Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Monastery in Cornellana

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I stayed there several years ago, but I know @NadineK was there recently and enjoyed it. The albergue is located in the building of the monastery proper. There are several restaurants and bars in town. You can reserve via whatsapp at 34 635 48 59 32.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I stayed there several years ago, but I know @NadineK was there recently and enjoyed it. The albergue is located in the building of the monastery proper. There are several restaurants and bars in town. You can reserve via whatsapp at 34 635 48 59 32.
Yup, I was there late July 2021, and I loved it!! There's a kitchen there as well, and I cooked dinner with another pilgrim (with food we picked up at the small shop in town). But like @peregrina2000 said, there are bars and restaurants in the area as well.

It's a great and unique spot, plus I had the not-entirely-rare experience of a possible ghost encounter that night (but, that's another story for another time)...

Yup, I was there late July 2021, and I loved it!! There's a kitchen there as well, and I cooked dinner with another pilgrim (with food we picked up at the small shop in town). But like @peregrina2000 said, there are bars and restaurants in the area as well.

It's a great and unique spot, plus I had the not-entirely-rare experience of a possible ghost encounter that night (but, that's another story for another time)...
fine with ghosts for me!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I stayed there in 2018. On approach, it looked abandoned. The albergue part is all renovated and nice, clean. Warm, welcoming hospitaleros. As you approach it, you walk all the way around the back, right side, to and through a gated entrance. Buen Camino

It's a really interesting place to stay. You may get a tour of the church if you ask the hospitaleros. It's a fascinating monastery, gearing up for its 1000th anniversary in 2024. Definitely a good place to support! https://monasteriodecornellana.es/

And don’t forget the mystery question — What is the wild beast on the doorway doing to the child in its claws?

Sadly, I tend to agree with @NadineK‘s assesment.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Nadine, liked your video on the CP. I leave for Oviedo in 8 days. How long was that first day to get to Cornella and how well does the Hospitilero at the Monestary speak English. My Spanish is ok but on the phone could be a little choppy....I'd like to make a reservation

I stayed at this monestery several years ago and loved the newly renovated pilgrim section as it was very spacious. I thought it a fascinating place; the tasteful new renovation melded into part of the old "as is" ancient monestery.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You won’t regret staying in the monastery. A peaceful, clean, and spacious albergue. Very kind hospitalera whose name I don’t recall from my stay in 2020. As for restaurants, you’ll want to try Sidrería Restaurante Casa Ricardo, which serves home style Asturian food at very good prices. Many locals eat lunch here. Enjoy your trip!

Nadine, liked your video on the CP. I leave for Oviedo in 8 days. How long was that first day to get to Cornella and how well does the Hospitilero at the Monestary speak English. My Spanish is ok but on the phone could be a little choppy....I'd like to make a reservation
Hi El Lechero! The stage from Oviedo to Cornellana is LONG, especially for a first day. I think I clocked in at just under 40km... 37 or 38. I'd been doing a lot of hiking in the states before leaving for my Camino, so I wasn't too daunted by the big day, and yet, at the end of it, my legs were very tired and I had a small blister. Generally I'd recommend that pilgrims wanting to stay at the monastery in Cornellana to do two smaller first stages: you could spend a leisurely morning Oviedo and then walk 11.7km to Escamplero, and then Escamplero to Cornellana is about 24km. Something to consider if you have the time! (or, go for the long day. A few other pilgrims I'd met that night did as well!)

I reserved at the monastery using WhatsApp, the number is 34 635 48 59 32. (if you're not familiar with the app, it's basically a messaging app and you can just use google translate to write out your message in Spanish. It's a really nice alternative if you're hesitant about speaking Spanish over the phone!)

Hi El Lechero! The stage from Oviedo to Cornellana is LONG, especially for a first day. I think I clocked in at just under 40km... 37 or 38. I'd been doing a lot of hiking in the states before leaving for my Camino, so I wasn't too daunted by the big day, and yet, at the end of it, my legs were very tired and I had a small blister. Generally I'd recommend that pilgrims wanting to stay at the monastery in Cornellana to do two smaller first stages: you could spend a leisurely morning Oviedo and then walk 11.7km to Escamplero, and then Escamplero to Cornellana is about 24km. Something to consider if you have the time! (or, go for the long day. A few other pilgrims I'd met that night did as well!)

I reserved at the monastery using WhatsApp, the number is 34 635 48 59 32. (if you're not familiar with the app, it's basically a messaging app and you can just use google translate to write out your message in Spanish. It's a really nice alternative if you're hesitant about speaking Spanish over the phone!)
Oh yes, I am first staying at Paladine...no worries!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Here’s the ghost we saw there and then (regretfully) decided to walk on to Salas. We heard from the others who stayed that it was wonderful!

Attachments

• 81497DE2-4FB2-4D68-9818-649936B3C4C7.jpeg
    81497DE2-4FB2-4D68-9818-649936B3C4C7.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 31
Just "re-worked" my Primitivo trek and I'm intrigued by the monastary in Corellana. Has anyone stayed there recently? Is it actually AT the monastary, or in a separate building? And do you know if there's food in town...like a bar or restaurant?
We just stayed there last night and it was wonderful! It’s very clean and tranquil. Facing the monastery go to the right hand corner of the building and you will see a metal sliding gate with the albergue sign. Ring the bell and someone will let you in. There were 8 beds in each of the two open rooms… total of 5 people there last night. We loved it!

I stayed there in 2016 on the Primitivo and it was one of the special places we loved. The meal we had in town was lovely, as well.

Just spoken to a Spanish peRRegrino, the monastery is dog friendly too! And his dog was allowed inside. They stayed this July. (In some places in Spain, they allow dogs but they have to stay outside/in a shed/garage etc)…

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back