• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Money saving tip...

andywild

Time of past OR future Camino
CF april 18.. CP sep 18.. CF april 2020
On my previous Camino Frances my nearly new Salomon trail runners were trashed by the time I reached Santiago. The tread on the sole had completely worn out which lead me to what can only be described as a flash of genius..
On my upcoming walk I plan to double the length of my stride and therefore half the amount of steps taken.. ideally I would treble my stride length but this may illicit funny looks??
If this doesn't work I am planning to take a series of 6 step run ups and then launch myself in the style of an Olympic long jumper... with this method I calculate I get a 3-4metres free with every 6 steps.

Has anyone tried either of the above? If not I may consider a patent.. similar to the fosbury flop but maybe known as the wild lunge?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Luckily at around 17 stone (108 kg) I'm practically built like a racing snake... Some would even say "willowy" 😃
I only know weight in pounds, so used my handy calculater...238 pounds, not bad for a really tall guy like you. I'm half your weight...so the soles of my shoes last twice as long! 😄

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’m looking forward to trying out my new Osprey Jetpak (TM) during my first Camino this spring, which will allow me to hover several inches over the trail for the duration and thus avoid the whole issue of wearing down my soles entirely. Bonus: I won’t have to worry about blisters either!

(Sure, I had to pay Osprey about $800K+ for the prototype, which of course is top secret - but at least I’ll be saving money on wearing out a nice new pair of Altra Lone Peaks.)

I’m looking forward to trying out my new Osprey Jetpak (TM) during my first Camino this spring, which will allow me to hover several inches over the trail for the duration and thus avoid the whole issue of wearing down my soles entirely. Bonus: I won’t have to worry about blisters either!

(Sure, I had to pay Osprey about $800K+ for the prototype, which of course is top secret - but at least I’ll be saving money on wearing out a nice new pair of Altra Lone Peaks.)

[/QUOT
Do you have to check your rocket fuel? Or, do you have to carry it on like lithium batteries? Ooorrrr, it's it cheaper to just pick up your fuel in SJPDP?

The trade mark was a nice touch. 😂

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The attached photo illustrates four variations of the stride you propose. Perhaps you may find further inspiration, (sans bowler, satchel and bumbershoot,) in your quest for economic ambulation. Buen Camino!

Silly walk.png
Sorry. I'll let myself out, thank you very much.

Last edited:

Do you qualify for a compostela?

On my previous Camino Frances my nearly new Salomon trail runners were trashed by the time I reached Santiago. The tread on the sole had completely worn out which lead me to what can only be described as a flash of genius..
On my upcoming walk I plan to double the length of my stride and therefore half the amount of steps taken.. ideally I would treble my stride length but this may illicit funny looks??
If this doesn't work I am planning to take a series of 6 step run ups and then launch myself in the style of an Olympic long jumper... with this method I calculate I get a 3-4metres free with every 6 steps.

Has anyone tried either of the above? If not I may consider a patent.. similar to the fosbury flop but maybe known as the wild lunge?
You might also consider TIP-TOEING that could make the heels last longer.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.