• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Molinaseca to Rabanal?

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2015
Does anyone have experience walking “backwards “ from Molinaseca towards Cruz de Ferro? In the rain? I had a rough go coming down the regular way several years ago. Worried about unsure/slippery footing and considering walking on the road.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Does anyone have experience walking “backwards “ from Molinaseca towards Cruz de Ferro? In the rain? I had a rough go coming down the regular way several years ago. Worried about unsure/slippery footing and considering walking on the road.
Rachel,
I have never walked up from Molinaseca towards Cruz de Ferro. However I have always walked down from the Cruz de Ferro to Molinaseca on the verges of the LE-142 road even in winter and never had a problem. Any season in clear weather especially on weekends the road can be busy with pelatons of bicyclists.

Last edited:
As you probably saw the road is curvy, narrow, quite a bit longer and sees its fair share of truck traffic. In the rain I would think twice about walking that way.
I'd also be especially careful on the road if you're wearing an ALTUS poncho (or any other poncho). I once was walking the road when a giant truck rolled by and the draft picked me up and tossed me down and the truck nearly ran over me. The ALTUS acted like a sail! Scared the poop out of me. I'm much more aware and cautious now when walking the road in an ALTUS!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, I saw some pilgrim(s) almost get wiped out after Zubiri in that short section of the Camino where we share the road with vehicles, it wasn't even raining it was some pilgrims not walking single file. If Spain allowed us to walk on the road there would be a designated lane, correct?
The worst white knuckle experience I ever had was on that short section of road walking on the CP before Pedra Furada. Guard rails on both sides of the road and large truck racing from point A to point B.

Yes, I saw some pilgrim(s) almost get wiped out after Zubiri in that short section of the Camino where we share the road with vehicles, it wasn't even raining it was some pilgrims not walking single file. If Spain allowed us to walk on the road there would be a designated lane, correct?
The worst white knuckle experience I ever had was on that short section of road walking on the CP before Pedra Furada. Guard rails on both sides of the road and large truck racing from point A to point B.
Don,
One of the worst white knuckle experiences I ever had was
crossing the old historic bridge at Puente Villarente on the CF. It was far too narrow for two lanes of traffic plus pedestrians.
In 2012 oncoming trucks ALMOST pushed 3 pilgrims off; the whole nerve wracking ordeal actually caused 2 grown men (and me) to weep.

Since 2013 a new pedestrian-only bridge is open. Pilgrims can now safely cross in ease.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
That road is fine if you're walking alone... just don't do it in a group like I've seen some damn fools doing, taking up half the road. Although there is no shoulder, and it's a couple of kilometres longer than the pile of rocks alternative, there is very little traffic on it so just keep your wits about you and get in out of the way when you hear/see traffic approaching.
If you were worried, you could always pick up a cheap hi-viz vest and throw it over your pack, you are legally required to have one on any 'highway' in Spain. I've had friendly waves from the Guardia Civil on that stretch..

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Our last Camino we also opted for the road having not particularly enjoyed the standard route previously.
For additional visibility I tied a brightly coloured buff to the end of a hiking pole which was held high when necessary to alert drivers of our presence.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
From Molinaseca you can walk up to Riego de Ambros by the "ruta de los puentes de Malpaso" (description in Wikiloc), lovely trail.
This trail that runs south of the LE-142 doesn't show completely on the IGN map I mentioned above but I looked this up on Wikiloc with a satellite background base map and you can clearly see the trail that the track follows.

On the profile shown below you would be traveling left to right for about 4 miles and 1,100 feet elevation (not counting the smaller hill). The other route to the north of the highway looks like it is the Camino. The distance would be about 2.5 miles.

The dot on the profile does NOT match the location of the trail as shown above the profile. I zoomed in on a section of the southerly route to show that the trail is visible.

Screenshot_20210912-144428.png

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have walked down from Foncebadon to Molinesca in the winter , twice, when the path was impassable. The road is longer, but you are able to keep a very steady pace. The path is steeper, narrower and rocky in certain sections. We prefer the road. That said, you must be conscious and alert for traffic, On weekdays, even in Oct there was not, however, substantial traffic…. a few buses ,trucks, and an occasional car or bike. Think differently… don’t expect others to stop easily for you on this downhill or uphill because the curves limit visibility, so giveway and allow them to pass. Though it is proper to walk against traffic (left side), you will need to occasional go with the traffic on certain curves because oncoming cars won’t be able to see you and there is literally no extra space at times. That said, I have done it four times and it is doable. I have seen a couple of pilgrims returning from SdC who were walking up the hill. It is a steep grade no matter which way you ascend from Molinesca. Key is to stay alert!

Last edited:
I'd also be especially careful on the road if you're wearing an ALTUS poncho (or any other poncho). I once was walking the road when a giant truck rolled by and the draft picked me up and tossed me down and the truck nearly ran over me. The ALTUS acted like a sail! Scared the poop out of me. I'm much more aware and cautious now when walking the road in an ALTUS!
Thanks for the warning. I’ve just invested in a new poncho and it’s massive; I hadn’t thought about the sail effect.

There are a few of those moments on the CP for sure!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I thought the road looked more concerning with vehicles and bikes 😱
But I agree the trail was problematic…although I think that sort of trail is always worse going down than up.
why are you walking backwards?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For those still wondering, I* walked from Acebo to Molinaseca this morning and met two people coming up... One man, one woman, on foot. I have seen local cyclists biking up the trail but very few walking. I asked if they were pilgrims, man didn't want to discuss but woman asked about the trail up ahead. This was not even 300 m up the path and she didn't seem pleased with my honest decription...
In other news, the trail and pilgrims are much like they have always been and I am loving it!
*not the original poster

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back