• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Monastery of San Anton Ruins Albgergue

Dennis Gemini Guru

Time of past OR future Camino
may 2016
My wife and I leave from Australia for our first camino in approx 19 days and just saw a you tube clip of Monastery of San Anton Ruins Albgergue.. looks awesome and never heard anyone talk about it ..Has anyone been lucky enough to stay there?? 12 beds

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, Robyn and I had a wonderful night there last year. We had not intended staying because I knew there was no electricity and not much water. We dropped in to have a look, and were greeted by the happy Christine, an Australian hospitalero, and our own @sillydoll from South Africa, as well as a lovely local. How could we not stay?

As it turned out it was one of our best nights. The lack of electricity only added to the ambiance, and we really enjoyed our shared candlelight dinner, the new bunks are very comfortable; no-one snored, no-one got up early, a great night's sleep. Then in the morning we walked across the fields in the early light, to attend mass at the convent. Wonderful.

Because of its lack of electricity and water limitations, it's not for everyone. But for those so inclined, it's a magical place. Our night at San Anton was our favorite night on the Camino Francés. The people who do stop there for the night usually turn out to be some of your favorite Camino friends.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
There's no hot water there, (there's very little water at all). No electricity. And no WIFI! Aaaaauuuugh! Brutal!
No WiFi? Brutal yes. But when you get to Castrojerez there are free WiFi zones all over town you can treat yourself to!

There's no hot water there, (there's very little water at all). No electricity. And no WIFI! Aaaaauuuugh! Brutal!
Love you Reb, especially the long "Aaaaaauuuugh!" Your post is along the lines of current thread "dreadful walk, awful people" warning anyone about going on that horrible Camino. Let's keep it a secret and stop the crowds from invading our experience.
Guru, I will be your host between 14 and 24 June along with Renshaw. We have some of the nicest 12 mattresses on the Camino in a very basic refugio. Granted there is no electricity, no wifi and one very cold, slow shower but we will prepare for you a fine Camino evening meal and breakfast on our gas stove along with some fine local wine. The skies at night are magic and the monastery and church are memorable.

Love you Reb, especially the long "Aaaaaauuuugh!" Your post is along the lines of current thread "dreadful walk, awful people" warning anyone about going on that horrible Camino. Let's keep it a secret and stop the crowds from invading our experience.
Guru, I will be your host between 14 and 24 June along with Renshaw. We have some of the nicest 12 mattresses on the Camino in a very basic refugio. Granted there is no electricity, no wifi and one very cold, slow shower but we will prepare for you a fine Camino evening meal and breakfast on our gas stove along with some fine local wine. The skies at night are magic and the monastery and church are memorable.
WHAAAAAT???? You and Renshaw together as hospitaleros??? OMG, I shouldn't miss that, although I think I'll be a bit too fast for you guys. That's a pity, arghhhh ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
What town is this in??

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It is just east of Castrojeriz.
Thanks, found it. One guidebook says it's open summer only, but another says open in September so hopefully I'll be able to check it out. Buen Camino

we start walking on may 25th ..is it only open between 14th and 24th june???

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
We stopped by, on my first camino, although not for the night. Arriving in Castrojeriz, we heard someone behind us running and shouting my fellow pilgrim's name...
Turned out she had left her credencial on the table in San Anton and the lovely hospitalera had run after us all the way to return it.
I am still moved thinking about it.

Pilgrims peer through the big metal gates into the enclosure where the small albergue has been grafted into the lee of the monastery walls.
SCENARIO ONE:
"Can we look around?"
"Please do - you're welcome to have a rest here."
"Can we actually stay here?"
"Yes, of course, we have 4 beds left".
"Wow! Have you got WiFi?"
"No, no WiFi."
"Oh. Can I charge my iPad?"
"No electricity here. Just candles."
"No electricity! What about hot water for the shower?"
"No hot water either?"
"Mmmm? How far did you say Castrojeriz is from here?"

SCENARIO TWO:
Pilgrims run through the door, up the bank to the albergue door - panting.
"PLEASE tell us you've got beds for us? We read/heard about this albergue and we've run all the way from Hontanas to make sure that we can stay here."

(Once I had to turn two desperate pilgrims away as we were completo. It was the worst Camino day for me, ever.)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi @sillydoll we had such a great time with you last year I became a convert to the simple albergues. This year I'm going to try and bounce my way from San Bol to San Anton to San Nicholas - and then line up for a good shower/hair wash at Boadilla!

Just for the record: Albergue Monasterio de San Anton de Castrojeriz is open from May through September... and maybe through October this year, if hospitaleros can be found to staff the place. It now has a woodstove, so nights in the dormitory are not quite so chilly (hospis are not so lucky!).

A communal dinner is served, as well as a simple breakfast. As always, pilgrims leave a donation to cover the cost of their stay. There is no set fee.

Just for the record: Albergue Monasterio de San Anton de Castrojeriz is open from May through September... and maybe through October this year, if hospitaleros can be found to staff the place. It now has a woodstove, so nights in the dormitory are not quite so chilly (hospis are not so lucky!).

A communal dinner is served, as well as a simple breakfast. As always, pilgrims leave a donation to cover the cost of their stay. There is no set fee.
Rebekah:
I shall look in when I pass through in October, as I should love to stay there if it is open. I was most disappointed when I passed there last fall, although I had an idea that San Anton was a summer only albergue. An enterprising gentleman had parked his vehicle out front to sell souvenirs and offer a sello for a donation, so I have a sello which reads "Hospital de Peregrinos San Anton" but I should love to get the real thing.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back