• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Money Lost or Stolen in SPJDP Albergue

HallOfFreedom

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés April 26, 2016
I stayed at the Municipal Albergue in SPJDP (55 rue de la Citadelle) on Tuesday night, and Wednesday night in Rocesvalles I discovered that my backup euros were gone from my bag. I tried emailing the albergue with no response, and my phone won't connect to the number I have for them. Can anyone suggest another way to contact them? Or the Pilgrim Office (same issues connecting)?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ouch hard way to begin! You will find a way to shrug it off but it is a good warning you have put out. Whomever is responsible has figured out many just starting out are very tired by the time a person arrives in SJPDP. I was so tired I don't remember the bed or room I slept in.
I can only wish you the best as it will be a wonderful journey! (Get familiar with Euros so no one passes a counterfeit returning change)
Buen Camino
Keith

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That's bloody awfull. But Karma will visit the thief !!! Hope you're ok it's very un nerving to think that someone you may be walking, talking , having a drink with could be the thief. Stay possetive. Buen Camino. :)

i have a good reason to have a tent with me, but i feel sorry that this happend to you. god bless you for the rest of the way.

i have a good reason to have a tent with me, but i feel sorry that this happend to you. god bless you for the rest of the way.
Speaking of a tent...what is the consensus of this forum?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Next time I will carry a rain fly if I find a place to watch the stars. But it is not a need

Yes a hard lesson but thats why we have bum bags or fanny packs as Americans call them.

Keep all your valuables close to you at all times

buen camino .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Tenting is done but they find just an odd empty spot. If in a city they had to walk past and to outskirts which means inconvenience in some ways. Remember walking to just get to Burgos city Center is 8 km and with this being said coming in you are walking on highway, past airport, and so on. Remember being in the city is where you meet your fellow pilgrims, eat and enjoy community, pilgrim mass, groceries, etc. It is possible if you your desire. I would give one suggestion though .....on your final day stay in city of Santiago so you are a part of the excitement and celebrations. Many stopped and found hostels early thinking there would be no vacancies but then in the evening they had to prepare their 1/2 walk home. I was there the week before last year July big festival and one hostel one night switched up next day right close to cathedral. Fireworks, live band, excitement all around. Nice finish to an incredible journey.

I was wondering about a tent. I will be on the camino frances mid Sept. I have an extremely lightweight tent that I use for backpacking in Colorado US. Are there places to put a tent along the route?

I was wondering about a tent. I will be on the camino frances mid Sept. I have an extremely lightweight tent that I use for backpacking in Colorado US. Are there places to put a tent along the route?
Officially I say not that many places designated for that. At least I never saw many.
Unofficially I saw people in small tents in various spots along the CF. I never saw anybody hassling them for it, and it was just a tent. Not like they set up a camp site, with a fire etc. In fact I passed one tent that the pilgrim had placed a donation container outside of. Pilgrims were walking by and dropping euro coins and snacks in it. I left him a roll of digestive biscuits. He may have been more hobo than pilgrim, but what the heck.
I'm sure I'll get chastised on here for saying this, but I suppose if you picked a spot, set up after dusk and left before dawn and left nothing behind but footprints, there is no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Officially I say not that many places designated for that. At least I never saw many.
Unofficially I saw people in small tents in various spots along the CF. I never saw anybody hassling them for it, and it was just a tent. Not like they set up a camp site, with a fire etc. In fact I passed one tent that the pilgrim had placed a donation container outside of. Pilgrims were walking by and dropping euro coins and snacks in it. I left him a roll of digestive biscuits. He may have been more hobo than pilgrim, but what the heck.
I'm sure I'll get chastised on here for saying this, but I suppose if you picked a spot, set up after dusk and left before dawn and left nothing behind but footprints, there is no problem.
Thanks, Mark, I think I will be leaving the tent at home.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back