Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Monforte de Lemos to Chantada?

Charrito

Veteran Member
As this is a pretty long stage, and with very few places (if any!) to stop for a drink/food, has anyone ever made a slight detour to Escairón? You can get back onto the Camiño quite easily, or just walk down to Belesar.

If so, where did you stay, please?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You are correct there are no accommodation located right on the Camino over this section.
As far as i can recall the only bar/restaurant or cafe is located in the village of Belesar.
This thread does give some details of where to stay.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/invierno-guide-january-2015-now-available.30641/
The link to the guide is not working now but this one is.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-to-the-camino-de-invierno-february-2015.301/
I think the person who had a hand it writing the guide and is now responsible peregrina2000 is walking to Santiago at the moment. So do not know if she will be able to give more information on this.
I hope this helps.

You are correct there are no accommodation located right on the Camino over this section.
As far as i can recall the only bar/restaurant or cafe is located in the village of Belesar.
This thread does give some details of where to stay.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/invierno-guide-january-2015-now-available.30641/
The link to the guide is not working now but this one is.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-to-the-camino-de-invierno-february-2015.301/
I think the person who had a hand it writing the guide and is now responsible peregrina2000 is walking to Santiago at the moment. So do not know if she will be able to give more information on this.
I hope this helps.

Thanks, I already knew about your Casa Rural and will almost certainly spend a night there (if there's any room, of course).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As this is a pretty long stage, and with very few places (if any!) to stop for a drink/food, has anyone ever made a slight detour to Escairón? You can get back onto the Camiño quite easily, or just walk down to Belesar.

If so, where did you stay, please?
Hola, Charrito!

I walked Invierno last year and can correct @Ribeirasacra on possible acommodation and bar/restaurant options between Monforte & Chantada.
First option for sleeping is in Castrotane, 12,5kms from Monforte and you can find some more info on that in post #42 here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-camino-de-invierno-july-2014.25355/
The second one is (rooms, restaurant) Torre Vilarino, some 6,5kms after Castrotane, that's approx. 19kms from Monforte and 21kms before Chantada). More accurate - you turn left for 400mts when crossing the tarmac road from Camino Grande to A Barxa. If you'd turn right at this spot you go to Escairon, straight on to A Barxa and left to Torre Vilarino.
You can read more about both options in this guide on pages 18-19:

Ultreia!

Last edited:
Hola, Charrito!

I walked Invierno last year and can correct @Ribeirasacra on possible acommodation and bar/restaurant options between Monforte & Chantada.
First option for sleeping is in Castrotane, 12,5kms from Monforte and you can find some more info on that in post #42 here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-camino-de-invierno-july-2014.25355/
The second one is (rooms, restaurant) Torre Vilarino, some 6,5kms after Castrotane, that's approx. 19kms from Monforte and 21kms before Chantada). More accurate - you turn left for 400mts when crossing the tarmac road from Camino Grande to A Barxa. If you'd turn right at this spot you go to Escairon, straight on to A Barxa and left to Torre Vilarino.

Ultreia!
Thank you, KinkyOne!

I've read the marvellous guide as well as your fantastic journal, so I'm pretty clear about most things. I didn't realise that Torre Vilariño was a restaurant as well as a Casa Rural, though, so I'll almost certainly make the 400 metre detour down there before carrying on towards the river. My plan is probably to treat myself and stay the night at Casa de Santo Estevo, before heading off to Chantada the following day.

Having done the Fisterra and Inglés, I have no fears about long stages, but I always like to have some idea of a place to stop off for a drink. I remember the long stage from Negreira to Olveiroa on the Fisterra, where I had a couple of beers at Casa Pepa in Santa Mariña, and then the famous Casa Julia on the way from Betanzos to Bruma on the Inglés.

My plan is to set off from Ponferrada around the first or second week of June. No doubt it will be boiling hot whenever I go, as I seem to attract heatwaves!!!!

Thank you, KinkyOne!

I've read the marvellous guide as well as your fantastic journal, so I'm pretty clear about most things. I didn't realise that Torre Vilariño was a restaurant as well as a Casa Rural, though, so I'll almost certainly make the 400 metre detour down there before carrying on towards the river. My plan is probably to treat myself and stay the night at Casa de Santo Estevo, before heading off to Chantada the following day.

Having done the Fisterra and Inglés, I have no fears about long stages, but I always like to have some idea of a place to stop off for a drink. I remember the long stage from Negreira to Olveiroa on the Fisterra, where I had a couple of beers at Casa Pepa in Santa Mariña, and then the famous Casa Julia on the way from Betanzos to Bruma on the Inglés.

My plan is to set off from Ponferrada around the first or second week of June. No doubt it will be boiling hot whenever I go, as I seem to attract heatwaves!!!!
If you'll remember, and stop there of course, please give my regards to Asun and her mother in A Rua albergue. Just mention "un peregrino Esloveno" and "chinchas" (bedbugs) as she will surely remember me ;)

Ultreia!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you'll remember, and stop there of course, please give my regards to Asun and her mother in A Rua albergue. Just mention "un peregrino Esloveno" and "chinchas" (bedbugs) as she will surely remember me ;)

Ultreia!
WILL DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure they'll remember you!

By the way, I think you'll find that the correct word is 'chinches', not 'chinchas'! 'Chinchetas' are 'thumbtacks', not a diminutive with the idea of small bedbugs! If they could get any smaller, that is!

Your photos of how they left your back and arms were great, by the way. Not nice at all! I hope you're now fully recovered.

Last edited:
Hi, Charrito,
You'll have to fill us in on the new developments on the Invierno when you go in June. I hope to be there in July, probably starting around the 3rd, depending on how the earlier part of my Camino on the Cami St. Jaume and then the Cami Catala go. It seems like there is a better chance I'll meet up with someone this year -- last time I walked I never saw another pilgrim till Laxe on the Sanabres.

It is a lovely stage, and if you have time to break it up, so much the better! I did get lost after Castrotane, but hope that things are better marked now. I really enjoyed my stay at the Casa Santo Estevo. If I am lucky enough to get back there this year, I am going to do my darndest to stay up later -- we ate outside on the terrace watching the night fall, but I just couldn't keep my eyes open till all the stars came out. But it was one of the loveliest Camino dinners I ever had -- sipping wine made from grapes grown on the other side of the Minho from where I was sitting!

Buen camino, Laurie

WILL DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure they'll remember you!

By the way, I think you'll find that the correct word is 'chinches', not 'chinchas'! 'Chinchetas' are 'thumbtacks', not a diminutive with the idea of small bedbugs! If they could get any smaller, that is!

Your photos of how they left your back and arms were great, by the way. Not nice at all! I hope you're now fully recovered.
Oh, you edited your post.
Yes, of course, those were "chinches". I guess I'm just trying to forget them and this includes the name too :D I recovered very shortly after Asun treated me with her "powers", thank you.

Ultreia!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, of course, those were "chinches". I guess I'm just trying to forget them and this includes the name too :D I recovered very shortly after Asun treated me with her "powers", thank you.

Ultreia!

As soon as we get round to April or May every year I start to get the Camino 'bug' again, although I hope it won't be bedbugs!

I've never had problems with them, but I did suffer from dozens of mosquito bites a few years ago after I stayed in some cheap pensión in Triacastela. My feet were in such a bad state by then, though, that I wasn't worried about the bites!

Ultreia!

Hi, Charrito,
You'll have to fill us in on the new developments on the Invierno when you go in June. I hope to be there in July, probably starting around the 3rd, depending on how the earlier part of my Camino on the Cami St. Jaume and then the Cami Catala go. It seems like there is a better chance I'll meet up with someone this year -- last time I walked I never saw another pilgrim till Laxe on the Sanabres.

It is a lovely stage, and if you have time to break it up, so much the better! I did get lost after Castrotane, but hope that things are better marked now. I really enjoyed my stay at the Casa Santo Estevo. If I am lucky enough to get back there this year, I am going to do my darndest to stay up later -- we ate outside on the terrace watching the night fall, but I just couldn't keep my eyes open till all the stars came out. But it was one of the loveliest Camino dinners I ever had -- sipping wine made from grapes grown on the other side of the Minho from where I was sitting!

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Laurie.

Of course I'll keep everyone on here up to date with my Camino, and any new developments. If I can work out how to do it, I'll try and produce some sort of daily diary, just like KinkyOne (although it would never be anywhere close to his marvellous chronicle!).

To be honest, I'm doing this Camino in honour of my mum, who sadly passed away last week at the age of 88. She was so proud when I finished my first Camino many years ago, and had framed 'Compostelas' on the wall above her bed. Anyway, as she's left me some money I will be doing a sort of 'upmarket' Camino; instead of staying in albergues I'll fork out for the comfort of a room with a shower in whatever pensión or hostal I come across! As there don't seem to be too many possibilities on the Invierno, it will probably be a case of necessity! I'll definitely splurge out and stay in the Casa Santa Estevo; your story about sitting on the terrace drinking wine (and looking where you need to walk down to and up from the next morning!) sounds like my 'cup of tea', as we say in British English!

Ultreia!

Maybe she said "chinchas" because that word is correct in Galego. In Galicia you can hear chinches or chinchas depending on the place.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Maybe she said "chinchas" because that word is correct in Galego. In Galicia you can hear chinches or chinchas depending on the place.

As far as I know, they either use the same castellano word 'chinches' or say 'couzas', which basically means 'things'!

Chincha is the official name in Galego for chinche and is feminine A Chincha, Spanish El Chinche.

From the Galego Dictionnary:
chincha:
substantivo feminino Insecto da familia dos cimícidos (Cimex lectularius), de cor vermella escura e de corpo plano, que zuga sangue. Atopou unha chincha entre as sabas.

Many people in Galicia still say Chincha, but there also people who say it in Spanish: Chinche

Couzas? you meant Cousas (things), yes it's possible to call them that way if you don´t know the real name.

Hi, Laurie.

Of course I'll keep everyone on here up to date with my Camino, and any new developments. If I can work out how to do it, I'll try and produce some sort of daily diary, just like KinkyOne (although it would never be anywhere close to his marvellous chronicle!).

To be honest, I'm doing this Camino in honour of my mum, who sadly passed away last week at the age of 88. She was so proud when I finished my first Camino many years ago, and had framed 'Compostelas' on the wall above her bed. Anyway, as she's left me some money I will be doing a sort of 'upmarket' Camino; instead of staying in albergues I'll fork out for the comfort of a room with a shower in whatever pensión or hostal I come across! As there don't seem to be too many possibilities on the Invierno, it will probably be a case of necessity! I'll definitely splurge out and stay in the Casa Santa Estevo; your story about sitting on the terrace drinking wine (and looking where you need to walk down to and up from the next morning!) sounds like my 'cup of tea', as we say in British English!
My condolences, Charrito.
I'm sure your mother would be even more proud of you walking Camino de Invierno. And I'm also sure you'll find some special places to sit down, enjoy the solitude and remember her.

Ultreia!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Laurie.

Hi, Charrito,
Like K1, I send condolences to you on the death of your mom. I can think of no more comforting or appropriate way to grieve the loss of a loved one than walking in her memory. My son and I have made a "pact" that we will do the same, whoever the survivor. I am sure you will have many opportunities to relive your memories of your mom, and to do what i'm sure she would want you to do, which is to carry on and remember that life is for the living. I hope your Camino de Invierno brings you much peace. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Charrito,
Like K1, I send condolences to you on the death of your mom. I can think of no more comforting or appropriate way to grieve the loss of a loved one than walking in her memory. My son and I have made a "pact" that we will do the same, whoever the survivor. I am sure you will have many opportunities to relive your memories of your mom, and to do what i'm sure she would want you to do, which is to carry on and remember that life is for the living. I hope your Camino de Invierno brings you much peace. Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks, Laurie. She'll be in mind every step of the way!

My condolences, Charrito.
I'm sure your mother would be even more proud of you walking Camino de Invierno. And I'm also sure you'll find some special places to sit down, enjoy the solitude and remember her.

Ultreia!
I'll definitely be doing that. Thanks for your kind words!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola, Charrito!

Ultreia!
Please could re-rad my post I said that there are no accommodation right on the Camino, in this section. You post confirms that. My Casa Rural is located a few km away from the route just like Torre Vilarino you have written about. I would also like to add that that the accommodation in Castrotane is illegal and operating as an unregistered accommodation (B&B) business. It is unfair to use unregistered accommodation, as those of us who are registered have to keep up with the latest laws. This laws are made for you, the travellers, safety they cover everything from provision of food right, though to fire equipment and onto having sufficient insurances. To meet these standards we have to live up to various inspections and train ourselves/staff.

Please could re-rad my post I said that there are no accommodation right on the Camino, in this section. You post confirms that. My Casa Rural is located a few km away from the route just like Torre Vilarino you have written about. I would also like to add that that the accommodation in Castrotane is illegal and operating as an unregistered accommodation (B&B) business. It is unfair to use unregistered accommodation, as those of us who are registered have to keep up with the latest laws. This laws are made for you, the travellers, safety they cover everything from provision of food right, though to fire equipment and onto having sufficient insurances. To meet these standards we have to live up to various inspections and train ourselves/staff.
Hola, Ribeirasacra,

I don't know what the (il)legal status of Castrotane is and quite frankly I don't mind after kms & kms walked. I had a very nice time there and that's all that matters to me. But I do know that it IS right on the Camino and as I remember that was the question to which I responded. Also Torre Vilarino is merely 400mts away from Camino and not kilometers as you posted ;) I know because I saw it!!! I don't want to get you out of business with those few pilgrims walking Invierno. I doubt I can. At least I'm sure Laurie & Rebekah made pretty good "advertising" for your place. Maybe I would stay at your premises but (un)fortunatelly I'm on budget all of my life...

Regards!

RE What other pilgrims have said; I think you are assuming too much.
I ask you would you get into an unregistered taxi or bus? I doubt it, so why stay at some sort of accommodation which is also not registered? The laws are here to protect you, the consumer. But hey you want to take the risk that is ok. But please do not advise others to do take the same risks, is what I am asking. It is not fair to the other pilgrims who do the route.
Illegal accommodation is just that you may be happy until you fall down some stairs or get an upset stomach. It is you that has to pay for that in then.
I will stick to my point there is no accommodation located right on this Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Charrito,

Buen camino, Laurie
I second your comments about Casa Santo Estevo. Stayed last year with my son. A real treat. And one of the most distinctive sellos on the Camino.

image.jpg Watching my host practise his bullfighting skills at Santo Estevo ..... Just kidding.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm still not 100% sure what to do with this stage. If everything goes according to plan I should be in A Pobra do Brollón for the night of Thursday June 4. The day after, Friday June 5, I was thinking of having a short stage (just around 12 to 14 kilometres) and spending the afternoon and night in Monforte de Lemos, before attempting to walk the whole way from Monforte to Chantada (anywhere between 35 and 40 kilometres, depending on who you believe!), but that really does seem a long long way.

The alternatives I have: carry on from Monforte and spend Friday night in el Rectoral de Castillon, Torre Vilarino, Casa Santo Estevo, or even the 'illegal' place in Castrotañe, before continuing down to Belesar and up to Chantada on the Saturday morning. I could also make a detour at the crossroads and head north to Escairón (Hotel O Ruso) instead of south to Torre Vilarino.

I'll put it to the vote! I would be extremely interested in your thoughts and opinions!

Actually, Charrito, I didn't want to get involved in the dispute over Castrotane, and I don't know much about legal restrictions in Spain, but I think that if you run the place as an albergue donativo, there is no requirement for official licenses, etc. I think maybe the issue is whether this place is both -- a "for pay" rental place with a few donativo places on the side. But I am not trying to stir the pot on this one.

Putting aside those issues, Castrotane may be too short a stage if you leave from Monforte. Kinky stayed there, but I don't think he stopped in Monforte. It's about 11, I think. But I guess that would leave you a do-able day from Castrotane to Chantada. If I were you, I would just pick the place that strikes your fancy and where you can get transportation if you need it. Do you have exact info on the distances from the Camino? I remember reading somewhere that Rectoral's restaurant has won a michelin star, so if you're a foodie that would be a draw. I've talked many times about my wonderful stay in Santo Estevo. If you want to walk, I think that whichever one is close to the crossroads that has been photographed on the forum would probably be the closest, and that's Torre Vilarino (Kinky reported it as 400 m away from the Camino).

Let us know what you decide. I think spontaneity on this decision might be a problem in high season, since these places are all geared to tourism, which hopefully is rebounding this year in Galicia. Buen camino, Laurie

Actually, Charrito, I didn't want to get involved in the dispute over Castrotane, and I don't know much about legal restrictions in Spain, but I think that if you run the place as an albergue donativo, there is no requirement for official licenses, etc. I think maybe the issue is whether this place is both -- a "for pay" rental place with a few donativo places on the side. But I am not trying to stir the pot on this one.

Putting aside those issues, Castrotane may be too short a stage if you leave from Monforte. Kinky stayed there, but I don't think he stopped in Monforte. It's about 11, I think. But I guess that would leave you a do-able day from Castrotane to Chantada. If I were you, I would just pick the place that strikes your fancy and where you can get transportation if you need it. Do you have exact info on the distances from the Camino? I remember reading somewhere that Rectoral's restaurant has won a michelin star, so if you're a foodie that would be a draw. I've talked many times about my wonderful stay in Santo Estevo. If you want to walk, I think that whichever one is close to the crossroads that has been photographed on the forum would probably be the closest, and that's Torre Vilarino (Kinky reported it as 400 m away from the Camino).

Let us know what you decide. I think spontaneity on this decision might be a problem in high season, since these places are all geared to tourism, which hopefully is rebounding this year in Galicia. Buen camino, Laurie

I think you're spot on with 'spontaneity', Laurie! However, I am really torn between sensible distances and beautiful places to spend the night. Money is not a problem, but I don't really think that 50 or 60 euros for a night in el Rectoral, with a blow-out evening meal, is what I really want. Torre Vilarino looks good, but it's not cheap either. I'll play it by ear, see how I feel on Thursday evening in A Pobra do Brollón (cheap pensión there, definitely) and then phone ahead for somewhere on the Friday.

I am a real 'foodie', and I well remember a great meal in Monforte some years ago in O Grelo, up on the hill near the Parador.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Putting aside those issues, Castrotane may be too short a stage if you leave from Monforte. Kinky stayed there, but I don't think he stopped in Monforte. It's about 11, I think. But I guess that would leave you a do-able day from Castrotane to Chantada.
That's exactly the reason why I have stayed in Castrotane, it makes both stages between A Pobra and Chantada very doable and kind of equal although the second one from Castrotane to Chantada is tougher because of Belesar (first down and then up).
And note that stay at Castrotane isn't free or donativo. But surely it wasn't expensive to break the long stage ;)

If you want to walk, I think that whichever one is close to the crossroads that has been photographed on the forum would probably be the closest, and that's Torre Vilarino (Kinky reported it as 400 m away from the Camino).
400m is on a sign but I remember I actually saw the building from that crossroads. It looked deserted but OTOH it was in the morning and very much possible wasn't opened for the day yet.

@Charrito whichever way you'll decide there are at least three options:
- Castrotane: almost in the middle between A Pobra and Chantada but with no service (although if asked in advance Penelope can buy you food/drink and there's a kitchen to use), might be the less expensive option,
- Torre Vilarino: a bit further (7km) which makes next day shorter and you have pretty good restaurant in the house, don't know about prices,
- Santo Estevo: even further but as I believe owners can pick you up, recommendations from Laurie, good food and wine and quite short day into Chantada.

Anyway if you intend to stay at Hostal As Vinas in A Pobra please do say hello to the the owner for me (just mention un peregrino Esloveno and I'm sure he'll remember). Thanks!

Ultreia!

That's exactly the reason why I have stayed in Castrotane, it makes both stages between A Pobra and Chantada very doable and kind of equal although the second one from Castrotane to Chantada is tougher because of Belesar (first down and then up).
And note that stay at Castrotane isn't free or donativo. But surely it wasn't expensive to break the long stage ;)

400m is on a sign but I remember I actually saw the building from that crossroads. It looked deserted but OTOH it was in the morning and very much possible wasn't opened for the day yet.

- Castrotane: almost in the middle between A Pobra and Chantada but with no service (although if asked in advance Penelope can buy you food/drink and there's a kitchen to use), might be the less expensive option,
- Torre Vilarino: a bit further (7km) which makes next day shorter and you have pretty good restaurant in the house, don't know about prices,
- Santo Estevo: even further but as I believe owners can pick you up, recommendations from Laurie, good food and wine and quite short day into Chantada.

Anyway if you intend to stay at Hostal As Vinas in A Pobra please do say hello to the the owner for me (just mention un peregrino Esloveno and I'm sure he'll remember). Thanks!

Ultreia!

If I stay in Torre Vilarino I suppose that I'd better book in advance, given that it will be a Friday,

I will be sure to mention you EVERYWHERE I stay!!!!!!!!!!!

If I stay in Torre Vilarino I suppose that I'd better book in advance, given that it will be a Friday,

I will be sure to mention you EVERYWHERE I stay!!!!!!!!!!!
Hahahaha, no need to mention me everywhere :p Just A Rua (Asun) & A Pobra would do ;)

Did you set your stages otherwise?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Casa Rurals may or may not be booked up. It is always my advice you to phone at least a day before you are due so you can plan the following day.
Here are the websites for all three casa rurals for contact numbers and correct prices.
Torre Vilariño
Rectoral de Castillon
and Casa Santo Estevo is given in my signature.
Ypu can make up your own mind on VFM and location near the time.
The Rectoral is unfortunately Michelin listed all of the Michelin stars in Galicia are shining in along the coast of Galicia: Link in Spanish. Not even the excellent O Grelo has received any thing from Mr Michelin.

I never stayed at Castrotane, nor have I stayed with Riberirosacra, much less "advertised" for him!
I did, however, stay at the very fine Torre Vilarino complex in Escairon, and was very pleased with everything.

Hahahaha, no need to mention me everywhere :p Just A Rua (Asun) & A Pobra would do ;)

Did you set your stages otherwise?

KinkyOne, I will be taking a large photo of you with me with a caption saying "Do You Know This Man?", to show it in every place I stop!

Seriously, my plan at the moment is for 12 days:

Ponferrada - Las Médulas/Puente de Domingo Flórez
Las Médulas/Puente de Domingo Flórez - O Barco
O Barco - A Rua
A Rua - Quiroga
Quiroga - A Pobra do Brollón
A Pobra do Brollón - Somewhere after Monforte de Lemos
Somewhere after Monforte de Lemos - Chantada
Chantada - Rodeiro
Rodeiro - Lalín
Lalín - Silleda
Silleda - Ponte Ulla
Ponte Ulla - Santiago

I might then go on to Fisterra, but we'll see.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I never stayed at Castrotane, nor have I stayed with Riberirosacra, much less "advertised" for him!
I did, however, stay at the very fine Torre Vilarino complex in Escairon, and was very pleased with everything.

Thanks for the positive feedback on Torre Vilarino, Rebekah.

Casa Rurals may or may not be booked up. It is always my advice you to phone at least a day before you are due so you can plan the following day.
Here are the websites for all three casa rurals for contact numbers and correct prices.
Torre Vilariño
Rectoral de Castillon
and Casa Santo Estevo is given in my signature.
Ypu can make up your own mind on VFM and location near the time.
The Rectoral is unfortunately Michelin listed all of the Michelin stars in Galicia are shining in along the coast of Galicia: Link in Spanish. Not even the excellent O Grelo has received any thing from Mr Michelin.

Thanks for the info.

Precisely why I said
RE What other pilgrims have said; I think you are assuming too much.

There is more than enough accommodation on this Camino with styles and prices to suit everyone. Read the excellent guide written by Rebekah/peregrina2000. The website in my signature linking back to the association will also help.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have also stayed at the Rectoral, back in 2010 when I started writing the first guide and waymarks were scarce. The duena came and picked us up along the path, (we were lost) and put us back down there the following morning. We were the only guests, and really enjoyed wandering around the gardens and hallways of this magnificent old pazo. It's been several years, but I think we were pleasantly surprised at the final price for bed and board.

Hola, Rebekah!

I wouldn't really respond to your post if it wasn't for @Ribeirasacra response. Advertising? Did I advertised Castrotane? Did you advertised Torre Vilarino & Rectoral? Did @peregrina2000 advertised Casa Santo Estevo? Yes? No?

I don't get this conversation anymore...

I was only asking for opinions when I opened this thread some time ago. In order not to offend anyone and/or their preferences, it looks now as though I'll have to make a slight detour and stay in the Hotel O Ruso in Escairón. I don't think anyone has stopped there before, and it looks like all you have to do is turn right instead of left when you get to the crossroads in A Barxa.

Walk back down from Escairón the following morning and carry on towards Diomondi, Belesar and Chantada.

Simples!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was only asking for opinions when I opened this thread some time ago. In order not to offend anyone and/or their preferences, it looks now as though I'll have to make a slight detour and stay in the Hotel O Ruso in Escairón. I don't think anyone has stopped there before, and it looks like all you have to do is turn right instead of left when you get to the crossroads in A Barxa.

Walk back down from Escairón the following morning and carry on towards Diomondi, Belesar and Chantada.

Simples!
Exactly what I was trying to post - an opinion. Which is based on my own experience. If my experience would be sleeping in a barn I would post about that also :D
Detour to Escairon will add 3kms in one direction compared to Torre Vilarino...

Ultreia!

Exactly what I was trying to post - an opinion. Which is based on my own experience. If my experience would be sleeping in a barn I would post about that also :D
Detour to Escairon will add 3kms in one direction compared to Torre Vilarino...

Ultreia!

Good Morning, Kinkyone! I appreciate that it's around another 3 kms up to Escairón, but I could always get a taxi back down to the crossroads the following morning. By my calculations, it's then about another 7 or 8 kms to Diomondi, 2 or 3 more down to Belesar, and then 7 or 8 kms up to Chantada. Sounds pretty doable to me.

I'm now pretty clear about all this. My plan is to leave A Pobra do Brollón on the Friday morning, stop off for a time (pinchos or lunch) in Monforte de Lemos and carry on to KinkyOne's crossroads (the one in his photo with about 20 different signs!) in A Barxa. I will then turn right, off the Camino, walk up to Escairón (about 3 kms) and stay the night in the Hotel O Ruso.

The following morning, instead of walking back down to the crossroads, I will take the LU 617 out of Escairón, turn left at the big cheese factory (Celega) after 3.9 kms and continue down the LU - P 5806 (another 4 kms) to rejoin the camino at Montecelo, just before Diamondi and the church.

From Diamondi it's straight down to Belesar and then all the way up the other side to Chantada.

Doing it this way is fairly economical (Pensión As Viñas en A Pobra, Hotel O Ruso en Escairón), and it splits the stages from A Pobra do Brollón to Monforte and on to Chantada very nicely. There are a just a few kilometres which are a bit off the camino, but it seems to make sense to me.

Once I've done this, I'll let you all know whether it's a viable alternative for those who either don't wish to fork out loads of money for expensive casas rurales or who don't want to walk incredibly long stages.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sounds very reasonable. Even if you'd return to the A Barxa crossroads Camino from there to Diomondi is on tarmac so it's the same either way ;)

Hola, Rebekah!

I wouldn't really respond to your post if it wasn't for @Ribeirasacra response. Advertising? Did I advertised Castrotane? Did you advertised Torre Vilarino & Rectoral? Did @peregrina2000 advertised Casa Santo Estevo? Yes? No?

I don't get this conversation anymore...

I feel something has has got lost in this conversation.
Lets be clear. I never used the word advertised (or such related words) you did.
What I did say
Castrotane is illegal and operating as an unregistered accommodation (B&B) business
I feel that the above quote is fair that this is written here so that other pilgrims are kept informed as to who is registered and regulated accommodation and who is not. It is for the pilgrim(s) to make their own mind up if they care to risk staying in a property that does not comply with any regulation (s) be it for a b&b or on a whole let basis.

I feel something has has got lost in this conversation.
Lets be clear. I never used the word advertised (or such related words) you did.
What I did say .
I feel that the above quote is fair that this is written here so that other pilgrims are kept informed as to who is registered and regulated accommodation and who is not. It is for the pilgrim(s) to make their own mind up if they care to risk staying in a property that does not comply with any regulation (s) be it for a b&b or on a whole let basis.
Yes, I agree. It's very obvious that lots has been lost in translation but don't want to discuss about that with you any further.
Have a nice evening!

K1

€83,-

Ultreia!

Hi, K1, I´m just going through all of these notes to gather information for the update of the guide, and I thought I would clear up something. The building you see from the Escairón crossroads, which wins the prize for most signs at any crossroads on any Camino I have ever walked, is not the Torre Vilariño. It is the museum, I think, but it was closed tight the whole time we were there. Prices at Torre Vilariño are 20 € for pilgrims. Meals are slightly more expensive than the normal pilgrim meal, I think maybe 13 or 14 but my memory is not precise on that point. (And please note, the pictures below only show the signs on one side of the intersection, the other side has another batch!)

Escairon.jpg Escairon1.jpg

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back