• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Monastario de Zenarruza is lovely, now has 21 beds

lucy2018

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte from Irun - Santander + Primativo from Oviedo (May/June 2018)
(from earlier this week)

A whole group of us were very anxious to stay at the monestary for the night and were concerned some of the later-arriving people in the line would be turned away, since the guidebooks seemed to think there were only 11 places for pilgrims. But no, they have expanded, and all were accommodated. The monk said this was the limit though - they would not have any room to expand any more in the future. So 21 beds it is! And what a lovely, special, quiet place to stay.IMG_20180531_171909.jpgIMG_20180531_175214.jpg

IMG_20180531_175716.jpgIMG_20180531_175407.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh, I loved the monastery! One of the highlights during camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
(from earlier this week)

A whole group of us were very anxious to stay at the monestary for the night and were concerned some of the later-arriving people in the line would be turned away, since the guidebooks seemed to think there were only 11 places for pilgrims. But no, they have expanded, and all were accommodated. The monk said this was the limit though - they would not have any room to expand any more in the future. So 21 beds it is! And what a lovely, special, quiet place to stay.View attachment 43347View attachment 43348

View attachment 43349View attachment 43350
Do you know if they take reservations?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think that the downside to staying at this monastery is that it is in an awkward location - 7.45 km past Markina. So if you walked from Deba to the monastery it would be a 31.28 km day, which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't already one of the toughest days on the Norte, with many ups and downs.

What you could do is walk from either Zarautz or Getaria to Ibiri Auzoa. (26.56 or 22.40 km) bypassing Deba, then the walk from Ibiri Auzoa to the monastery - 26.5 km.

There really is no town at Ibiri Auzoa, only one albergue.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think that the downside to staying at this monastery is that it is in an awkward location - 7.45 km past Markina. So if you walked from Deba to the monastery it would be a 31.28 km day, which wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't already one of the toughest days on the Norte, with many ups and downs.

What you could do is walk from either Zarautz or Getaria to Ibiri Auzoa. (26.56 or 22.40 km) bypassing Deba, then the walk from Ibiri Auzoa to the monastery - 26.5 km.

There really is no town at Ibiri Auzoa, only one albergue.

CAUTION HIKE PROFILE: I made reservations at izarbide aterpetxea [Ibiri Auzoa], as this is the last stop before the monastery and a very arduous uphil mountain. They even asked to make sure I was aware. I elected to stay here, rest, and start the big climb in the morning rather than at end of a long day. So look at hike profiles and decide for yourself!!!!

izarbideaterpetxea@gmail.com
whatsapp is best and faster: +34 655 45 97 69

CAUTION HIKE PROFILE: I made reservations at izarbide aterpetxea [Ibiri Auzoa], as this is the last stop before the monastery and a very arduous uphil mountain. They even asked to make sure I was aware. I elected to stay here, rest, and start the big climb in the morning rather than at end of a long day. So look at hike profiles and decide for yourself!!!!

izarbideaterpetxea@gmail.com
whatsapp is best and faster: +34 655 45 97 69
Isn't there a downhill towards Markina where you can stop before making the uphill towards the monastery ?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Sorry that wasn't clear.
They replied. NO reservations anywhere in monastery but they said traffic is light so hopefully no problem 😁
Corrections...there ARE reservations in the private albergue, they just informed me they are full tho on date of my arrival. No reservations for monastery tho...get in line😍

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back