• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Monks at Rabanal

Yallah

Camino Guidebooks (Village to Village)
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Finisterre, Portugués, Norte, Primitivo, Inglés
Hi friends,

I've been reading about the Benedictine monks at Rabanal and came across their website: http://en.monteirago.org It appears that they have an albergue, or at least are open to hosting pilgrims in the monastery. However, I've never seen them listed in any guidebooks.

Has anyone ever stayed with them? I'd be very interested to hear about your experience. I'm looking forward to visiting the monastery as it sounds quite intriguing. I did read about the controversy a few years ago where the monks were temporarily run out of town. Anyone know how their relationship is with the local community these days?

Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I stayed in Rabanal twice last year and attended the mass both times. Everything was sorted out, misunderstandings settled and it seems all is quiet and happy on the front!
Not sure about them having an albergue? There are at least 4 albergues in Rabanal.

Rabanal does indeed have 4 albergues, the English Confraternity has one -Gaucelmo and it is oh so very English-located next to the church where the monks sing and yes two years ago they had returned and their efforts were amazing. Next to the church is what appears to be a guest house and if I remember correctly it was set aside for visiting clergy, especially those from Austria. Down on the main road is another alberue very different in character -N.S. Pilar-very lively with a bar and bar food, the municipal albergue is an option only if there is no other port in the storm, El Tesin is another lively place to spend the night much favored by those on bikes.
אם את/ה יכול לקרוא כאן תכתוב/י גם לי אני ירושלמי
S.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Like Sil I,too, attended a service in the Rabanal del Camino parish church conducted by monks from the adjacent monastery late last November. Imagine my surprise when entering the small Romanesque sanctuary for evening Vespers to be greeted by cozy heat as well as the gracious Abbot who smiled as he directly asked "Do you speak English?". When I nodded he then handed me a selection on St Elisabeth and love to read aloud during the service. After briefly scanning the passage I went "live" in front of the assembled other pilgrims and parish members. After the service we all filed out into the frosty star-lit night.

...Early next morning cold fog swirled white and dense throughout the village. The local bread delivery truck was parked where the camino continues westward. Dressed in "civies" the Abbot was buying two huge loaves for his monastery. As we nodded to each other I thanked him for the past evening's service; he kindly wished me a spiritual Buen Camino and then disappeared into the enveloping white.

Margaret

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
As for the OP´s question:
The Benedictines at Rabanal have a guest house, and pilgrims can stay there if they are making a spiritual retreat. It requires a stay of at least two or three days, and I think you may have to finish the camino first.

Reb.

I stayed at the Confraternity albergue. I thought it was lovely and I especially enjoyed tea time! And if I rememebr correctly it was a donativo. I walked over the the other two big albergues and was happy I was were I was. It was quiet and peaceful.

Margaret - I, too, attended the evening Vespers with Gregorian chanting and was "chosen" to do the reading in English. It was a nice service.

The next morning was chilly (I actually wore gloves) and offered a lovely morning climb to Cruz de Ferro. - M :arrow:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Rebekah Scott said:
As for the OP´s question:
The Benedictines at Rabanal have a guest house, and pilgrims can stay there if they are making a spiritual retreat. It requires a stay of at least two or three days, and I think you may have to finish the camino first. Reb.

Reb is correct. Retreats should be arranged in advance with the Guestmaster. Not all who apply are accepted. The retreats are on a donativo basis.

Thanks for all the replies!

The monks' website mentions the guesthouse, I was just curious if anyone had any first-hand experience with staying there. The website says:

"[The guesthouse] consists of four cells completely equiped with ensuite (sink, toilet and shower), basic furnishings, but comofortable for relaxing, reading and working. Men and women are both welcome. The only condition required is to respect the atmosphere of silence in the monastery, its order and tranquility of the guests and monks. We ask you not to smoke. Whoever wishes to take part in spiritual exercises should advise us in advance so that it can be organized.

Our guests have the freedom to organize the length of their stay. They have a key to the monastery with which they can come in and out. The only thing we ask is that you respect the monastery´s closing time after Compline, mealtimes.

They can attend all liturgical celebrations which take place in the church. And once more, they eat together with the monks in the refectory, a place where silence is requested."

Sounds like a neat communitiy.

And...you can do the same with the Franciscans here in Santiago. They have an albergue/guesthouse for pilgrims seeking a few days retreat at the end of their pilgrimage. I understand this is not available in winter when they provide the accommodation for homeless people.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I stayed in Pilar's, which is great, but I visited the monastery's alburgue because they have very nice grounds. As expected the mood is more monastic than Pilar's!

I stayed with the monks in Rabinal. I had planned to walk on through Rabinal but then I happened to discover the monastery church. The church was empty but I noticed that the monks had the Latin books from Solemnes for the Offices. Who else sings the Offices in Latin along the Camino these days! When I left the church I was about to head on out of the village but then I thought "hey, what's the point of walking the Camino if I am not open to stopping to experience places like this?" So I rang the monastic door bell and asked if I could stay a couple of days for prayer/retreat. The guesthouse has a large room (small by auberge standards) with several bunk beds. I had the impression that the monks like to keep the place uncrowded so that people do have time and space for quiet reflection. It's a lovely place to stop for a mini retreat along the Camino.

The Bendictine Monks in Santo Domingo de Silos sing the Office daily in Latin,but in recent years they sing some of it in Spanish in order for it to be more easily understood by the many Spanish people who come to hear them. Santo Domingo de Silos is about 65 Klm from Burgos. There is just one bus per day. a workers bus leaving Burgos at 5.30 pm. Monday to Thursday and 6.30 pm. Friday. The return bus leaves Silos at 8.00 am. approx. They leave little booklets with the Office at the back of the Church for all to use. Twice whilst doing the Camino I have stayed there for a few days

Unfortunately due to a slight injury to my toe last May on the descent to Roncesvalles I was not able to continue the Camino, I had hoped to return this Sept. to continue but the back kept giving me trouble so instead my husband John and myself went on holiday to Bilbao, Santo Domingo de Silos and Burgos. On Friday the day before yesterday, we sat in the Plaza de Alonso Martinez watching the pilgrims passing through. Even though we had had a most wonderful holiday, how I wished that I was well enough to be one of those pilgrims with a rucksack on my back trudging into Burgos after several hours on the road!! Some people are never happy !!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back