• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Money:)

PNVSMILEY

So how much did it cost everyone to walk the Camino? Estimations? Did you do something extra that cost alot? Any unexpected expenses?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I averaged about €20 - €25 a day including all meals and accommodation. That was mainly cause I was eating the pilgrim meal most days. That said, I did cook occasionally and one evening a group of us fed about 8 people for the price of a single pilgrim's meal. So you can manage with much less if you are so inclined. Biggest expense was probably the hotel in Burgos and the pension in León that I treated myself to.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
On my last camino done in 2011, I averaged about 30-35 euros per day.

This was partially due the fact we decided to eat out most of the times in some of cafes and restaurants frequented by the locals and bypass the typical cheaper pilgrim style dinners which I must admit this time around were not as good as they were a few years ago. We also treated ourselves to better wines that the typical red house plonk that was being served at the pilgrim dinners which again was not as good as before.

Hence we spent a bit more for food and drink.

We also mixed it up a bit staying in public and private albergues and small pensions, so accommodation costs were on average higher than those that might simply choose to stay strictly in the cheaper public albergues.

You can certainly do it much cheaper but we wanted to experience and enjoy more of the Spanish food, wine and culture and we were prepared to spend a bit more for this.

Hi!

There are few unpredictable expenses on a day-to-day basis, as you're really just eating, drinking, sleeping and walking. I've always found other pilgrims to be equally keen to eat at reasonably priced places etc, so it's unlikely your Camino family will all decide to go for a slap up lobster dinner.

It's useful to have access to extra funds for ease of mind, just in case your boots/backpack failed or some such catastrophe. It's also useful to have the option of staying in a hostal occasionally if places in albergues are short. Sharing a private room with others usually reduces the cost considerably.

The other consideration is the flight home, which is a bit of a trade off between flexibility and cost. You can book your flight home well in advance to reduce cost, but you may then feel you're walking to a schedule.

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.