• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Money- Burgos to Santiago

MarnieT

Hi there,
I'm happily starting to plan my trip along the Camino. However, finances are very tight and I'm wondering what I could survive on from Burgos- Santiago.
I can eat cheap anywhere, not too concerned with that..but am worried about how much I'll need for hostels (I'll be staying in the cheapest ones I can find) I'm not a high budget traveller..it's the journey that matters :)
Also, if anyone can help me with info on how to join in Burgos.. I'd appreciate it. I've read everyone's guide suggestions and will definitely buy those.
I'm assuming I can do Burgos- Santiago in 21-24 days?
Thanks and sorry if any of this is repetitive..it's my first day on the forum :)
M

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello MarnieT,
Firstly, you don't have to join anything to walk the camino. You will, however, need a credential (pilgrim passport) to stay in the pilgrim shelters. You can get one at the first albergue (shelter) in Burgos, or at the Cathedral.
There are many shelters along the way that are 'donativo' - which means you can donate what you can afford. Some of them, especially the smaller, more basic albergues, also offer an evening meal for a donation. Pilgrim menus are normally around 10 euro for a three course meal but it is much cheaper to buy and prepare your own food. Some menus offer a substantial plate of food for around 3 euro.
In Galicia the municipal and church sponsored albergues charge 3 euro.
It is 488km from Burgos to Santiago so 21 days is more than do-able.
Have a wonderful walk!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi and thanks for the advice.
I guess I meant join in as to how I can begin my journey there. Probably visit the cathedral, get my credential and then stay in an albergue the first night, and begin the next morning?

And yes, no hotels for me. I meant the albergues along the way. I was worried about running out of money and being stuck in between Burgos and Santiago somewhere, but looks like it's possible to travel modestly along the way! Our Canadian dollar is just awful against the Euro..

Ok, I'll set my sights on a 21 day walk!
Thanks fellow pilgrims.

Pick up the inexpensive Camino Guide from the Confraternity of St James in England. It lists refugios and prices...it is well suited for the budget traveler!! Buen Camino!

MarnieT said:
Hi there,
I'm happily starting to plan my trip along the Camino. However, finances are very tight and I'm wondering what I could survive on from Burgos- Santiago.
I can eat cheap anywhere, not too concerned with that..but am worried about how much I'll need for hostels (I'll be staying in the cheapest ones I can find) I'm not a high budget traveller..it's the journey that matters :)
Also, if anyone can help me with info on how to join in Burgos.. I'd appreciate it. I've read everyone's guide suggestions and will definitely buy those.
I'm assuming I can do Burgos- Santiago in 21-24 days?
Thanks and sorry if any of this is repetitive..it's my first day on the forum :)
M

Hi Marnie,

Spanish phorums says that you can walk for 1 euro/km.

But of course is possible to walk very much cheaper, depending on yourself. But, albergues are getting more expensive every year (not in 2009 because crisis) so this rule changes for everyone.

Supermarkets offers you some options to reduce your cost.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Back