• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Money card woes

ScooterB

Time of past OR future Camino
April-May 2016 (Frances), June-July 2017 (Le Puy)
A question for you veteran pilgrims: my son is currently on the Camino Frances just outside of Leon. His ATM card has ceased to function, we believe on account of a demagnetized strip. He has ordered a new card and we will mail it to him from the US when it arrives at our house, but in the meantime, do you have any ideas for how he can get his hands on cash? We wired him some money earlier this week, but the fees to do that are prohibitive. Is it possible for him to use a credit card for a cash advance, or perhaps to get money from a cambio using his credit card? Any advice or suggestions would be welcome!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Has he walked inside a bank to inquire about using his card to withdraw money from a teller? With proper identification it could be possible.
Walking with a single credit card is not advisable.
Meredith is correct about using Western Union, the money can be picked up in almost any location along the Camino.
I would be very cautious about mailing a new credit card to Spain.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sorry to learn of your problem Have you looked at sending money via Western Union?
Here is their web.
https://www.westernunion.com/fr/en/home.html

Good luck to you and Buen camino to your son!
Yes, I sent him €400 and it cost over $550. I don’t see that as a sustainable solution for the next several months that he plans to spend in Europe.

Has he walked inside a bank to inquire about using his card to withdraw money from a teller? With proper identification it could be possible.
Walking with a single credit card is not advisable.
Meredith is correct about using Western Union, the money can be picked up in almost any location along the Camino.
I would be very cautious about mailing a new credit card to Spain.
Thank you, I will suggest to him that he go inside and speak to a teller.

Thank you, I will suggest to him that he go inside and speak to a teller.

He has a credit card and a debit card. It’s the debit card that no longer works, hence my questions about buying currency with his credit card. Sorry if that was unclear.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
He can get money on his credit card, probably, but he will need a PIN, and if he does not have it, the credit card companies only mail them to his address of record.

Typically, you can get a money order using a credit card which can be monetized
or you can make a purchase in a bigger city using a credit card and get cash back

but I would think it would be as easy as going into a bank and asking for a cash advance because the credit card companies charge ridiculous interest rates on cash
but the best recommendation is to simply go in and ask a bank teller or officer what your objectives are and that you have a credit card to collateralize the advance

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think there are too many variables here to offer any specific advice @ScooterB
I often use a credit card to withdraw cash abroad, but the rate is never very good. Depends a lot on the exchange rate, your bank's charges, the overseas bank's charges and in fact if your bank even allows it. It's normally my plan B.

I just had a look on Western Union. For me to send e400 it would cost about US$520. I use Western Union a lot at work, but again you get slugged for charges.

I'm not sure there are really any low cost (low fee) solutions.

Maybe your son could withdraw an amount using his credit card, and see what he gets charged?

As an aside, when on Camino, we use a currency card, that has 2 cards for the account, so we each carry one. When on my own, I carry both in separate places. And a regular ATM card / credit card as a back up.

Last edited:
He has ordered a new card and we will mail it to him from the US when it arrives at our house,

It would take a pretty powerful magnetic field to strip a modern chip&pin. Has your son been hitch-hiking UFO's?

Why isn't the card provider mailing the card direct to an agreed pick-up? There are some complex liability issues if you are forwarding the card. All his. Does his card provider even know he is in Europe? If not that will probably explain the disfunction - the provider has blocked all transactions until their customer qualifies them.

It would take a pretty powerful magnetic field to strip a modern chip&pin. Has your son been hitch-hiking UFO's?

Why isn't the card provider mailing the card direct to an agreed pick-up? There are some complex liability issues if you are forwarding the card. All his. Does his card provider even know he is in Europe? If not that will probably explain the disfunction - the provider has blocked all transactions until their customer qualifies them.
Yes, Wells Fargo was put on notice of his travel plans. Their policy in replacing a debit card is to mail it to the address of record. They seem quite strict about this requirement. Perhaps if I send the card to Ivar using FedEx or DHL? Would that be safer than the Postal Service?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When AmEx sends replacement cards to travelers, they use overnight FedEx or DHL. Tell your son to hole up in some decent hotel in a largish city for a couple nights until you can overnight the card to him. It will will expensive but not omg as much as Western Union.

He can get money on his credit card, probably, but he will need a PIN, and if he does not have it, the credit card companies only mail them to his address of record.

I think that you will find it very expensive to get a cash with a credit card, as it's treated as a cash advance, and interest starts accruing from the day you get the money.
I have some experience with cards being mailed to Spain, as I was pickpocketed in Madrid before I even started my first Camino last year. I was on the phone with my banks immediately, and they were able to send the cards to me in Spain. I gave them the address of a pension that I had a reservation at. One of the cards (my debit card) didn't arrive by the time I got to the pension, so I gave the owners some money to send it ahead to me to the post office in Burgos, where I had no problem picking it up from General Delivery. I needed to have my husband call to activate it from home, as their activation system wouldn't work when I called from Europe.

Before I got the cards my husband sent me money via Western Union, and to be honest, I don't know what the cost was.

After I had my credit card, but not my debit card, I was able to pay for a few meals, and an albergue for myself and my Camino friends with the credit card, and they gave me cash.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
He has a credit card and a debit card. It’s the debit card that no longer works, hence my questions about buying currency with his credit card. Sorry if that was unclear.

Sorry to hear about this. But in the grand scheme of things it is just a minor irritation.

Taking a cash advance from your credit card is really a loan and it is very expensive. I have had new credit cards sent to me twice in Spain for different reasons. Never had a problem. When the card was ready to be sent, I made a reservation for several days in advance at a hotel and called to confirm that the hotel would accept a delivery. The CC company used a fed ex or some kind of two or three day delivery service, and it was never a problem, once in Aguilar de Campoo on the Camino Olvidado, and once in Puebla de Sanabria on the Sanabres.

I definitely think it would be worth taking the card inside a bank to see about what the problem is. I agree with those who have suggested that if the chip or the strip is the problem, they might be able to use it the old fashioned way inside the bank. We had debit cards long before there were magnetic strips or chips, I believe.

If you deposit money into a credit card so that the card is in advance, then you can withdraw the money without paying interest. I have done this on occasion. It does not work if you have made any purchases on the card, because any money paid in is applied first to the purchases, even if the card is not yet due to be paid.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Why not get in touch with the USA embassy and ask for assistance? I know the UK will advance cash etc and sort out this sort of problem, they dont like it but......

..... Is it possible for him to use a credit card for a cash advance .....

Assuming you don't carry a balance on your credit card, the interest can be avoided on cash advances by simply making a payment to cover the amount of the advance, before the advance is taken. If there is a balance on the card, then the balance must be paid as well for this to work.

My credit card is tied into my online banking so I can easily transfer money to the credit card before requesting a cash advance. Otherwise, perhaps a bill payment option would work.

I've had no problems getting a cash advance on my Canadian Visa card in person, at a bank in Portugal. I do not know whether credit card cash advances work from an ATM but it may also be worth a try.

Why not get in touch with the USA embassy and ask for assistance? I know the UK will advance cash etc and sort out this sort of problem, they dont like it but......
I very much doubt that the US Embassy would advance money to someone who has the means (mother who can wire money) to get money on their own. I would think that would be reserved for people in the most dire circumstances.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

HA, good luck with that. As The World My Village knows, after she got beat up and had all her stuff stolen, the US embassy in Portugal just gave her a temporary passport and said sorry to hear about it. But maybe they do offer better financial services than personal services for US citizens in distress.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
In case your son's replacement card is not being sent by FedEx, DHL, or other overnight carrier and in case he cannot withdraw funds by entering a bank and trying to get help with his ATM...

Why not just send your son your own ATM card (by overnight or second day service) - after informing your bank that it will be used in Spain and maybe some other places if your son is traveling elsewhere in Europe. You at home can inform your bank that you need a second card and that you have provided your card to your son who will be using it in Spain and ??? So you fund your son for his travels and he repays you. Or you send his card on to him when you receive it.

Good luck. Nice to have a kind mother back home.

Tom

The Embassy is very unlikely to be helpful as this is not their role. Many times a card reader or ATM is not working. Hopefully by simply alerting the bank that you had a difficulty and trying again with a different location, he will find it working again. Western Union is the parents best option, I think.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Embassy is very unlikely to be helpful as this is not their role. Many times a card reader or ATM is not working. Hopefully by simply alerting the bank that you had a difficulty and trying again with a different location, he will find it working again. Western Union is the parents best option, I think.

That’s a very good point. Also, I know it seems obvious, but in Spain if you withdraw from current account sometimes it doesn’t work. I usually withdraw from credit account when I use the ATM.

Also, my debit card has worked in only about half of ATMs. I always use an ATM during work hours on a weekday, I carry one credit card which is in one location, and the debit card is in another.

I have two locations in which I store paper money.

oh, I also have to note that having lived overseas for eight years, US Embassy is pretty useless. I will have to add that the British Embassy was also fairly ambivalent, although embassies were happy to support others were working hard on behalf of the citizens. Anyway, embassies never give out money. Never say never, but I’ve never seen it happen.

Was going to advise what @Kanga has already posted. Deposit money into his credit card account. That’s what I do as my backup plan to my debit card. But as @Monique S. posted, how well it works will all depend on the current balance of his credit card. You need to put enough on the card to completely cover any current commitments plus allow for his withdrawals. Alternatively he can just make the cash withdrawals and pay the associated fees which sound like they may be no worse than the fees you have already been charged.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back