• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Montane Trailblazer 44L

gidivet

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP to SdC - April - June 2014
Le Puy to Conques May 2016
Multiple CF sections since 2014
Hi Everyone

I would like to "lighten up". (my pack)
My Osprey Kestrel is around 1.5 kg.
I'm looking at the Montane Trailblazer 44L, which is 980g.
It should be good for up to 12 kg, so my base weight of around 8kg plus water sounds ok.
The harness is designed for fast and light type activities but in this size it is marketed as a crossover into hiking as well.
The straps are thin, to my eye similar to the Osprey Talon 44, which many people have used successfully.

Has anyone got this pack, and/or have you used it for long distance hiking like the Camino routes?

Gideon

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Everyone

I would like to "lighten up". (my pack)
My Osprey Kestrel is around 1.5 kg.
I'm looking at the Montane Trailblazer 44L, which is 980g.
It should be good for up to 12 kg, so my base weight of around 8kg plus water sounds ok.
The harness is designed for fast and light type activities but in this size it is marketed as a crossover into hiking as well.
The straps are thin, to my eye similar to the Osprey Talon 44, which many people have used successfully.

Has anyone got this pack, and/or have you used it for long distance hiking like the Camino routes?

Gideon

Looks good to me. I like the pockets on the shoulder straps.

I have the Montane Trailblazer 30, used it for the first time on the Corfu trail this summer replacing my 45l Exped lightning. I think the Trailblazer 30 has a different lid to the 44 but otherwise they are similar. Couple of comments:

• It’s nicely made but I am not sure how long the big mesh pocket will last. I can see it going in holes pretty quickly but being useable for a long time
  • The space is very useable so the bag seems very spacious
  • Liked the top pocket (30l only) and pockets on straps (good for phones)
  • I disliked the waist belt, unlike the Exped which has a lovely padded waist belt there’s not too much to the Trailblazer belt. It wasn’t uncomfortable as such but I think it would have been more comfortable if I had been a lot slimmer! You can switch between having it round your waist or round your hips and the 30l would be easy to trail run with.
  • I am usually pretty lazy with water, I used to pick up a 1.5l bottle and stick it in the side pocket of the Exped, job done. On the 30l you can’t do this unless the pack is pretty empty, the side pockets are too tight to the bag and not that stretchy. You can put squeezy 500ml water bottles in the chest straps (like a runner would) but you have to buy them. I think you could also put water bottles in the stretchy zippered side pockets but they aren’t easy to get into with the pack on.
  • Pack got pretty sweaty against my back, wouldn’t say the mesh system made a lot of difference
  • After 2 weeks I had some aches and pains that were pack related. The bottom of the rucksack was kind of in the small of my back (hard to explain) and I am not sure I could have adjusted it enough to avoid this. In hindsight I might have been better with the 44l one as it might have fitted me better with the weight would have been in slightly different place, but the 30l is lovely and compact and was the right size for my things.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have the Montane Trailblazer 30, used it for the first time on the Corfu trail this summer replacing my 45l Exped lightning. I think the Trailblazer 30 has a different lid to the 44 but otherwise they are similar. Couple of comments:

• It’s nicely made but I am not sure how long the big mesh pocket will last. I can see it going in holes pretty quickly but being useable for a long time
  • The space is very useable so the bag seems very spacious
  • Liked the top pocket (30l only) and pockets on straps (good for phones)
  • I disliked the waist belt, unlike the Exped which has a lovely padded waist belt there’s not too much to the Trailblazer belt. It wasn’t uncomfortable as such but I think it would have been more comfortable if I had been a lot slimmer! You can switch between having it round your waist or round your hips and the 30l would be easy to trail run with.
  • I am usually pretty lazy with water, I used to pick up a 1.5l bottle and stick it in the side pocket of the Exped, job done. On the 30l you can’t do this unless the pack is pretty empty, the side pockets are too tight to the bag and not that stretchy. You can put squeezy 500ml water bottles in the chest straps (like a runner would) but you have to buy them. I think you could also put water bottles in the stretchy zippered side pockets but they aren’t easy to get into with the pack on.
  • Pack got pretty sweaty against my back, wouldn’t say the mesh system made a lot of difference
  • After 2 weeks I had some aches and pains that were pack related. The bottom of the rucksack was kind of in the small of my back (hard to explain) and I am not sure I could have adjusted it enough to avoid this. In hindsight I might have been better with the 44l one as it might have fitted me better with the weight would have been in slightly different place, but the 30l is lovely and compact and was the right size for my things.
Thank you Helen
I pulled the trigger on this pack tonight. I'll test it out with full load around my neighbourhood for the following weeks. I use a hydration bladder plus a small bottle, so should be ok with the smaller side pockets. Everything depends on if I can get comfortable with this pack. I also seriously considered the Osprey Talon 44 and possibly the Osprey Levity 45, but liked the idea of the very adjustable harness on the Montane pack.

Used it to carry up to 9 kg. Like it. Few quibbles, like the hydration hose hole letting rain in and the small side mesh pockets. Otherwise very comfortable.

Used it to carry up to 9 kg. Like it. Few quibbles, like the hydration hose hole letting rain in and the small side mesh pockets. Otherwise very comfortable.
Hi Seabeggar
The pack certainly doesn't look waterproof in the least. (Still waiting for mine to arrive). How did you handle rain? Pack cover (which one fits?).
I use the inbuilt cover for my current pack, as well as small dry bags to organise my stuff inside.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Seabeggar
The pack certainly doesn't look waterproof in the least. (Still waiting for mine to arrive). How did you handle rain? Pack cover (which one fits?).
I use the inbuilt cover for my current pack, as well as small dry bags to organise my stuff inside.
Yes needs a rain cover as the hydration tube hole gapes and directs rain inside.

Yes needs a rain cover as the hydration tube hole gapes and directs rain inside.
Received my Trailblazer 44 yesterday. I can see the problem with the H2O port. The only way I can think to prevent water coming in is to close the roll top in a forward direction and push it over the back panel, then clip it in place. Then the hole is covered and it appears comfortable that way.
I've spent the last 2 evenings trying to figure out how to get comfortable with the pack, and I think it is going to be ok. The padding is rather thin but it sits on you like a gilet - so contact is achieved in all areas, which I like. The metal frame down the spine might need bending a bit. The only way is going for some walks, which will happen on my next day off - working this weekend.
I do have my pack cover from the Kestrel 38 which should work.

Both my Mrs & I have one and find it a pretty comfortable pack for multi day trips. My Mrs added some extra padding to waist strap (shoulder pad straps available on eBay) I don't find I need them.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.