• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mondays in Spain

Texas Walker

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte (2017-18)
Portugues (2015)
Frances (2014)
Hello, all. I am looking at walking the Via de la Plata next year and considering how the days fall if I leave during Easter week (the week after, not Semana Santa). I am concerned about facilities on Mondays, which are often days with many closed-up places. (Museums, Church visiting, and even in Larrabetzu on the Norte last year all the restaurants and bars in town closed from siesta time until Tuesday.)

It looks like I might be passing through the long stage from Carcaboso on a Monday. Does anyone know if Arco de Caparra has toilets that are accessible even if the visitor center (I am guessing there is a visitor center!) is closed? The map at Gronze has long, long stretches of nothing at all along there. It doesn't even look like there are gas stations.

I'd also welcome other thoughts especially about this area or Monday walking in general.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Texas Walker

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello, all. I am looking at walking the Via de la Plata next year and considering how the days fall if I leave during Easter week (the week after, not Semana Santa). I am concerned about facilities on Mondays, which are often days with many closed-up places. (Museums, Church visiting, and even in Larrabetzu on the Norte last year all the restaurants and bars in town closed from siesta time until Tuesday.)

It looks like I might be passing through the long stage from Carcaboso on a Monday. Does anyone know if Arco de Caparra has toilets that are accessible even if the visitor center (I am guessing there is a visitor center!) is closed? The map at Gronze has long, long stretches of nothing at all along there. It doesn't even look like there are gas stations.

I'd also welcome other thoughts especially about this area or Monday walking in general.

Texas Walker

Hiya. I walked the VDLP just after Easter. I did not realise this is the busiest time on the Plata, I had a few instances of full albergues in the first week or two (luckily I was equipped for and like sleeping outside).

Cannot remember any problems with Mondays, to be honest I never knew what day it was!

At Caparra the toilets are in the visitors centre, if it is closed then the toilets are locked (I know because I freecamped there one night - security knew I was there). I think the visitors centre is open unless you pass there very early or late. Why not check online the opening times?

Hope that helps
Davey

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It can be Tuesdays, too - twice I was surprised by that this year. But this kind of thing is unavoidable if you are walking less travelled caminos.

‘Long, long stretches of nothing’ and ‘absence of toilets’ also pretty much defines the VDLP. I was walking it the week after Easter and didn't have a lot of problems (beyond the normal Spanish Monday closings). The VDLP would be one walk that I would recommend planning and booking ahead. If you do get caught in a busy time, the next town is most likely not walkable (like the Frances). It's beautiful but very lonely in many legs.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hiya. I walked the VDLP just after Easter. I did not realise this is the busiest time on the Plata, I had a few instances of full albergues in the first week or two (luckily I was equipped for and like sleeping outside).

Cannot remember any problems with Mondays, to be honest I never knew what day it was!

At Caparra the toilets are in the visitors centre, if it is closed then the toilets are locked (I know because I freecamped there one night - security knew I was there). I think the visitors centre is open unless you pass there very early or late. Why not check online the opening times?

Hope that helps
Davey
Living in Mexico, and also traveling through many Latin American countries the busiest time of the year for anything touristic is during the week before and the week of Easter, Semana Santa. Many people all get some of this time period off work and kids are off school, so families take vacations and people walk Caminos too.

Texas Walker
The unemployment rate in Spain is high, so Spaniards look for cheap accomodations while they travel during the Easter holidays. They get Official Pilgrim Credencial (Pilgrims Passport) then park their cars a couple of kilometers from the albergues and get 6 euro per night accomodations or 12 euros per night in gites. I walked the Compostelle GR65 and the Norte plus Primitivo during the easter holidays plus what most people do, extend their holiday week end into a week long holiday. Don't do that unless you are prepared to sleep outdoors like I had to or to stay at hotels if you can find one in small towns or villages depending where you are at the end of your day. Make sure you carry enough food for at least 4 meals because just about everything is closed during any holiday and or from Saturday afternoon till Monday mid day. Again, you can only buy supplies when the opportunity presents itself given you don't always arrive at a village or town at the right time of day or during their closed hours.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back