• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mondoñedo in Lugo crowned one of Spain's Most Beautiful Villages

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For those of us who will be going through Lugo...
http://www.theolivepress.es/spain-n...l-villages-and-four-of-them-are-in-andalucia/

I will be there on Good Friday. If anyone knows a website that says what that day will be like, please let me know. I've been googling. I assume there will be processions and am looking forward to an amazing afternoon!

The article is about the beautiful village of Mondoñedo which is in the province of Lugo. But Lugo is also a beautiful city!! Hope you have a chance to walk the wall surrounding the old city!

Thank you for posting this. Always happy to read about new beautiful places to visit in the future.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Thank you for pointing that out, Theatergal! I didn't realize Lugo is also a province, which makes sense since the article is about Mondoñedo. Walking the wall sounds great. Thanks for mentioning that!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Mondoñedo is wonderful! But it is not on the Camino Frances, it is on the Camino del Norte. So I am moving the thread to the general announcements section. Mondoñedo is one of the reasons we were pleased we had not detoured from the Norte to the Primitivo.

I will be visiting the town of Lugo in April. As part of my Camino. Walking the wall – do you have any idea if that something I can do on a one-day visit? My husband’s family name is Lugo which is the reason for my visit

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Mondoñedo is wonderful! But it is not on the Camino Frances, it is on the Camino del Norte. So I am moving the thread to the general announcements section. Mondoñedo is one of the reasons we were pleased we had not detoured from the Norte to the Primitivo.

It sounds like a lot of people do that detour. Since we're doing the Primitivo as a stand-alone walk this year, it's great to know that there are places to look forward to on the final section of the Norte whenever we get around to doing that!

Thank you for posting this article. My husband and I plan on moving to Southern Spain, and 4 of the villages were in Andalusia.

Visited Lugo last November, on camino Primitivo. Stayed there two nights. The Catedral of Lugo is one of the most beautful in Spain (IMO). And there are many masses daily. Unforgettable to attend. A must, when visiting Lugo. A lot else to see, of course.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Mondoñedo is really a pretty town with a few things to see. But it is hurting. I heard a lot about population loss, lack of employment opportunities for the young, etc. In this respect, it's just like a lot of Galicia.

And anyone walking from Mondoñedo, remember that there is a logging road (now the official camino I believe) that avoids the asphalt. Otherwise, Mondoñedo to Abadín is another one of those total asphalt slogs that the Norte is so famous for. (but it is very pretty and on a road with virtually no traffic, since it goes through a variety of basically abandoned villages).

Hoping this old route is easy to find or still waymarked for later this year when we are there. We want to walk the Ruta de las Aguas - circular route starting in Mondoñedo - as well as part of the Norte and and visit Miraz via the old route with the car. Do-able there and back in a day that way while staying in Mondoñedo itself.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hoping this old route is easy to find or still waymarked for later this year when we are there. We want to walk the Ruta de las Aguas - circular route starting in Mondoñedo - as well as part of the Norte and and visit Miraz via the old route with the car. Do-able there and back in a day that way while staying in Mondoñedo itself.

Tia, here are a few wikilocs tracks. The first one seems to be the only truly circular route, the rest have some out and back parts. Even if you are not a GPS user, the maps you can see on the links may be helpful. There are also some comments and pictures. Apparently there is also a cave that can be visited with a prior appointment.

https://es.wikiloc.com/rutas-senderismo/ruta-del-agua-mondonedo-14267419
https://es.wikiloc.com/rutas-senderismo/ruta-del-agua-mondonedo-11335107
https://es.wikiloc.com/rutas-senderismo/ruta-del-agua-mondonedo-lugo-2750630
https://es.wikiloc.com/rutas-senderismo/ruta-del-agua-mondonedo-14267419

And if by "the old route" you mean the camino on the side of the country road instead of the newer logging road option, don't worry. I tried very hard to find the off-road alternative but the arrows kept bringing me back to the one Kanga pictures. I don't think you will have any problems, it is still well marked. Buen camino, Laurie

Tia, here are a few wikilocs tracks. .................
And if by "the old route" you mean the camino on the side of the country road instead of the newer logging road option, don't worry. I tried very hard to find the off-road alternative but the arrows kept bringing me back to the one Kanga pictures. I don't think you will have any problems, it is still well marked. Buen camino, Laurie

Brilliant, thank you @peregrina2000 . We already had one of these, the one like a figure of 8 but will map out the circular one.
We will also map out the route in @Kanga's pictures.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.