• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Money Belts (Which one?)

TravellingSonn

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008, Le Puy route (TBC)
Hi All,

I'm trying to decide which money belt to buy (neck pouch, holster style or waist money).

In your experience which one did you find worked for you?

Buen Camino

Love and smiles
Sonia
:D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I used a fanny pack to keep passport, credencial, glasses, sunglasses, and a few odds& ends. On the belt part, I also put my camera pack so it was always easily accessible. My money was kept in a tiny wallet with a snap change purse that I kept in the fanny pack Ialways in the front!) or in my pocket. I bought that in Spain some years ago. When I travel to Spain (or anywhere in Europe - e.g. Paris last weekend) I never take a purse. A camera bag only and if doesn't fit in the camera bag, it doesn't go with me.

One item that I didnt' have and wished I had.... a plastic zip lock bag for my credencial. It protects against moisture (rain and sweat) and keeps the credencial nice. You might want to take a larger one for books and papers. I collected prayer, song and information sheets along the way.... hated it if/when they got damp.
Just another suggestion....
Buen Camino,

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Geoff and Deirdrè,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my query. A friend gave me a pac safe secure hip pack (fanny bag) and I was thinking of taking a money belt as well, I'll only take my pac safe which I think will be more than enough to carry and keep all my valuables safe.

Thanks again
Love and smiles
Sonia
:D

TravellingSonn said:
I'm trying to decide which money belt to buy (neck pouch, holster style or waist money).

I started out wearing a Pacsafe neck pouch and a Pacsafe waist belt. The neck pouch felt and looked like I was wearing a bulletproof vest. At Arre I discovered that my sweat had seeped through the neck pouch and soaked my passport and international driver's license. I had to dry them on a line strung across my bunk.

As for the money belt, it also got sweaty, but not as bad (the included waterproof plastic pouch saved my credit cards from harm, but my money was damp). Also, it bunched up while I walked, especially on hills.

After that, I stopped wearing both items while hiking. Instead, I carried both of them inside a small daypack that i kept in my main pack while hiking, and then took it out for use when at the albergues - and I never let it leave my person or get out of my sight (I even took it in the shower). I used small travel padlocks to secure the zippers, and at night I used a Pacsafe cable lock to secure the daypack to the bed next to my head.

Once I left the Camino and became a tourist, I began wearing the money belt again. But I'll skip the neck pouch from now on... :arrow:

Usually when I travel I wear a light money belt around the waist, under the clothes so can't be seen. I tested this with a backpack a couple of years ago and found it very annoying as the waiststrap on the backpack rubbed against the moneybelt and it chafed a bit. Whatever you get, try it out while walking with a full backpack and see if it's suitable. It doesn't have to be expensive, just comfortable.

Now I use a small bumbag (hip pack/fanny bag) for credencial, phone, camera, small amount of cash and one debit card, meusli bars, tissues etc. My hiking trousers have a zippered pocket where I kept my passport, 2nd debit card and credit card, in a ziplock plastic bag. At night I put this in my bumbag and kept it at the bottom of my sleeping bag.

The bumbag was never out of my sight, whereever I was it was with me, even going to the loo at night. I've heard Pacsafe is a really good brand as neither the straps nor the fabric can be cut. So definately take that with you.

Trudy

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
"Bumbag" - now there is a great word! I love it! "Fanny pack" is so..... pfffff... pishposh....but bumbag! Thank you, Trudy, for increasing my vocabulary, by one! :lol:

I'm going to try to use a PacSafe Money belt. Very durable, does'nt look like it can be cut easily and the snap buckle is hidden so it can't be undone without pulling it out first. I'll probably not use it whilst walking though.

Right. So keeping valuables in a bumbag which can double as a handbag in the evening sounds like a grand idea. :idea: Plus I like the fact that whatever weight there is will once again be on the hips, not the shoulders. My question is; leather or man made? Leather is strong and durable, but nylon/polyester dries quicker ... any suggestions or pointers here? Being female I am tempted to buy one of each!

Cheers,
LM

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks, that does make sense. I will do! And I'll try to get one that's not too big, for as we know - if there's room, it will be filled with stuff. Maybe get one with water bottle holders? Someone also mentioned zip lock bags to keep paperwork dry inside the bumbag, I'll get some of them, and then I think I've got everything!

Cheers,
LM

nidarosa said:
Someone also mentioned zip lock bags to keep paperwork dry inside the bumbag, I'll get some of them, and then I think I've got everything! LM
Zip lock bags wear out though in my experience(usually at the bottom end)... and are not necessarily completely waterproof anyhow. If it is really raining hard I prefer to have my important paper well buried in my main pack inside a couple of layers of plastic.
Margaret

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.