• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mont bell sleeping sheets

What do you think about the Mont bell ultralight sleeping sheet

• Don't worry about sleeping bag, a liner is sufficient

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Marina Millar

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2017
Hello all you inspiring pilgrims! My husband and I are walking the Portuguese route from Lisbon to Finisterre in April next year. I read somewhere a recommendation of the Mont Bell ultralight spiral sleeping sheet and wondered if anyone had used this before. I have walked some of the Frances Camino several years ago with a more 'regular' sleeping bag, and am trying to keep my pack weight down...I welcome your thoughts... We will be staying mainly in Alburge's... So excited!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
"Contrary to its name, it’s not a sheet and it doesn’t use the spiral system that Montbell’s heavier down bags use. It’s just a down filled rectangular sleeping bag, without a hood, that scrunches up incredibly small in a stuff sack."

Quote from a review of the "MontBell U.L. Spiral Down Hugger Thermal Sheet" by http://sectionhiker.com

"Contrary to its name, it’s not a sheet and it doesn’t use the spiral system that Montbell’s heavier down bags use. It’s just a down filled rectangular sleeping bag, without a hood, that scrunches up incredibly small in a stuff sack."

Quote from a review of the "MontBell U.L. Spiral Down Hugger Thermal Sheet" by http://sectionhiker.com
anks so much for that, it looks a bit like a sleeping bag when zipped up.

Thanks so much for your comment .. I hadn't seen one before, and in the pictures the bag looked like a regular sleeping bag when zipped up. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This is the one that I have used for the last three caminos - link

I love it. It has the spiral system that allows a bit of stretch. I almost always use it as a quilt with a silk liner. I walk in April/May and sometimes need to use an albergue blanket if it's a bit chilly.

An expensive, but worthwhile investment.

bed.jpg I love mine!!! I bring a Sea to Summit silk liner with the built in pillow case too.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
They are no longer available for sale.
I have been looking for one for a long time.
Please let me know if anyone know of one available.
(Talking about the Spiral Down Thermal Sheet Magwood linked)

I have not used the Montbell bag, but I had the Sea to Summit Traveller TR1, which is lightweight and zips all the way down so that you can use it like a quilt.

I am not a large person, but I did find it confining to use as a sleeping bag -- so I got a silk liner and used this bag as a quilt, basically. I walked in April/May, and it was fine.

Buen Camino!
Priscilla

I bought a MontBell bag before they were discontinued and used it on two caminos. I loved it. My husband found a similar one on eBay (shipped from Hong Kong) that I actually liked better because it doesn't constrict your legs and is a bit fluffier than mine. The quality is very good. Search for "ultralight" sleeping bags on eBay. Here is a link to the one my husband bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adult-Campi...hash=item3d1aa083b8:m:mepzaeAMwx6bwWckN1095Cg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I bought a MontBell bag before they were discontinued and used it on two caminos. I loved it. My husband found a similar one on eBay (shipped from Hong Kong) that I actually liked better because it doesn't constrict your legs and is a bit fluffier than mine. The quality is very good. Search for "ultralight" sleeping bags on eBay. Here is a link to the one my husband bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adult-Campi...hash=item3d1aa083b8:m:mepzaeAMwx6bwWckN1095Cg

I would, of course, rather find the Montbell quilt...but the one shown on ebay looks interesting and is certainly a lot cheaper.
Nancy...do you know the weight of the one your husband has? The big advantage of the Montbell product is the light weight.

@grayland I purchased mine from an English supplier. It is no longer on their website but I have written to ask if they know where I can get another one.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If the Montbell is hard to find or too expensive, I can recommend stalking the Alpkit site to strike when they get the next batch of Cloud Cover quilt. It has poppers, not a zip, weighs 460g and is great if you tend to leave it open anyway. I managed to get one and am very happy with it, in fact it is a lot warmer than I expected!
Linky here: Alpkit Cloud Cover

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Costco was selling these duvets last winter for under 30$. I bought a number of them, as throws for the house, presents and one for the Camino. Good thng I did because now Amazon sells these for 3 ti,es the price, if not a lot more!

https://www.amazon.com/s/?tag=casaivar02-20

If you see them at Costco again I would sugest jumping on them!

I added snap buttons and a draw string at the bottom in case I wanted to convert it into a sleeping back if it got particularly cold.

The problem I found with the quilt is that it kept falling off the bed during the night. Beds are narrow on the Camino and the material sleeping bags and this duvet is soft and slippery. Has anyone else had to cope with this?

I am thinking of oadding more push butons to create a very large sleeping bag by attaching a light bottom part to the duvet, serving as a liner at the same time and keeping the duvet in the bed, not on the floor. I am just having a hard time finding an ultra light, compact material to do this.

Costco was selling these duvets last winter for under 30$. I bought a number of them, as throws for the house, presents and one for the Camino. Good thng I did because now Amazon sells these for 3 ti,es the price, if not a lot more!

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_21?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=double+black+diamond+packable+down+throw&sprefix=double+black+diamond+,aps,551&tag=camiforu-20

If you see them at Costco again I would sugest jumping on them!

I added snap buttons and a draw string at the bottom in case I wanted to convert it into a sleeping back if it got particularly cold.

The problem I found with the quilt is that it kept falling off the bed during the night. Beds are narrow on the Camino and the material sleeping bags and this duvet is soft and slippery. Has anyone else had to cope with this?

I am thinking of oadding more push butons to create a very large sleeping bag by attaching a light bottom part to the duvet, serving as a liner at the same time and keeping the duvet in the bed, not on the floor. I am just having a hard time finding an ultra light, compact material to do this.

I also bought a couple from Costco. The were excellent except for the slippery surface. I used one earlier this year on a winter Camino along with a silk sleep sac.

Just not satisfactory as it slid off constantly. I never was able to work out a good way to keep it on while sleeping.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I also bought a couple from Costco. The were excellent except for the slippery surface. I used one earlier this year on a winter Camino along with a silk sleep sac.

Just not satisfactory as it slid off constantly. I never was able to work out a good way to keep it on while sleeping.
Could you add snaps with one side on the silk liner bag and the other to the down quilt?

I missed those at Costco last year and am really hoping that they have them again this year.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.