• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

money changers/banks in the camino

hikingmd_05

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances in 3 stages (2016/2017 & 2019)
CP in 2021
Hi! I just want to ask if there are money changers/banks in the camino. The euro is not readily available at the money changer shops in the Philippines. As tourists from the Philippines, we usually bring US dollars during our foreign trips and look for money changers in our destinations to change the dollar to the local currency. My camino is still in the planning stage. Thanks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Currency is not popular in Spain, so airport currency exchanges and banks are about the only places you can get Euros for dollars, and you will lose as much as 10% in the change. Travelers cheques are impossible to exchange anywhere. Banks in cities and larger villages are closed more than they are open, so you often have to stay late in the morning to wait for them to open, and, of course, not on the weekends. The least expensive option is an ATM/debit card. The machines are available 24 hours a day, and are located in villages as well as the larger cities. They will deliver Euros at a reasonable exchange rate, usually with a local ATM fee of about 4E. You minimize that fee by making large withdrawals; the limit is usually 300E per day. You will need a four digit PIN for the ATMs, so if you have a longer one, change it before you leave your home country.

I have successfully taken out euros from various ATM machines throughout Europe for years.

I will suggest that you check with your local bank to determine what you daily withdrawal limit is and if necessary, have it raised before you leave.

The major banks normally let you take as much as 500 euros out per withdrawal, while the local and smaller local banks keep the limit to 250-300 euro.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Do keep in mind that once on the Camino you won´t have the need of carrying so much money.
Credit cards go a long way and are safer and lighter as well.:)

Buen Camino!

My bank here in Canada advised me to take two debit cards, as "not all debit cards work at all banks". (Check the logos at the back of your card.) I ran into this difficulty only once on the Camino when my preferred debit card was not accepted by the ATM machine.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Many places along the Camino do NOT take credit cards.
Cash is King.
There are ATMs all along The Way.
I like using Charles Schwab Bank because they reimburse ALL fees, including exchange fees and ATM fees.

Hi! I just want to ask if there are money changers/banks in the camino. The euro is not readily available at the money changer shops in the Philippines. As tourists from the Philippines, we usually bring US dollars during our foreign trips and look for money changers in our destinations to change the dollar to the local currency. My camino is still in the planning stage. Thanks.

A few more points (additional to the great advice you have already received):
Yes, take two ATM cards with PIN and tell the respective banks that you are travelling abroad so that your card doesn't get blocked for 'unusual spending pattern'.
Remember that cash, when stolen, is gone, cards can be blocked and replaced. Still a nuisance, but not as much as losing all your money.
Keep all your cash, cards, passport ect ALWAYS with you, even if you 'just' go to the toilet at night.
Buen Camino, SY

A few more points (additional to the great advice you have already received):
Yes, take two ATM cards with PIN and tell the respective banks that you are travelling abroad so that your card doesn't get blocked for 'unusual spending pattern'.
Remember that cash, when stolen, is gone, cards can be blocked and replaced. Still a nuisance, but not as much as losing all your money.
Keep all your cash, cards, passport ect ALWAYS with you, even if you 'just' go to the toilet at night.
Buen Camino, SY

And I would add to that ........ and in the shower (in a waterproof bag) if you´re traveling alone.

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
H

Hello and welcome to the forum,

As mentioned by all thze exprienced peregrinos, it is beztter to take atm card (debit card) with you and take the maximum amount you will need. Most bank will let you take out a mavimum amount equivalent to $500 per day. With ud dollar cash, you will not get as good a rate as atm cash withdrawal. But make sure you let you bank know that you will be going to spain or france or both so that your bank will not block your card from being used.

I am currently in manila visiting. If you need more information about anything in the camino, send me a private om and give me your phone number so that i can contact you.

Buen camino and god bless.

I respectfully disagree with taking out the maximum. Although withdrawing money more frequently results in more exchange fees, it's worth it for my peace of mind. To lose $500 would be devastating to me, and I would never be comfortable carrying that amount of cash anywhere. I never take out more than $200. If I know there's a long patch ahead with no likelihood of ATMs, I might go to $300, but that's it. Just my opinion, and what makes me comfortable.
Also, the last time I called my bank to report that I would be out of the country, the agent reminded me "If your card is lost or stolen, just call the number on the back of the card"o_O:confused::confused: Therefore, just another reminder to make copies of the front and the back of your cards and carry them with you in a separate place from the cards themselves.

Also, the last time I called my bank to report that I would be out of the country, the agent reminded me "If your card is lost or stolen, just call the number on the back of the card"o_O:confused::confused:

Who says bankers have no sense of humor?;)

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.