A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Money saving tip...

andywild

Camino(s) past & future
CF april 18.. CP sep 18.. CF april 2020
On my previous Camino Frances my nearly new Salomon trail runners were trashed by the time I reached Santiago. The tread on the sole had completely worn out which lead me to what can only be described as a flash of genius..
On my upcoming walk I plan to double the length of my stride and therefore half the amount of steps taken.. ideally I would treble my stride length but this may illicit funny looks??
If this doesn't work I am planning to take a series of 6 step run ups and then launch myself in the style of an Olympic long jumper... with this method I calculate I get a 3-4metres free with every 6 steps.

Has anyone tried either of the above? If not I may consider a patent.. similar to the fosbury flop but maybe known as the wild lunge?

Jan_D

Camino(s) past & future
Aragones (2011)
Frances (2012)
Norte (2013, 2014)
Hospitalera (2014)
Portugues (2017)

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I hate to tell ya, Andy, but a "large" part of the problem with the soles of your shoes wearing out so quickly could be the weight you carry on your your back...not your pack! 😉

Last edited:

andywild

Camino(s) past & future
CF april 18.. CP sep 18.. CF april 2020
I hate to tell ya, Andy, but a "large" part of the problem with the soles of your shoes wearing out so quickly could be the weight you carry on your your back...not your pack! 😉
Luckily at around 17 stone (108 kg) I'm practically built like a racing snake... Some would even say "willowy" 😃

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Luckily at around 17 stone (108 kg) I'm practically built like a racing snake... Some would even say "willowy" 😃
I only know weight in pounds, so used my handy calculater...238 pounds, not bad for a really tall guy like you. I'm half your weight...so the soles of my shoes last twice as long! 😄

SenorJacques

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés (May-June 2020)
I’m looking forward to trying out my new Osprey Jetpak (TM) during my first Camino this spring, which will allow me to hover several inches over the trail for the duration and thus avoid the whole issue of wearing down my soles entirely. Bonus: I won’t have to worry about blisters either!

(Sure, I had to pay Osprey about $800K+ for the prototype, which of course is top secret - but at least I’ll be saving money on wearing out a nice new pair of Altra Lone Peaks.)

Yambor17

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances October 2018, March 2020
I’m looking forward to trying out my new Osprey Jetpak (TM) during my first Camino this spring, which will allow me to hover several inches over the trail for the duration and thus avoid the whole issue of wearing down my soles entirely. Bonus: I won’t have to worry about blisters either!

(Sure, I had to pay Osprey about $800K+ for the prototype, which of course is top secret - but at least I’ll be saving money on wearing out a nice new pair of Altra Lone Peaks.)

[/QUOT
Do you have to check your rocket fuel? Or, do you have to carry it on like lithium batteries? Ooorrrr, it's it cheaper to just pick up your fuel in SJPDP?

The trade mark was a nice touch. 😂

grumerz

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Santiago April - June, 2016
The attached photo illustrates four variations of the stride you propose. Perhaps you may find further inspiration, (sans bowler, satchel and bumbershoot,) in your quest for economic ambulation. Buen Camino!

Silly walk.png
Sorry. I'll let myself out, thank you very much.

Last edited:

pelerine

Camino(s) past & future
Norte 10, Primitivo 13, Plata 14+15, Salvador 16, Torres 17, Portugues 18, Mozarabe 19

Do you qualify for a compostela?

Camino(s) past & future
2013 Camino Frances SJPP / 2014 Camino Portugues / 2015 Camino Ingles / 2015 Hospitalero Training
2016 (fall) Camino Sanabre / Hospitalero?
On my previous Camino Frances my nearly new Salomon trail runners were trashed by the time I reached Santiago. The tread on the sole had completely worn out which lead me to what can only be described as a flash of genius..
On my upcoming walk I plan to double the length of my stride and therefore half the amount of steps taken.. ideally I would treble my stride length but this may illicit funny looks??
If this doesn't work I am planning to take a series of 6 step run ups and then launch myself in the style of an Olympic long jumper... with this method I calculate I get a 3-4metres free with every 6 steps.

Has anyone tried either of the above? If not I may consider a patent.. similar to the fosbury flop but maybe known as the wild lunge?
You might also consider TIP-TOEING that could make the heels last longer.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
andywild "Not so serious" topics 41
OLDER threads on this topic
Weight saving tips

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 56 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 326 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock