• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Monasterio de Zamartze has pilgrim accommodations!

peregrina2000

Staff member
On another thread, @caminka said she had heard that the monastery now has a hospedaría and pilgrims are welcome. I sent a WhatsApp, and yes, it’s true! Such great news. WhatsApp them at 34 618 57 46 31. The message I got said that that advance notice is a good idea because they fill up. Lots of groups apparently.

This is a great development for people who want to walk the Viejo. Day 1 from Pamplona to Irurtzun or Hiriberri, and then Day 2 to the monastery. From there, you can walk up to San Miguel de Aralar and visit some impressive dolmens, a 10-12 km loop without a pack!!!

And it also is a great place from which to walk the next day on to Beriain, which @caminka has taught us all about!

See the monastery’s website here.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What Camino route is this on?
Camino Viejo from Pamplona to Aguilar de Campóo.

Just as an FYI, we have divided the routes in Spain subforum into 42 separate sub-forums and the Viejo is one of those. You can see all the embedding on the string along the top of this thread.

Camino Routes > Routes in Spain > Camino Viejo (Pamplona - Aguilar de Campóo)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On another thread, @caminka said she had heard that the monastery now has a hospedaría and pilgrims are welcome. I sent a WhatsApp, and yes, it’s true! Such great news. WhatsApp them at 34 618 57 46 31. The message I got said that that advance notice is a good idea because they fill up. Lots of groups apparently.

This is a great development for people who want to walk the Viejo. Day 1 from Pamplona to Irurtzun or Hiriberri, and then Day 2 to the monastery. From there, you can walk up to San Miguel de Aralar and visit some impressive dolmens, a 10-12 km loop without a pack!!!

And it also is a great place from which to walk the next day on to Beriain, which @caminka has taught us all about!

See the monastery’s website here.
Excellent news, Laurie!

Camino Viejo from Pamplona to Aguilar de Campóo.

Just as an FYI, we have divided the routes in Spain subforum into 42 separate sub-forums and the Viejo is one of those. You can see all the embedding on the string along the top of this thread.

Camino Routes > Routes in Spain > Camino Viejo (Pamplona - Aguilar de Campóo)
Thank you very much.

Excellent news, Laurie!
Yes, I think it makes everything so much more do-able in the early stages. What I’m hoping to do from there is up to Beriain from Uharte-Arakil, and then down to Arbizu for the night, back on the official route. It’s only 13 km, but I think the elevation gain makes that a prudent idea, at least for those who are up there in years like me.

Your posts are so invaluable for this route, Caminka!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, I think it makes everything so much more do-able in the early stages. What I’m hoping to do from there is up to Beriain from Uharte-Arakil, and then down to Arbizu for the night, back on the official route. It’s only 13 km, but I think the elevation gain makes that a prudent idea, at least for those who are up there in years like me.

Your posts are so invaluable for this route, Caminka!
And it is a historic and pilgrim-historic place, which is always a bonus.

I think your plan is very doable, just make sure you have plenty of water. I remember a water tap on top of Uharte where the yellow trail started, but do confirm that.
The climb itself is steep but the path was perfectly fine (although twelve years can certainly make a difference). Poles or staff can help a lot.

There is/was a camping with a small dorm in Arbizu, if I recall correctly?

If this is an option, have you perhaps considered staying in monasterio de Aralar? Waking up to that view must be quite something.

Thank you. It brings back so many beautiful memories!

If this is an option, have you perhaps considered staying in monasterio de Aralar? Waking up to that view must be quite something
My idea is to walk to Zamartze, drop my pack and take the loop up to San Miguel and back down to sleep in Zamartze. Given that from Hiriberri to Zamartze is pretty flat, I think the 800 m ascent to San Miguel would be do-able for me, provided that I do not wait too many years!

Does that seem reasonable to you?

My idea is to walk to Zamartze, drop my pack and take the loop up to San Miguel and back down to sleep in Zamartze. Given that from Hiriberri to Zamartze is pretty flat, I think the 800 m ascent to San Miguel would be do-able for me, provided that I do not wait too many years!

Does that seem reasonable to you?
I think it seems doable, bit I guess it also depends on the condition of the path(s). I cannot comment on this as I was going up and down in a car on a zigzaging road. The path is probably shorter and steeper. Probably along the lines of Beriain steep but more popular. (Perhaps poles or a staff are a good idea or maybe you can take the road down?)
It also depends whether you wish to seek out the surrounding dolmens, which are not along the main path up, if I recall correctly.
But yes, without the pack it definitely makes a difference!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had a long wait in a doctor’s office today and spent some time googling around to find out more about the many churches in the mountains around here. OMG, there is quite a legend associated with the church of San Miguel de Aralar! It involves the Basajuan, the Navarran mythological creature I learned about when walking the Camino Baztán. A knight returning from crusades is tricked by the Basajuan into thinking that his wife is having an affair with a servant. He returns home and kills the two people he finds in bed, only to learn they are his parents. He is then condemned to wander the mountains with chains on (and the chains are in the church!). San Miguel later appears to save him from the claws of the dragon because he has repented for having killed his parents. …. and on and on.

I wonder if all of the churches dotting these mountains have similar legends attached to them?!

I had a long wait in a doctor’s office today and spent some time googling around to find out more about the many churches in the mountains around here. OMG, there is quite a legend associated with the church of San Miguel de Aralar! It involves the Basajuan, the Navarran mythological creature I learned about when walking the Camino Baztán. A knight returning from crusades is tricked by the Basajuan into thinking that his wife is having an affair with a servant. He returns home and kills the two people he finds in bed, only to learn they are his parents. He is then condemned to wander the mountains with chains on (and the chains are in the church!). San Miguel later appears to save him from the claws of the dragon because he has repented for having killed his parents. …. and on and on.

I wonder if all of the churches dotting these mountains have similar legends attached to them?!
I wouldn't be surprised. It has been a sacred place well before christianity came.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back