• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Monastery in Armentiera closed to Pilgrims July- Sept

auburnfive

Veteran Member
I recently emailed the monastery in Armentiera to hopefully book rooms. They replied back promptly to advise that the monastery rooms will not be available for pilgrims in July, August or September in 2023 as it is being used for spiritual retreats. They send a list of alternate accommodations

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For anyone that may be disappointed - I stayed there last May. It was definitely beautiful and an incredible experience and I would do it again, BUT the real magic for me was the next portion of the hike. It was the most beautiful section of any Camino I've done. Luckily there is a municipal albergue just down the road from the monastery so you can still be near and get to experience the forest after.

I’m not sure how the spiritual retreats will affect this schedule/offering, but in 2022 even pilgrims not staying at the monastery (eg at the albergue) could receive a blessing and hear the nuns sing in the early evening. So that might still be possible this summer.

BUT the real magic for me was the next portion of the hike. It was the most beautiful section of any Camino I've done.
This is the stone and water route and I agree that it is a magical section of the trail. If you’re staying at the albergue, the start of this route is very close, and if you’re interested in photography and/or solitude, it can be very worthwhile to walk a little of the route the afternoon before to see it in a different light and to (likely) have it to yourself.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Although we were lucky enough to stay at the Monestario (we were there in April), it was a delight to attend pilgrim’s mass with the nuns. For those able to walk the VE, it’s a very special route including the climb up from Combarro, the walk along the stone and water path, overnight in Armenteira, and finally, the boat from Vilanova de Arouza to Padrón. Hopefully, others will enjoy this excursion off the CP as much as we did.

if you’re interested in photography and/or solitude, it can be very worthwhile to walk a little of the route the afternoon before to see it in a different light and to (likely) have it to yourself.

And I would suggest that anyone who is interested in this part of the Portugués take a look at the words and pictures of a very talented forum member. ;)

I wonder if it’s a regular thing for the monastery to close for retreats, or if perhaps it could have something to do with World Youth Day, which will bring anywhere from 500,000 to several million people to Portugal, along with the pope. Dates are listed as Aug 1- 6. I know the main event is in Lisbon, so it’s kind of a random thought.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In addition to the evening Mass, there is usually an early morning prayer service also open to the public.

Even if one is not staying at the monastery, all are welcome to join the Sisters for prayer.

At 7:00pm there is blessing of the pilgrims. At 9pm, Compline prayer, and the Eucharist each day at 7:30am, 11am on Sundays.

The monastery opens its doors at 6:30 a.m. and closes them at 9:15 p.m.

Here is a link for the full schedule of prayer times at the monastery (click on HORARIO if the schedule is not visible):

Buen Camino, Auburnfive!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Any advice about places to stay in Armenteira? I am doing my first Camino starting May 2, and I had planned on doing the Spiritual Variant. However, it seems like there are limited options for...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back