• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mont-bell jacket

jo webber

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 9th 2017
Ok, I got the Mont-bell jacket to save weight. This jacket is 6oz lighter than my other one.
The jacket does fit inside the tiny pocket!!!! I was surprised.
The jacket isn't wind proof. Just waving my arms and I could feel the air flow. In front of a fan, no stopping the breeze at all.
The jacket isn't water repellant, or at least not much.

If I have to pack a fleece, there is no weight savings.
Or am I missing something??? Please help. I like the size and weight, would love to figure out how it "works".

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I packed an extremely lightweight goretex shell from North Face. With that, I take along a long sleeve silk shirt and a silk balaclava. These items combined barely weigh 10 ounces. Throw a t-shirt or two on underneath, and I am comfortable down to 40 degrees F.

To wear under my jacket I have along sleeve light weight t-shirt and a short sleeve med weight t-shirt. I think the wind is still going to get through all the layers. Will have to test it out.

We will be walking in Sept and Oct. I'm a slow walker, so it could take 50 days. This means walking until almost the end of Oct. I do plan on buying warmer items as we walk, just don't want to be 3 days away from a large store when it turns cold.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I got the Mont-bell jacket to save weight.
What function did you get it for? If it isn't waterproof, doesn't provide insulation and doesn't stop the wind, then it doesn't "save" any weight! It just adds weight! If you are considering a fleece, it should be a lightweight one. Do you have other rain gear?

What function did you get it for? If it isn't waterproof, doesn't provide insulation and doesn't stop the wind, then it doesn't "save" any weight! It just adds weight! If you are considering a fleece, it should be a lightweight one. Do you have other rain gear?
Well .... my understanding was it is windproof (all but the heaviest winds) and could keep you warm. It doesn't seem to do either just around the house. I can't test it outside as it is about 85F with no breeze. I will need to wait to test when we go to the mountains in about a month.

I have a rain poncho to go over myself and my pack.

Seems to me that a jacket like that is not a substitute for fleece. Even if it does stop the wind somewhat, you will need to wear insulation underneath if the temperatures are chilly. A t-shirt and a long-sleeved t-shirt may be enough underneath that jacket, most of the time while you are walking. Do you have other layers for sleeping and evening wear, that could be added if you get unexpectedly cold weather. In the evenings when your body is tired, you will feel the chill more so you need something for warmth.

You should not be thinking of buying "warmer" clothes. Rather you should have a number of thin layers that can be combined. You might need them at any location along the Camino. The windiest weather (and freezing) that I encountered was in October on the Napoleon route going to Roncesvalles. 

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks C clearly.

I have
2 long sleeve T-shirts (fast dry, base layer)
1 short sleeve T-shirt (fast dry, mid layer)
1 jacket (either the new or old one)

1 caftan for sleeping that I could wear as well.
1 rain poncho I could wear over it all if it is really a freezing wind.

Other items for cold:
buff
beeny hat that can go over my ears.
gloves
warm leggings (can wear under pants)
warm socks
water proof socks (which may cook my feet LOL)

I think handling the cold is one thing, really cold wind is something else. As a desert dweller, my fear of the cold may be a bit irrational. 50F is very cold here, anything lower and it is "you have got to be kidding cold". I do warm up nicely when I am walking.

I have worn the Montbell wind shell over a lightweight fleece and felt that it cut down the wind quite a bit. It is not designed to be a warmth or waterproof layer by itself. I think that the air that it traps between itself and your first layer provides insulation.

Try wearing it over a long sleeve shirt and do something more exerting than standing in front of a fan :) and see if it warms you up.

Last edited:
weight is important but if the jacket does t do what you bought if for i.e. keep rain out or wind out what's the point? I'd rather carry a little more weight and be dry and warm than carry something that is not functional but that's me!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks C clearly.

I have
2 long sleeve T-shirts (fast dry, base layer)
1 short sleeve T-shirt (fast dry, mid layer)
1 jacket (either the new or old one)

1 caftan for sleeping that I could wear as well.
1 rain poncho I could wear over it all if it is really a freezing wind.

Other items for cold:
buff
beeny hat that can go over my ears.
gloves
warm leggings (can wear under pants)
warm socks
water proof socks (which may cook my feet LOL)

I think handling the cold is one thing, really cold wind is something else. As a desert dweller, my fear of the cold may be a bit irrational. 50F is very cold here, anything lower and it is "you have got to be kidding cold". I do warm up nicely when I am walking.
That seems like enough clothes, but I still don't see a warm and cosy top for the evenings. I would trade one long sleeved t-shirt for a down vest, light fleece, or merino long sleeve. Buff and gloves are good.

Last edited:
Well .... my understanding was it is windproof (all but the heaviest winds) and could keep you warm. It doesn't seem to do either just around the house. I can't test it outside as it is about 85F with no breeze. I will need to wait to test when we go to the mountains in about a month.

I have a rain poncho to go over myself and my pack.

The jacket is meant to be used as a windshell. It is not meant to be an insulating layer, but to extend the effectiveness of your insulating layer. It will allow some airflow in order to increase breathability so that perspiration doesn't soak your insulating layer.

For effective layering when the weather turns cooler, using a three layer system allows extreme flexibility to regulate how warm or cool you become while you are active or resting. The idea is to add or shed layers as you heat up and cool down during activity and rest. One wants to control soaking their insulating layer so that you don't get chilled while resting or ceasing activity.

1. Skin layer. Usually a medium or lighter weight shirt or thermal top that is made of either a synthetic or natural fiber wicking material. I prefer merino wool, others prefer synthetics. Both do a good job, but merino wool doesn't develop the stink that synthetics can and thus can afford skipping a daily washing routine.

2. Insulating layer. Depending on the expected weather conditions, this can be a lighter or a heavier fleece, a puff jacket, or a synthetic jacket rated for the expected conditions. This insulating layer should have the ability to "breath" well.

3. Windshell. That's what the Montbell jacket is. I use a Patagonia Houdini, which is the same basic principal. It is a seemingly contradictory thing that this layer would be somewhat air permeable and yet effective at being a wind blocker. However, it will effectively increase the temperature range and comfort of your insulating layer.

When you walk, you can combine any of the layers to keep warmer or cooler. The skin layer can be used by itself as a shirt. If things get a bit chillier, then you can add just the Montbell. If it is really chilly, use the skin layer with just the insulating layer. And if it is really chilly, use all three layers. As you walk and are exerting yourself and are getting warmer, remove layers to reduce the amount of sweating that can soak your insulation.

I have worn the Montbell wind shell over a lightweight fleece and felt that it cut down the wind quite a bit. It is not designed to be a warmth or waterproof layer by itself. I think that the air that it traps between itself and your first layer provides insulation.

Try wearing it over a long sleeve shirt and do something more exerting than standing in front of a fan :) and see if it warms you up.

I agree, I wear one or two layers underneath depending on how cold it is. While walking, the heat you create stays close to your body and keeps you warm and blocks the wind. It is water resistant - gives you enough time to pull out your poncho/jacket in rain so your base layers don't get wet or you get out of the rain (if that is an option).

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Wore the jacket this morning. Left the house at 4:45am at 59F. Long sleeve T with the jacket over it - worked well. I do like the underarm vents. Stopped for a pastry, took the jacket off. Got home at 7am at 73F. It will hit close to 100F today.

I am trading out one long sleeve T for the fleece. :)

Thanks to everyone who helped me figure this out.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wore the jacket this morning. Left the house at 4:45am at 59F. Long sleeve T with the jacket over it - worked well. I do like the underarm vents. Stopped for a pastry, took the jacket off. Got home at 7am at 73F. It will hit close to 100F today.

I am trading out one long sleeve T for the fleece. :)

Thanks to everyone who helped me figure this out.
Just curious - are you in Tucson? I am also heading to SJPP in September.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.