• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Montamarta accommodations?

MileHighPair

Time of past OR future Camino
Many, many Caminos, mostly past maybe some future.
A post on the APOC Facebook page from folks currently walking the VdlP indicates there are no housing options open for business in Montamarta. It is over 40 Km from Zamora to Granja de Moreruela, which is more than we can do. Is there anyone who can provide alternatives for this stretch? We know we could get a taxi out of Zamora, but we are hoping to find a way to avoid that option!
Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Gronze has a list of places after Montamarta that might work.

http://www.gronze.com/etapa/montamarta/granja-moreruela

Are you on the Camino now? There are several casas rurales in Montamarta, I've stayed in the Casa del Sastre and there are also apparently a few more:

http://www.gronze.com/etapa/zamora/montamarta

But I would be surprised to hear that the albergue is closed, is that what they are saying? The Montamarta albergue has been refurbished and is reported to be in much better shape than it was years ago.

We will be starting in Merida soon, so it will still be a while before we get to Montamarta. They definitely said that the Municiple was closed when they were there a couple of days ago. The Forum Spreadsheet for the VdlP says the Municiple there is closed Nov - Feb, so maybe they are just opening later this spring? Thanks for the info.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A post on the APOC Facebook page from folks currently walking the VdlP indicates there are no housing options open for business in Montamarta. It is over 40 Km from Zamora to Granja de Moreruela, which is more than we can do. Is there anyone who can provide alternatives for this stretch? We know we could get a taxi out of Zamora, but we are hoping to find a way to avoid that option!
Thanks!
In October 2012 I stayed at Casa Rural El Brunedo........there were 2 rooms available , plus a very nice bathroom. This place is on the main road, as I walked in to Montamarta......I think it is the N 630. At the time it was 20E for a single, plus 3E for laundry. There was also a small sitting room, plus tea and coffee facilities. Of course, things could have changed since I walked through Montamarta.
Buen Camino. Sandra

Also ask at the "disco" bar/restaurant on the main road down from the Albergue. Twice I have been taken to house nearby to stay. Given the keys and had the whole house to myself.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just checked my notes I stayed in Montamarta on the 24 Feb in El Tro Bartalo 20 euro for a private with breakfast(you get the key in local supermarket, they also seem to own the restaurant where they recommend you to eat, the place where you leave the town on the main road is probably better). The new municipal Albergue is closed.There is no problem with reasonable priced places.

Thank you all for the great suggestions. We know that "the Camino will provide" and will walk with confidence and peace. Even with that confidence, out limited walking range is always in the back of our mind as we approach the VdlP. So we will continue to walk in faith and do a bit of planning. This forum is part of the confidence we have, seeing all the different ways the food and shelter is always available!

Thank you all for the great suggestions. We know that "the Camino will provide" and will walk with confidence and peace. Even with that confidence, out limited walking range is always in the back of our mind as we approach the VdlP. So we will continue to walk in faith and do a bit of planning. This forum is part of the confidence we have, seeing all the different ways the food and shelter is always available!
One piece of extra advice re:this stretch there are A NUMBER OF DAYS WITHOUT A BANK MACHINE, I ran into a problem, so for a few days have some extra cash (safely in money belt) Dermot

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just checked my notes I stayed in Montamarta on the 24 Feb in El Tro Bartalo 20 euro for a private with breakfast there are a number of similar alternatives all similar price and probably better. The new municipal Albergue is closed.There is no problem with reasonable priced places.

Hi, nalod, do you know why they closed the municipal albergue?

I stayed at the municipal last May. It was left unlocked and the hospitalero visited later in the afternoon to register and take payment.

Hi, nalod, do you know why they closed the municipal albergue?
I went to it because someone told me it was open. It has a notice on it to say it is closed since I think Nov or Dec. I could not find a reason for its closure.

I have spoken to another pilgrim that walked the route a few days before me and he found El Tro Bartolo fairly aggressive in their "marketing techniques" picking him up on the road and driving him to their accom. Also I asked them about a restaurant I wanted to eat in, they told me it was closed but recommended another that they seem to own. Following morning I passed by the"closed restaurant" it was open.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I would not normally put photographs into a post like this but this I think fits in. It was taken before sunrise, with a full moon leaving Montamarta.

DSC_8776 (1280x857) (800x536).jpg

The municipal albergue in Montamarta is closed 'until summer' Camino rumour has it that it is to give more income opportunities to private accommodation. If you think about the current economical situation in Spain and the very limited income opportunities in many regions the Via de la Plata crosses that is understandable. For those interested, I am posting nearly live updates here https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...es-via-de-la-plata-february-abril-2016.38377/ on the forum. Hope it helps and Buen Camino! SY

Forgot to add, new Plata updates will be posted soon that include the Montamrata stage ;-) Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,
Thanks!

Hi,

I stayed in Montamarta 3 days ago and the Albergue there is open.

Gerald

Hi Gerald! Where are you now? SY
Hi

I'm in Bandeira now, slept in Silleda last night. Tomorrow Santiago!

I'll post more info when I get my laptop, it's difficult to use this site on my mobile.

Gerald

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am here until Monday morning, perhaps we see each other! SY

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back