• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Money

RichardF

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances ( 2016 )
Hi! As someone intending to walk the CF for the first time ( end of April - May, 2016 ), can anyone advise on how much money should roughly be required? I'm intending to travel simply but not spartanly...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@RichardF you may find the Forum search facility(top right of the screen) helpful. There is a wealth of information here and most topics have been broached. If you try searching for 'budget' you will find lots of stuff. Consensus suggests that €30-€40 per day will provide for a comfortable Camino depending on your own personal expectations and needs. Many spend far less, some far more. Beware the common traps - Donativo does not mean 'free', and Menu del Peregrino does not mean bargain.

Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Many thanks, folks - and thanks for the welcomes, too! That's great - gives me a starting framework to budget from.

Thanks again! :)

Hi! As someone intending to walk the CF for the first time ( end of April - May, 2016 ), can anyone advise on how much money should roughly be required? I'm intending to travel simply but not spartanly...
Hi Richard and welcome to this wonderful forum.
Last year I walked 37 day's and I spend about € 1400.
Wish you a great journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Many thanks, Peter - that's really useful to me and much appreciated! :)

Cheers!

Depends on how many pockets you can pick. I came back with more that I set off with. :eek:

Hope this helps.

Good one Introibo... Nothing wrong with liberating some under utilized funds.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Kidding aside, I'm planning a €45 per day with some cushion for unforeseen costs.
Chris

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You've got to pick a pocket or two. Rule Britannia.
At least one of my forebears arrived in Australia because he wasn't all that successful at liberating money that the courts decided wasn't rightly his! Perhaps @Introibo should be thankful that those free passage arrangements have long since lapsed:p.

At least one of my forebears arrived in Australia because he wasn't all that successful at liberating money that the courts decided wasn't rightly his! Perhaps @Introibo should be thankful that those free passage arrangements have long since lapsed:p.
One of mine won his trip for "larceny of shirt." We Fitzgeralds were a busy bunch!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I've walked for as little as 12 euros a day to a lot lot lot more. The 12 euros a day meant sleeping at municipals, eating canned sardines and bread (they taste great .. believe me) and the occassional cafe con leche. There were days when I'd have met up with long lost Camino buddies and I'd blow like there was no tomorrow :) Buen Camino

It may be a good time to again mention the carrying of cash while on the Camino.
Carrying large sums is simply a huge mistake.
Carrying more than you can afford to lose is a mistake.
Always have your valuables with you, even in the shower.
Use ATMs that are found along the way. Avoid fees when possible.
Search this forum for more advice on ATM use.

Whatever their budgets many pilgrims carry a sum of cash for a few days use plus a hidden stash of emergency funds. Obtain further cash when needed at an ATM using either a credit card or a debit card. ATMs can run out over busy weekends or even in a storm, hence the need for emergency funds. NEVER tell anyone how much cash you are carrying or where it is. Do carry a few small Euro bills as change since it can be close to impossible to break a 50 Euro note in a tiny town. However gas stations will often change a bill even if you don't buy gas!

Good luck and Buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Be sure to know where the next ATM is. For example, there is not one in Roncevalle, the machine in the next town is after the Camino turn off.
I would like to thank past "Camino Families" for their patience. Carry enough and more, help others.... Ultreya, Buen Camino... Willy/Utah/USA

It may be a good time to again mention the carrying of cash while on the Camino.
Carrying large sums is simply a huge mistake.
Carrying more than you can afford to lose is a mistake.
Always have your valuables with you, even in the shower.
Use ATMs that are found along the way. Avoid fees when possible.
Search this forum for more advice on ATM use.

I wish there was a "double like" button for this one.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.