Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

Monastery Stays

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

Elle Bieling

Elle Bieling, PilgrimageTraveler
Past OR future Camino
Too many to count!
Some months ago, I was contacted through my website, by Kevin, to disseminate information on a new service marketing monastery accommodation! Please go directly to http://www.monasteries.com/ to search for accommodation in one! This, of course includes stays in monasteries, not on the Camino, but maybe someone wants to do a cross-reference to find which ones that are, that are not on any lists thus far? I think it is wonderful to support this service, and help keep monasteries alive.

A Quest of St. James, Tommy Ray, Book Cover, Image
Come follow the vivid imagery of this life-changing adventure.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19
The Bendictines in Sahagun, the Monastery in Sarrance, France on the GR 653 (Voie d'Arles) on the way between Oloron-Ste. Marie and Somport and the Monastery Leyre on the Aragones are three I have stayed in. There is one near the Portuguese Route on the way to Padron, but I have never visited there.

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
If all else fails, do remember Saint Jullian the Poor (the Hospitaler), a complicated story but he is the patron saint of all pilgrims - a good start - but also the one to turn to for lodging while traveling 1624613742447.png

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances (2015); Aragones-Frances (2016); VdlP-Sanabres (2017); Madrid-Frances-Invierno (2019)Levante
I have stayed in the hospederia of the Poor Clares, at Carrion de los Condes. They have two types of accommodation, besides the monastery itself: an albergue and the hospederia, with single rooms, where I stayed for a rest from albergues. But I understand that their albergue is very nice. There are a couple of other religious orders of women who offer accommodation to pilgrims in Carrion. I have also stayed in the albergue run by the Benedictine nuns in Leon: a very basic albergue, but pilgrims are welcome to join the sisters for worship in the chapel. I think they may have a hospederia as well. At least, I ate in a restaurant on their property which was upscale in food and prices from what might be expected in an albergue. I have also stayed in the albergue run by the Benedictine monks at Samos, and in an albergue run by monks at Oseira, on the Camino Sanabres. I also stayed at in the monastery at Sarrance, on the Voie d'Arles. And a few other current or former monastic houses along the Ways.

mspath

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Like Albertagirl in the post albove I, too, have stayed in many monasteries during my past 10 caminos but generally on the Camino Frances.
Each distinct visit is referenced in the list mentioned above in post number 3.

However January 24, 2009, at Roncesvalles monastery on the Camino Frances was a very special stop which now in these chaotic times provides the solace of memory

Last edited:
When you walk the Camino, and suddenly a pandemic appears
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated