• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Monastery Stays

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Some months ago, I was contacted through my website, by Kevin, to disseminate information on a new service marketing monastery accommodation! Please go directly to http://www.monasteries.com/ to search for accommodation in one! This, of course includes stays in monasteries, not on the Camino, but maybe someone wants to do a cross-reference to find which ones that are, that are not on any lists thus far? I think it is wonderful to support this service, and help keep monasteries alive.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Bendictines in Sahagun, the Monastery in Sarrance, France on the GR 653 (Voie d'Arles) on the way between Oloron-Ste. Marie and Somport and the Monastery Leyre on the Aragones are three I have stayed in. There is one near the Portuguese Route on the way to Padron, but I have never visited there.

If all else fails, do remember Saint Jullian the Poor (the Hospitaler), a complicated story but he is the patron saint of all pilgrims - a good start - but also the one to turn to for lodging while traveling1624613742447.png

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I have stayed in the hospederia of the Poor Clares, at Carrion de los Condes. They have two types of accommodation, besides the monastery itself: an albergue and the hospederia, with single rooms, where I stayed for a rest from albergues. But I understand that their albergue is very nice. There are a couple of other religious orders of women who offer accommodation to pilgrims in Carrion. I have also stayed in the albergue run by the Benedictine nuns in Leon: a very basic albergue, but pilgrims are welcome to join the sisters for worship in the chapel. I think they may have a hospederia as well. At least, I ate in a restaurant on their property which was upscale in food and prices from what might be expected in an albergue. I have also stayed in the albergue run by the Benedictine monks at Samos, and in an albergue run by monks at Oseira, on the Camino Sanabres. I also stayed at in the monastery at Sarrance, on the Voie d'Arles. And a few other current or former monastic houses along the Ways.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Like Albertagirl in the post albove I, too, have stayed in many monasteries during my past 10 caminos but generally on the Camino Frances.
Each distinct visit is referenced in the list mentioned above in post number 3.

However January 24, 2009, at Roncesvalles monastery on the Camino Frances was a very special stop which now in these chaotic times provides the solace of memory

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back