• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Money exchange rates

WGroleau

Wandering Weirdo aka 伟思礼
Time of past OR future Camino
2015–2018 (partial)
I've read here and in other places complaints about exchange rates. Two suggestions:

1. Before starting, get a debit card from one of the banks that refund ATM fees. Schwab bank is mine, but I know there are others. In each city, get enough cash from an ATM to last till the next city big enough to have an ATM. And a little extra, in case some emergency requires a taxi or bus. (I also carried a second card, and more than once had to use it when some issue made the preferred card not work.)

2. Pay cash instead of credit. That way, you don't fall for the common trick of paying a "commission" for the conversion. One clown at McDonald's even had the gall to tell me the lie that they are required to do the transaction in "my" currency. He was left with an unpaid burger on the counter. (Many places will only accept cash.)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We have come to realize that our card that doesn't charge fees for foreign purchases, gets us a much better exchange rate than withdrawal of cash through an atm. And, while we still need cash for small things, anything over 15 euros can usually (not always) be paid for by card. Since my wife and I are walking together, this includes a lot of food and lodging bills.
But, if you are just getting a coffee... plan to pay cash. It costs the shops to use credit and they need you to spend enough that it's worth their effort.

I've read here and in other places complaints about exchange rates. Two suggestions:

1. Before starting, get a debit card from one of the banks that refund ATM fees. Schwab bank is mine, but I know there are others. In each city, get enough cash from an ATM to last till the next city big enough to have an ATM. And a little extra, in case some emergency requires a taxi or bus. (I also carried a second card, and more than once had to use it when some issue made the preferred card not work.)

2. Pay cash instead of credit. That way, you don't fall for the common trick of paying a "commission" for the conversion. One clown at McDonald's even had the gall to tell me the lie that they are required to do the transaction in "my" currency. He was left with an unpaid burger on the counter. (Many places will only accept cash.)
Start from home with a few hundred euros and replenish with few hundred when necessary. Always use ATM outside a bank during banking hours just in case there is a problem. I used my USA major bank debit cards and never had a problem. My fees were insignificant. Nothing worth getting another bank account or fretting over it. Perhaps because I'm old and remember using traveler's checks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We have come to realize that our card that doesn't charge fees for foreign purchases, gets us a much better exchange rate than withdrawal of cash through an atm. And, while we still need cash for small things, anything over 15 euros can usually (not always) be paid for by card. Since my wife and I are walking together, this includes a lot of food and lodging bills.
But, if you are just getting a coffee... plan to pay cash. It costs the shops to use credit and they need you to spend enough that it's worth their effort.
When we were on the CF last September we were surprised how many places asked for cash. Don’t be surprised if you visit the ATM more than you are expecting to.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.