, rhs as you head towards the station. I bought a double tortilla pan there but there were plenty of other utensils - might be worth a punt.
Happy hunting :)

Last edited:
I didn't get there myself, but this is what I captured from the thread I think you are referring to: "Ferreteria -El Horreo
Horreo 22 - Praza Galicia
Near bus stop.
Downstairs on wall peg across from stairs "

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There was a sort of cookware/kitchenalia shop on Rua das Orfas which sold stainless steel crosses for the top. Are those what you are talking about? It was on the left hand side if you were walking north along it. If my fading memory serves me right, about 200m north of Praza de Galicia on the left.

I arrived in Santiago this morning from my second Camino Frances. On my "to do" list was locate and buy machine washable templates for the St. James Cross used on this iconic cake / tart.

After asking in many baking shops and souvenir shops, one lady told me to go to the Ferreteria on Praza Galicia. That is where the bus stop to go to the train station, bus station, and airport is located.

I located Ferreteria El Horreo on the side of Praza Galicia that faces the old town. The address is Horreos 22, which is on the corner.

Go downstairs to find all the kitchen gadgets. These are hanging on a wall peg directly across from the stairs with other, small baking-related gadgets. The templates come in a set of two. Both are stainless steel. One is about 8 inches long. The other is about 5 inches long. The set costs €5.95.

Of course, you need to be in Santiago to do this. Or, you could ask someone who is or will be here to pick a set up for you.

Bon appetit!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I am glad I was able to help. I brought home several sets of these molds for my wife, mother, and sisters when I returned home at the end of June. They are all thrilled.

The best part is that I get to sample the results. Plus, my brother-in-law wants to use it to stencil his motorcycle. So the mold apparently has alternate uses...go figure.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back