• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Monasteries, Convents and Chapter Houses

mspath

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Perhaps you will find my list below of active Monasteries, Convents and Chapter Houses on the CF which host pilgrims to be useful for your planning.

Active Monasteries/Convents/Chapter houses Along the CF Which Host Pilgrims

listed by Etapa/Stage in geographic sequence from east to west along the camino
long/lat coordinates are given and sites are located on an interactive Google map

accommodation may be pilgrim albergue, hospederia, or on-site hotel
available Eroski and Gronze albergue citations as well as site specific webs are linked
mspath links my relevant 2004-2014 Camino Gazetteer posts/photos

Etapa/Stage 1--Roncevalles, long./lat. 43.009829, -1.319609
Real Colegiata de Roncesvalles,
three albergues; new, old and winter, in monastery structures
three hotels
Eroski >
Gronze >
monastery web>
albergue web >
lodging web >
////
mspath >

Etapa/Stage 3--Trinidad de Arre, long./lat. 42.836184, -1.604158
Santisma Trinidad de Arre
albergue in monastery garden
Eroski >
Gronze>
monastery web>
albergue web>
////
mspath>

Etapa/Stage 9--Santo Domingo de la Calzada, long./lat. 42.439793, -2.951042
Nuestra Senora de la Anunciacion
albergue in monastery
Eroski >
Gronze>
monastery web>
albergue web>

lodging web>
////
mspath>

Etapa/Section 12-- (off CF se of Burgos), Santo Domingo de Silos, long./lat. 41.961894, -3.419348
Monasterio Santo Domingo de Silos
monastery web>
hosperderia for men only hosperderia web >

Etapa/Stage 15--Carrion de los Condes, long./lat. 42.336832, -4.598489
Monasterio de Santa Clara,
albergue-hospederia in monastery
Eroski>
Gronze>

Espiritu Santo, long./lat. 42.336262, -4.602998
albergue in monastery
Eroski>
Gronze>
////
mspath>

Etapa/Stage 17--Sahagun, long./lat/ 42.369572, -5.035756
Monasterio de las Madres Benedictinas de Santa Cruz
Eroski >
Gronze>
monastery web>
////

Etapa/Stage 18--Leon, long./lat. 42.595183, -5.567970
Monasterio de las Benedictinas (Carbajalas), albergue in monastery
hospederia in monastery
Eroski >
Gronze>
monastery web>
////
mspath>

Etapa/Stage 21--Rabanal del Camino, long./lat. 42.482154, -6.284901
San Salvador de Monte Irago Monasterio
(spiritual retreats of 2 or more nights)
monastery web>
////
mspath>

Etapa/Stage 26--Samos, long./lat. 42.732478, -7.325386
Monasterio de Samos,
albergue in monastery
hospederia in monastery
Eroski >
Gronze>
monastery web>
////
mspath>

Etapa/Stage 26--Sarria, long./lat, 42.778979, -7.420942
Monasterio de la Magdalena,
albergue in monastery
Eroski >
Gronze>

Etapa/Stage 29--Sobrado dos Monxes, ( off CF north of Melide,) long./lat. 43.038674, -8.022554
Santa Maria do Sobrado Monasterio
albergue in ex stable
hospederia in monastery
monastery web>
////

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I bookmarked this for my April-May CF. Thanks so much!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am really happy to see that list as I would like to stay religious houses as far as possible. Many thanks!

I am really happy to see that list as I would like to stay religious houses as far as possible. Many thanks!

indeed, just in case you consider one day to return on Sanabres, be aware of Monastery of Santa María de Oseira (http://www.mosteirodeoseira.org). you can easily walk past it taking straight Cea - Dozón. hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks so much mspath very much for your list :) my wife and i would love to stay in these places and places that have budget single rooms where we can have our privacy. How much is the accommodation please and thanks again

Thanks so much mspath very much for your list :) my wife and i would love to stay in these places and places that have budget single rooms where we can have our privacy. How much is the accommodation please and thanks again
Prices vary. Check each web as listed above.
Happy planning to you both!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Prices vary. Check each web as listed above.
Happy planning to you both!
thanks mspath but my wife will be my support she cant walk or ride a e bike for the camino. I plan to e bike the frances camino and fisterre camino

Nice... we stayed in Monasterio de Santa Clara... it was cheap and a beautiful place to stay and it was cheap...

thanks mspath but my wife will be my support she cant walk or ride a e bike for the camino. I plan to e bike the frances camino and fisterre camino
If your wife does not walk or bike, she will certainly not be admitted to albergues. You need a credential, in which you will receive stamps in every albergue, in order to prove that you are a walking/biking pilgrim. Furthermore I suppose most monasteries do not have private rooms. Sleeping in an albergue or monastery means sleeping in bunkbeds in dormitories.
So I suppose you'd better look for pensions, they offer private bedrooms.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have stayed in a private room in the Hospederia de Santa Clara at Carrion de los Condes. This is private accommodation and not an albergue, so it is somewhat more expensive, but no credential is required. If you want inexpensive private monastic accommodation, I recommend that you reserve with any of the monastic hospederias. If there are mobility challenges, let the hospederia know in advance, so you can be sure that it is accessible for you. Buen camino.

f your wife does not walk or bike, she will certainly not be admitted to albergues

This is not true. Even the Church though it is strict on awarding compestelas to pilgrims for walking/biking will allow someone with disabilities to gain the compestela regardless of how they complete it. If you're doing an e-bike or have some kind of support vehicle you're not SUPPOSED to ask for pilgrim accomadations with your passport. Not all facilities may be wheel-chair accessible but contact the producers of the film "I'll Push You." for where they stayed. Even from the film, you can see they were never denied a place to lay their heads though all the places they stayed were not built to accommodate those handicapped.

The no-admittance to albergues is for the able-bodied using tour companies. You shouldn't rely on your company to reserve your spot in a future albergue when you have a van picking you up and dropping you off at points. It's taking a bed away from someone who walks. And as much as I might like it to be a rule, it's not. It's suggested. So before you sign with any tour agency, see if they respect the suggested guidelines set by the Church.

I have stayed in a private room in the Hospederia de Santa Clara at Carrion de los Condes. This is private accommodation and not an albergue, so it is somewhat more expensive, but no credential is required. If you want inexpensive private monastic accommodation, I recommend that you reserve with any of the monastic hospederias. If there are mobility challenges, let the hospederia know in advance, so you can be sure that it is accessible for you. Buen camino.
muchas gracias and many thanks :)
Do you have a website or know anyone who does about monastic hospederias's please
thanks mate :)

we were in alberta in September 2012 :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This is not true. Even the Church though it is strict on awarding compestelas to pilgrims for walking/biking will allow someone with disabilities to gain the compestela regardless of how they complete it. If you're doing an e-bike or have some kind of support vehicle you're not SUPPOSED to ask for pilgrim accomadations with your passport. Not all facilities may be wheel-chair accessible but contact the producers of the film "I'll Push You." for where they stayed. Even from the film, you can see they were never denied a place to lay their heads though all the places they stayed were not built to accommodate those handicapped.

The no-admittance to albergues is for the able-bodied using tour companies. You shouldn't rely on your company to reserve your spot in a future albergue when you have a van picking you up and dropping you off at points. It's taking a bed away from someone who walks. And as much as I might like it to be a rule, it's not. It's suggested. So before you sign with any tour agency, see if they respect the suggested guidelines set by the Church.
thanks mate much obliged Lizlane :) we my wife and I want to do this pilgrimage by our selves no tour company except for me to hire a mountain bike or even a e bike :) Buen Camino

ps i will check that film out :) thanks

muchas gracias and many thanks :)
Do you have a website or know anyone who does about monastic hospederias's please
thanks mate :)

we were in alberta in September 2012 :)

@pilgrimglenn7
You will find listings, websites and emails listed above on mspath's initial post for this thread. These listings are for religious communities which host albergues (pilgrim hostels) but do not all have hospederias. Some of the contact information listed above is out of date, so I shall try to sort it out for you. The monastic houses which, as best I can determine, host hospederias or comparable accommodation are listed here:

Stage 9: Santo Domingo de la Calzada
The information for the hospederia in the monastery on mspath's list above is out of date. Click on the link below to connect to the hospederia web address:
www.cister-lacalzada.com

Stage 15--Carrion de los Condes,
Monasterio de Santa Clara
Eroski>
Gronze>

click on Gronze for general information. Gronze offers two telephone numbers. I could not find any other method to contact them. I did not book ahead for a room in the hospederia, but this might be wise, as things are busier these days.
SabineP (above) has also posted a link for an albergue which resembles a hospederia in Carrion de los Condes:
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/casa-de-espiritualidad-nuestra-senora-de-belen This is an albergue run by a religious community, with private rooms only, so more like a hospederia, although it does not list itself as such. From the information available, it looks like they are not limiting admission to pilgrims with credentials. It might be best to ask.

Stage 17, Sahagun
Albergue de peregrinos de la Santa Cruz
Eroski >
Gronze>
monastery web>
This albergue is under new management by the Padres Maristas. Click on the Gronze entry to get current information. There are a number of private double rooms, but this is not formally a hospederia. You would have to inquire with them what are the conditions to stay there in a double room and if you both need credentials. They do say exclusively for pilgrims. I don't know if they might be flexible in view of your circumstances

Stage 18, Leon
Monasterio de las Benedictinas (Carbajalas)
hospederia in monastery
Eroski >
Gronze>
monastery web>
click on the monastery web, then on Hospederia Pax, for information on the hospederia.

There are also a fair number of inexpensive hostals in Leon. I usually stay in Hostal Don Suero, which is right on the camino, basic but comfortable. Their phone number is +34 987 230 600 and their website is http://www.hostaldonsuero.es/ They do not qualify if you want a hospederia run by a religious order, but might suit for price and be available when you need a place (just a personal addition).

Stage 26--Samos
Monasterio de Samos,
albergue in monastery
hospederia in monastery
Eroski >
Gronze>
monastery web>
The monastery web shows an internal hospederia as well as the albergue, in which I have stayed twice. The internal hospederia is said to be open to men on retreat, so would not suit you, as a pilgrim with a wife accompanying.
However,on the bottom of the page with other accommodation in Samos, Gronze lists a
Hospedería Externa Monasterio de Samos which seems to have the characteristics and prices of a monastic hospederia, except that it is not on the monastic property. You can book this hospederia through booking.com .

Stage 29--Sobrado dos Monxes, ( off CF north of Melide,) long./lat. 43.038674, -8.022554
albergue in ex stable
hospederia in monastery
monastery web>
Click on the monastery web to get to the hospederia.

Any other locations listed above by mspath do not include hospederias as far as I could determine. Those which I included here may not have all the characteristics of hospederias, so I have tried to indicate which are problematical but cannot guarantee that I am correct. Additional material or corrections would be appreciated. And buen camino to you and your wife.

Be aware that an albergue being in a monastery or owned by a parish does not necessarily imply that there is a kind of religious environment or that it is particularly conducive to a spiritual experience. Many ecclesiastical communities have resorted to establish albergues just because they need the money, and give the reception and management to a secular employee. I have been in some places where this employee is utterly indifferent; he explains the rules of the house, collects the money and then disappears. There are, obviously, some places where there is a kind hospitalero, a communal dinner, etc., and s/he invites pilgrims to attend Mass -it is up to you.
Having said that, I have some of my best experiences in religious albergues managed by members of the community, or the parish priest (as in Arudy). Situations vary.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@pilgrimglenn7
You will find listings, websites and emails listed above on mspath's initial post for this thread. These listings are for religious communities which host albergues (pilgrim hostels) but do not all have hospederias. Some of the contact information listed above is out of date, so I shall try to sort it out for you. The monastic houses which, as best I can determine, host hospederias or comparable accommodation are listed here:

Stage 9: Santo Domingo de la Calzada
The information for the hospederia in the monastery on mspath's list above is out of date. Click on the link below to connect to the hospederia web address:
www.cister-lacalzada.com

Stage 15--Carrion de los Condes,
Monasterio de Santa Clara
Eroski>
Gronze>

click on Gronze for general information. Gronze offers two telephone numbers. I could not find any other method to contact them. I did not book ahead for a room in the hospederia, but this might be wise, as things are busier these days.
SabineP (above) has also posted a link for an albergue which resembles a hospederia in Carrion de los Condes:
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/casa-de-espiritualidad-nuestra-senora-de-belen This is an albergue run by a religious community, with private rooms only, so more like a hospederia, although it does not list itself as such. From the information available, it looks like they are not limiting admission to pilgrims with credentials. It might be best to ask.

Stage 17, Sahagun
Albergue de peregrinos de la Santa Cruz
Eroski >
Gronze>
monastery web>
This albergue is under new management by the Padres Maristas. Click on the Gronze entry to get current information. There are a number of private double rooms, but this is not formally a hospederia. You would have to inquire with them what are the conditions to stay there in a double room and if you both need credentials. They do say exclusively for pilgrims. I don't know if they might be flexible in view of your circumstances

Stage 18, Leon
Monasterio de las Benedictinas (Carbajalas)
hospederia in monastery
Eroski >
Gronze>
monastery web>
click on the monastery web, then on Hospederia Pax, for information on the hospederia.

There are also a fair number of inexpensive hostals in Leon. I usually stay in Hostal Don Suero, which is right on the camino, basic but comfortable. Their phone number is +34 987 230 600 and their website is http://www.hostaldonsuero.es/ They do not qualify if you want a hospederia run by a religious order, but might suit for price and be available when you need a place (just a personal addition).

Stage 26--Samos
Monasterio de Samos,
albergue in monastery
hospederia in monastery
Eroski >
Gronze>
monastery web>
The monastery web shows an internal hospederia as well as the albergue, in which I have stayed twice. The internal hospederia is said to be open to men on retreat, so would not suit you, as a pilgrim with a wife accompanying.
However,on the bottom of the page with other accommodation in Samos, Gronze lists a
Hospedería Externa Monasterio de Samos which seems to have the characteristics and prices of a monastic hospederia, except that it is not on the monastic property. You can book this hospederia through booking.com .

Stage 29--Sobrado dos Monxes, ( off CF north of Melide,) long./lat. 43.038674, -8.022554
albergue in ex stable
hospederia in monastery
monastery web>
Click on the monastery web to get to the hospederia.

Any other locations listed above by mspath do not include hospederias as far as I could determine. Those which I included here may not have all the characteristics of hospederias, so I have tried to indicate which are problematical but cannot guarantee that I am correct. Additional material or corrections would be appreciated. And buen camino to you and your wife.
muchas gracias and many thanks :) greatly appreciative :) this information will be very helpful :)

Be aware that an albergue being in a monastery or owned by a parish does not necessarily imply that there is a kind of religious environment or that it is particularly conducive to a spiritual experience. Many ecclesiastical communities have resorted to establish albergues just because they need the money, and give the reception and management to a secular employee. I have been in some places where this employee is utterly indifferent; he explains the rules of the house, collects the money and then disappears. There are, obviously, some places where there is a kind hospitalero, a communal dinner, etc., and s/he invites pilgrims to attend Mass -it is up to you.
Having said that, I have some of my best experiences in religious albergues managed by members of the community, or the parish priest (as in Arudy). Situations vary.
thanks so much mate :) much aporeciate your comment :)p

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just my 2 cents as I have stayed in a few of these and my recommendations. Of Course we have all stayed Roncesvalles so no need to comment there. Do love the wake up call.
Just stayed in Espiritu Santo in Carrion. The nun who took us to our room was very nice and kind of funny. Rooms are named after continents if I remember correctly. Big room, no bunk beds. That was nice. There were about 14 beds in each room but everyone had space. People were already getting sick by this point in the Camino so there was alot of hacking and sneezing. Had my earplugs. Had a decent dinner around the corner from the Albergue.
In Sahagun I stayed at the Monastery about 6 years ago. It was clean and basic.More than fine for me. This time around in November it was closed. I got there about the third week in November.
In Leon stayed at that Monasterio. It is large. The first time I stayed there the men's side was packed and it was a warm night and the smell was not great to say the least. This was definitely not the fault of the Monasterio. Some people neglected to shower that night. Earplugs were a necessity. The place is clean and very pleasant with a nice and basic pilgrim donativo breakfast. It is in the heart of el Centro so there are plenty of shops and restaurants etc. nearby. It has been about 8 years since I stayed there. There were computer terminals to email home on the women's side. I have no idea if they still have those.
All in all you can't go wrong with any of the places I have laid my head.

Last edited:
San Juan d'Ortega, just before Burgos?

I've stayed at the first three and enjoyed them.
I loved Trinidad de Arre, but that was before the current folks ran it.
Santo Domingo was very COLD (Brrrr) but friendly.
I enjoyed the Benadictines in Leon.
I enjoyed Carrion.
I did NOT like San Juan d'Ortega - it felt dark, dirty, and I found bedbugs which put me off.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
May 2007 San Juan d'Ortega watched as bedbugs dive bombed my hiking companion during afternoon rest. The garlic soup was great though. And it was a pretty well worn, dark refuge. I think we ran out of hot water in the showers as well. But in those days (my second camino) my expectations were low and I was grateful for everything. The previous night in Belorado was a memorable pilgrim shared and cooked dinner. A NYC sous chef presiding.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.