• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Monbus station location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sho

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés, 2019, 2022, 2023; Inglés 2024
Hey, so this should be easy, yet I'm having trouble with the Monbus site and I'm in a pension in Santiago, so no helpful staff are around. None of my maps are highly adequate. Can you help me confirm that

●Monbus has service to Finisterre.
● The first bus to Finisterre tomorrow, Sunday, leaves Santiago at 9:00 am.
●I do not need to transfer, and it's a few hours to get there.
●The Monbus station, where I catch this bus, is at Praza de Camino Diaz Bali~no.
●I can catch the #5 local bus to this bus station, or walk to it in about half an hour.
●I can buy a ticket at the station, if open, or on the bus, with return the next day, and don't need to specify at what time.
●The drop off/pick up point in Finisterre is by the immigrants statue.
●How do I ask for a round-trip ticket in Spanish?
●Anything else I should know?

Thank you!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Sho, I haven't done this trip myself, but according to the Monbus site:
- Yes, there are buses to Finisterre (but you need to write "Fisterra", the Galician spelling, into the Monbus search box - maybe this is the source of your troubles?)
- Yes, first bus is 9am
- Correct, no transfer. The journey takes 2h10
- Yes the bus leaves from the Estación de Autobuses in SdC
-No idea about the #5; the bus station is about 1.5km from the cathedral.
- You should be able to buy a return ticket at the bus station in SdC. Not entirely sure though. It seems there's no ticket office in Finisterre, however, so not sure of their policy on open returns. In any case they can give you this information tomorrow.
-The drop off in Finisterre is the Estación de Autobuses.
-A round trip is "ida y vuelta" (you can ask for "un bilete de ida y vuelta, por favor")

There are quite a few buses each day between Santiago and Fisterra. Be aware that there are buses that wind around, stopping at all the little towns that take up to three hours to arrive, and a couple of times per day there are also Express buses that take less than an hour and a half.
This is the bus schedule I got last year, but I think that it's pretty much the same thus year. You see several times with * after them. Those are the Express buses. If you go to the Monbus site you can download the PDF of the schedule and see which times are the Express buses with the least number of stops.
Screenshot_20190810-083926_WhatsApp.jpg

Attachments

• Schedules Santiago de Compostela - Fisterra(2)(1).pdf
    39.2 KB · Views: 24
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Especially at this time of year, to be safe, I would advise you to purchase a return ticket at the bus station in Santiago. Depending on the time you want to return from Finisterre, the line up at the bus can be long. When I returned, I planned to buy a ticket on the bus (the ticket office in Finisterre wasn’t open) but priority boarding was given to those who already had tickets. Almost all the seats were quickly filled with ticket holders. We got 2 of the last 6 seats available and at least another 30 people couldn’t get on.
This was in 2015 and maybe the system has changed but since then I always make sure I have tickets in advance.

Thanks, all. The #5 at Praza de Galicia wasn't until 8, so I walked to the station.

Especially at this time of year, to be safe, I would advise you to purchase a return ticket at the bus station in Santiago. Depending on the time you want to return from Finisterre, the line up at the bus can be long. When I returned, I planned to buy a ticket on the bus (the ticket office in Finisterre wasn’t open) but priority boarding was given to those who already had tickets. Almost all the seats were quickly filled with ticket holders. We got 2 of the last 6 seats available and at least another 30 people couldn’t get on.
This was in 2015 and maybe the system has changed but since then I always make sure I have tickets in advance.
FYI, they no longer sell the return tickets in Santiago but there is a new booth right at the bus station in Fisterra where bus tickets are sold. I am sorry for your experience but the express bus I took was a double decker which was not crowded. They now have two buses leaving at 0945 one express and another that stops along the route. So my advice get there a little early to get your favorite seat but no worries about getting a seat

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
FYI, they no longer sell the return tickets in Santiago but there is a new booth right at the bus station in Fisterra where bus tickets are sold. I am sorry for your experience but the express bus I took was a double decker which was not crowded. They now have two buses leaving at 0945 one express and another that stops along the route. So my advice get there a little early to get your favorite seat but no worries about getting a seat
When I was there in June I had planned on the 9:45 Express bus, but when I went to buy my ticket the agent told me that they had added a 9:00 am bus that had even fewer stops than the 9:45. I think that it was a seasonal addition.

You can buy the return ticket in Santiago, but you must then get a replacement, with a time, at the Finisterre kiosk.

Thank you all for your help!

Good to know!! Thank you for the info update!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Remember the bus station in sdc has an upstairs and a downstairs. The bus leaves from downstairs.... I found that one out the hard way

Hey, so this should be easy, yet I'm having trouble with the Monbus site and I'm in a pension in Santiago, so no helpful staff are around. None of my maps are highly adequate. Can you help me confirm that

●Monbus has service to Finisterre.
● The first bus to Finisterre tomorrow, Sunday, leaves Santiago at 9:00 am.
●I do not need to transfer, and it's a few hours to get there.
●The Monbus station, where I catch this bus, is at Praza de Camino Diaz Bali~no.
●I can catch the #5 local bus to this bus station, or walk to it in about half an hour.
●I can buy a ticket at the station, if open, or on the bus, with return the next day, and don't need to specify at what time.
●The drop off/pick up point in Finisterre is by the immigrants statue.
●How do I ask for a round-trip ticket in Spanish?
●Anything else I should know?

Thank you!
I would buy the ticket in advance or at the station- I’ve seen the driver turn away people without tickets

I would buy the ticket in advance or at the station- I’ve seen the driver turn away people without tickets
I'm not sure if you meant to post on this 2019 thread, or on the new thread with a similar title. I'll close this thread, since things have changed since 2019. Please go to there newer thread with any advice.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

yesterday a very dear friend passed away, a wonderful lady I have known since I started working in the Middle East 15 years ago (she was Muslim- only writing that as it was strange to others she...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back