• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Money!

WillG931

Hello everyone! First off, sorry to those who dont speak/read english. The thought of doing these long trekking trips just play in my head all day. I only make $20,000 (USD) a year. Any advice on how much i should save. tips on saving up. Any just good ol advice would be appreciated.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Re: MONEY!!!

Staying in the public Albergues, eating the menu del dia / Peregrino and being moderate with refreshments you can probably manage to complete the Camino France's on 25 - 30 euros a day. Say 1000 euros? You will need more if you want to stay in private Albergues or Hostales / Hotels, eat better than basic, or treat yourself occasionally.

The rest of your costs are getting to your starting point and home again and any kit you don't already own.

Buen Camino

I leave may 28 and I spent about $1200 on my plane tix (round trip to Madrid) and I have about $2500 for while I am there. I know I have more than needed but ya never know if something bad happens to you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I got a ticket round trip for around $950

I have been spending 20-25 EUROS per day That includes expensive lodging in the VDLP. 20 euros per day should be more than enough in the Frances if you don't do bag transport and you picnic a lot.

At a push one can probably get away with €12 a day - but there will be no Menu del Dias - all food from the Supermacardo ... cook yourself ...... and if you really are poor , most albergues have a cupboard with 'Please use' food. I always cook for two , just incase there is someone in need of a meal. :wink:

hello will,

you should try to fly from the usa in low season. fares from the us to europe are quite high compare the other way. of course make sure that you are not coming to walk in october to march as some of the municipal albergues are closed.

if you are frugal you should be able to do the camino frances (assuming 30 days) on an average of 20 euro/day for a total of 600 euros plus some amount for contingency. the fixed costs are municipal albergue, meals. stay away from the private hostal if possible, go to the next town if necessary. you must eat at least a decent meal each day to give you the energy to continue your camino the next day. more wonderful if you can find a free albergue to go to. or go to pueblos with donativos. of course give at least 5 euros or more depending on whether you participate in a communal meals or have breakfast before your departure.

it has been a year since i walked the camino frances. but i can make a few suggestion.

try to eat breakfast at the albergue before you start your walk. in someplace you have to pay extra. in other places there are always coffee, tea, juices, biscuit, jams, bread around. don't go on an empty stomach. you will need the energy to walk to the next stage. you can also buy some croissant , napolitana (pain au chocolate), or other breakfast goods for 1 euro in a pack. buy some juice if necessary.

always try to buy provisions from the chain supermarkets, they are cheaper than the tiendas. for lunch, you can prepared your own like every other peregrinos. buy bread (baguette) from the bakery if possible. they are very fresh and last for at least 2 days. buy jamon, chorizo, queso, salchichon, ,tomato to make your own bocadillo. pack of these are usually 1 euro each. if you pass thru a bigger supermarket. you can order at the deli section where they can sliced it for you, also more selection. do buy some fruits-platanos, apple, orange. also buy some packaged dried fruits and nuts just in case you got hungry.

in the albergue if there is cooking facility, ask to participate with whoever is doing the cooking and contribute to the cost of the cooking and help with the cleaning up. if not there are cafe-bars and restaurants offering menu del peregrinos that cost usually 7-9 euros with meals nothing to jump up and down about. or it available a menu del dia which costs 1-2 euros more with better food. or you can also cook your own. just make sure you clean up after. also you can order a combination plate which is cheaper, cost from 5-7 euros, normally consist of some salad, french fries, 2 eggs and pork loin.

from time to time, you might want to stop for a break. a cafe con leche, small with a croissant cost anywhere from 1.50 to 2.50 euros.

do not use the service of baggage transport (cost 5 euros normally), avoid taking the bus to the next town. if you are coming from madrid airport, take the bus which is the cheapest.

this is your camino, if the municipal albergue is full, try to go the next town but check to see whether there is a municipal albergue around. the guidebook's stages are just a guide, it is not the bible. you are also liable to find municipal albergue to bed down for the night off stages suggested.

if i can help you in any other ways. feel free to pm me.

buen camino. god bless.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Yes, I'm sure the heaviest thing in my pack is food! Lol. It is so inexpensive to picnic and quite healthy. I just bought good for three days and the total cost was about 7 euros. I'm carrying oranges, olives, pate iberico, tuna, bread, jam, salcichon and cheese. The only thing in having trouble finding is coffee in the little packets. All I can find is decaffeinated. On the Frances they even have sweetened milk in tubes for your coffee but haven't seen those here yet. Also, on the Frances I don't carry so much food. But on the VDLP there is not a tienda in every town.

Willg931:

Considering your stated salary, I imagine you know how to live frugally.

You can survive on the Camino Frances for 20-30 Euros @ day. At 30 days that would be 600-900 Euros or $800-$1200.

Travel from the USA to Madrid/Barcelona/Paris depending on time of year $800-$1200

Travel to and from port of entry $200-$400

My estimate would be $1800-$2800.

As other have stated, if you buy and cook your own food you could possibly get by on less per day. That said, I think my estimate is good for planning.

If I can be helpful, please feel free to PM me.

Ultreya,
Joe

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

And, on a positive note, you would have to eat and drink at home also, so it really doesn't make much difference if you eat and drink in Spain or at home as long as you live frugal in both places ;-) I think 15 Euro / day is perfectly doable if you stay in low-cost refuges and cater for yourself. Buen Camino! SY

Anniesantiago said:
The only thing in having trouble finding is coffee in the little packets. All I can find is decaffeinated. .

Yes! This has always been a mystery to me. On the rare occasion that I find caffeinated instant coffee packet I really stock up! Also usually bring a few Starbucks Via from home. :)

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.