• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Money: Cash or card?

Åsa Eklöv

Time of past OR future Camino
I have a question about how to do with money. Is it easy to reach cash machines or do I need to have a lot of cash with me? How much money do I need per day?
Greateful for answers :) Åsa

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In all the bigger towns there are ATM's, though very few villages have them. Cash per day varies depending on yourself. €30 per day is more than sufficient in my view. Just decide how much you plan to spend per day and then work out how many days there is between each of the big towns to determine how much to carry with you. Off course be sure to carry about 2 days worth extra cash as a reserve.

Good friends above got it right, take two cards - one never knows when an ATM might swallow your card on a Saturday afternoon and then what-a long wait until Monday morning at 1000? Keep them in separate places and split your money. No real worries about theft but one can easily walk off and forget a wallet on the counter of a cafe/bar a pharmacy or a shop. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have a question about how to do with money. Is it easy to reach cash machines or do I need to have a lot of cash with me? How much money do I need per day?
cash machines at all the medium and larger towns, which are usually stage start/end (even two or three sometimes). carry at least 50 euros on you, in my opinion at least, no need to carry large wads of cash.

So funny, this question has been asked a zillion times and then everybody replies with always the same answers......i carry 300, 250, 500.....

Isnt it just normal common sense to carry both cash and card(s)?

Take cash and cards , atm machine's are plenty along the way . Have about 3 till 400 euro in cash . Buen Camino , Peter .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
.....Isnt it just normal common sense to carry both cash and card(s)?

I'm not sure that it is. Here in the states I carry very little cash and spend even less. I can have the same $20 in my wallet for 2-3 months as I always use a debit card unless cash is needed and in my normal day-to-day living cash just isn't needed.

So funny, this question has been asked a zillion times and then everybody replies with always the same answers......i carry 300, 250, 500.....

--Don't be grumpy.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Isn't that what everyone has said.....

I carried about €300 with me and topped that up at ATMs in the larger towns when I got down to about €50. There are ATMs in most of the larger towns but not the villages. It should not be a problem.
Buen Camino.
before I order my euro cash at bank - What size cash note denominations worked best- just 10 and 20 euro notes?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It is not always easy to change 50€ notes so keep their number low and rely more on 20€ notes. Cash is still 'king' so keep enough in hand to pay for food and lodging while having the card to use at ATMs. More places will no doubt be taking cards but it is still basically a cash economy in the rural areas, unlike in many of of home countries.
Also, as has been said on other similar threads, make sure that your card has a 4 digit pin to work in the ATM. They do not take 6 digit pins.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A selection of Camino Jewellery
You really don't need to order any money as you must know from your previous trips to Spain. You get off the airplane and stick your card in the machine. Hopefully, you have a card that doesn't charge either ATM fees or fees for international purchases. However, if you feel more comfortable getting advanced money, I agree to limiting the 50, and get some 5's. You will, of course, try to use your coins (ones and 50 coins, etc) as often as possible as those coins can add a good deal of weight.

You really don't need to order any money as you must know from your previous trips to Spain. You get off the airplane and stick your card in the machine. Hopefully, you have a card that doesn't charge either ATM fees or fees for international purchases. However, if you feel more comfortable getting advanced money, I agree to limiting the 50, and get some 5's. You will, of course, try to use your coins (ones and 50 coins, etc) as often as possible as those coins can add a good deal of weight.
Thanks. Yes coins are a priority to spend each day!

Has anyone used the post office travel money card.....basically you charge it with a certain amount of money for your trip...say 500 pounds..then you use it as you would your debit card until you have used that amount up......it can be topped up..by phone or post office in uk if you leave additional funds with family.....if stolen......they would only have access to the money on the card but not your main bank account......think you can have up to three cards.....am thinking of getting a couple

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm with everyone else-cash & cards. Don't carry more than about 50-60€in cash. I kept a list of which towns along my route that had ATM machines. Never carry all cash. This is a big mistake. I have heard to many bad stories about lost or stolen money. I slept with my money and passport. The Camino is relatively safe, but you never know. Buen Camino.

We have used a cash card but the PO ones sounds interesting if other family members can top it up. The one we used previously had to be fully loaded or topped up by us in person. We will look ito it, but any other info re folks' experience with this card will be good.

I'm not sure that it is. Here in the states I carry very little cash and spend even less. I can have the same $20 in my wallet for 2-3 months as I always use a debit card unless cash is needed and in my normal day-to-day living cash just isn't needed.
Exactly. Also here in Europe I only need cash (coins more specifically) for coffee machine at my job and cash (general) for 1 parking lot that doesn't like my cards although its meant to take cards. But I only go to that place once in a few months.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I live in Spain 90% of the year and spend the rest of the time in Norway and the Netherlands. VERY different attitudes to cards/cash. In Spain CASH IS KING. In Norway you can't use cash even on local buses! In the Netherlands I can take you to cycle stores that ONLY take cards! The local 7-11 in Oslo HATES cash, the one in Alicante HATES cards.

You could do the entire camino on cash. If you use ATMs, I suggest that you ONLY use them INSIDE banks and ONLY in banking hours. "Punto, pelota" ....as we say. (=without debate)

I live in Spain 90% of the year and spend the rest of the time in Norway and the Netherlands. VERY different attitudes to cards/cash. In Spain CASH IS KING. In Norway you can't use cash even on local buses! In the Netherlands I can take you to cycle stores that ONLY take cards! The local 7-11 in Oslo HATES cash, the one in Alicante HATES cards.

You could do the entire camino on cash. If you use ATMs, I suggest that you ONLY use them INSIDE banks and ONLY in banking hours. "Punto, pelota" ....as we say. (=without debate)
Its all about where on the scale of grey the economy is. Card automatically means registration of transaction, cash leaves room for interpretations.

What a curious comment (=opinion)! It's all about answering the question.

The REALITY is "Cash is King" in Spain. It's a country in a deep financial crisis and the small businesses can't afford the charges the banks and merchant services impose for accepting cards. It IRRITATES me in the Netherlands that there are check-outs at the supermarket that ONLY accept cards. It seems that people who prefer to pay in cash are discriminated against.

If I were to state an OPINION, the world would be a far better place without credit cards and we returned to the days when you only got something when you had the money for it. The indiscriminate lending by the Spanish banks between 2001/2008 which caused the housing bubble is the number one reason for Spain's current crisis. What logic is there behind offering 105% (sic) mortgages to anybody with a pulse and a passport?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That's nonsens (=opinion). If i look at my local supermarket (a big AH) one! out of the 10+ check-outs is for cards only. You can hardly call that discrimination against cash.

I know more shops where i can't pay with card, than i know shops where i can't pay with cash. I've never even heard of the latter.

Well AH at Bos en Lommer make me feel very unloved and unwanted! I went there this afternoon as Lidl who do like cash are closed.

Yellow Bike under Central Station is ONLY "pinnen". "No cash on the premises."

The basic answer to the question is probably - when in Spain do as the Spanish do. Take a card to use in the ATMs and some places, but expect to pay with cash in most places. We have seen shops and cafes paying their wholesale deliveries with cash, that is how it works. Costs to sellers accepting cards will simply be passed on to the customer (as here) so IMO long may cash be king. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back