• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Monte de Gozo - statue commemorating visit of pope has been removed

Marc S.

Time of past OR future Camino
Some in Spain, Portugal, Germany and Netherlands
I was not aware of this, but apparently the statue of Pope John Paul 2 at Monte de Gozo has been removed. The plan was to renovate but it - according to this article - it will not return. This will also mean there will be a clearer view from the hill towards the city of Santiago.

Edit (26 March) My original post was a bit misleading as I did not formulate correctly. It must be:
the sculpture on Monte de Gozo - that commemorated the visit of Pope John Paul II to Santiago - has been removed.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I was not aware of this, but apparently the statue of Pope John Paul 2 at Monte de Gozo has been removed. The plan was to renovate but it - according to this article - it will not return. This will also mean there will be a clearer view from the hill towards the city of Santiago.

To quote Robert C. Gallagher : " Change is inevitable , except from a vending machine "... :cool: but I find it quite a sad thing. I actually like the fact that, regarding from which part you enter Santiago, you will see the spirals from the cathedral only when you are almost there. I'm too romantic for my own good I guess!

The other sculpture of the two pilgrims pointing to the cathedral is wonderful. Even though not directly on the path. I remember detouring to see it, to the bewilderment of my walking companion as it would add an extra km to the day!!!!! It was nice to move off the path for some quiet contemplation

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Please clarify. ...

Does this mean that that dreadful pyramid has been removed?! Or does it refer to some other monument?

The pyramid. Whether it was dreadful is subjective, I guess.

Actually I wonder what the opinion of the Vatican / Catholic Church is about this, as it is not actually common for a statue of the pope to be demolished. I also wonder how this fits into the protection of the camino as a UNESCO World Heritage site, as it was arguably a landmark in recent camino history.
How I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during the Xunta meetings where this has been decided...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
it is not actually common for a statue of the pope to be demolished
It was not a statue of Pope Saint John Paul II -- it was a piece of weird abstract 1990s "stuff" that looked dated and out of place even when it was new.

The opinion of the Vatican is irrelevant (and likely non-existent).

As to that of "the Catholic Church", well, that's nothing other in this instance than the opinion of the Faithful in the Diocese of Santiago and of the Archbishop (though probably that of the more Catholic foot pilgrims has not been discounted).

Not discussing religion -- this is entirely a question of local ecclesial and municipal politics and administration.

It was not a statue of Pope Saint John Paul II -- it was a piece of weird abstract 1990s "stuff" that looked dated and out of place even when it was new.

You are right - I somehow misused the word statue (and something got lost in translating from one non-native language to another).

Commemorative monument is probably the more accurate word. And probably a monument that has meaning for some, and for some has no meaning.

Whether it was weird abstract 1990s stuff, out of place and dated, is of course subjective.:)

Attachments

• 7D442306-2DC7-428E-819D-910AE8E840E3.jpeg
    7D442306-2DC7-428E-819D-910AE8E840E3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 287
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I agree that it was weird looking. My Spanish is very rusty - did the article say that part of the reason it was being taken down was because it was deteriorating?

Nevertheless, the "monument" was a significant sight to me. It meant that, wonderfully/sadly, my walk was ending. It would soon be time to return to real life, ready or not.

I knew that if the weather was right and I looked in the right direction from the ledge of that monument, rumor had it I would be able to see the spires of the Cathedral (I never did make them out).

And one of my most memorable events of the Camino was being reunited with a long-missed member of my Camino Family on the steps of that monument.

I hope they can place something else there that will mark the spot where the ending of a journey is in sight.

I hope they can place something else there that will mark the spot where the ending of a journey is in sight.
I rather liked seeing the monument and thought it quite "unusual".
Like you, Kathy, it marked the spot where the ending if the journey was in sight. There were very few pilgrims around, so it gave me a peaceful time for reflection before heading into the excitement and exuberant jubilation felt by most in front of the cathedral.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am with those who find this monument to a speech that Pope John Paul II gave during the World Youth Day in 1989 an eyesore. If the monument, made of concrete, aluminium, glass and bronze, has fallen into disrepair after only a few decades, it was obviously not built for eternity. They are keeping the bronze tableaus and returning the location to its original natural state. There is a perfectly appropriate monument close by, dedicated to pilgrims, to the Santiago pilgrimage and to the moment pilgrims saw the Cathedral towers for the first time, with two giant bronze statues pointing their fingers towards Santiago. What more is needed?

This is how badly the World Youth Day monument fitted into the landscape:

Concrete.jpg

Last edited:
There is a perfectly appropriate monument to pilgrims, to the Santiago pilgrimage and to the moment pilgrims saw the Cathedral towers for the first time close by, with two giant bronze statues pointing their fingers towards Santiago.
I missed this monument my first time walking to Santiago as I'd not heard of it prior and is not easily seen unless looking for it...I much prefer it to the pyramid.
Screenshot_20210322-070954~2.png

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I didn't see the monument in 1989 (perhaps it was erected after my Camino in the early spring) and somehow managed to miss it in 2016. I guess it was not directly on the path and I missed the turn off to it. While I tend to be with the camp that says it was not the most attractive monument and don't, in the long term, regret its loss, I do regret missing the opportunity to see it for myself which I was going to make a point to do on my next Camino with that approach.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It was one of the many surprises along The Way. There were other things that I found less appealing. I guess there is a time for all things.

I look forward to seeing how that spot will be redesigned. The unexpected view of Santiago in the distance is enough for me. Everything else is an add-on.

In July 2019 the monument was in really bad shape. As you can see from the photo it was fenced off and we couldn't even walk up to it.

It was a beautiful day and a great view, but I remember seeing the city from up there and being disappointed that the journey was almost over.

Monte do Gozo_2.jpg

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
In July 2019 the monument was in really bad shape.
Wasn't much better, frankly, even in 1993, which was when I first came across the "thing" ...

But it was very degraded in 2014 -- which was (hooray !!) the last time I'll ever set eyes on it !!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Before you couldn't miss the memorial but within it gone will most just walk by without stopping (and will it have an effect on the little kiosk by it). The two pilgrim statues (as in the film The Way) do require about a 1km detour which perhaps explains why I have always found very few people by it and it is very peaceful. You can see the Cathedral spires and I find it a nice spot to reflect on my Camino before making the final walk to the Cathedral. There is part of me that wishes more people were aware where they are but the other part enjoys not many knowing about it making it a quiet and reflective place. My one regret last time was that someone had tied things round their necks.statues and cathedral no1.jpg

Everything can change. Yet I found it important that the Pope had visited the site. So I am a bit sad his statue was removed.

it will be interesting what Object or monuments I will find on the next Camino other than the Francis. As most are placed with heart felt reason.

I saw the monument again a few months ago, it was very dilapidated and fenced off. I find it ugly and would like to see it removed from it's present location. However, it does also have lots of associations with the Camino for many people, it would be sort of nice to have it preserved somewhere a little more hidden - for posterity. Maybe as a reminder of an historical visit and an example of bad art?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yet I found it important that the Pope had visited the site. So I am a bit sad his statue was removed.
The four large bronze plaques will remain in their location on Monte de Gozo, as mentioned in the article. What's gone is the block made of concrete, the rusted decoration that looks like a figure of 66, the rusted square table on top of it, and the proportionally very small decoration on top of that.

Two of the bronze plaques refer to Pope John Paul II in Santiago (one with the Cathedral and the other one hugging the apostle statue), one refers to Francis of Assisi, and the fourth one shows a giant hand which, I guess, is a reference to the ways to Santiago. They deserve to be cleaned and have the rust removed that flowed down from the 66 figure or whatever that was.

Monte do Gozo.jpg

Last edited:

this monument to a speech that Pope John Paul II gave during the World Youth Day in 1989
Could this thread be renamed to reflect the fact that it wasn't a sculpture of the Pope that was removed, but a sculpture that commemorated the visit of Pope John Paul II to Santiago?

And indeed, although the sculpture has been removed, the plagues that commemorate his visit are still there.
The four large bronze plaques will remain in their location on Monte de Gozo, as mentioned in the article.

Two of the bronze plaques refer to Pope John Paul II in Santiago (once with the Cathedral and the other time hugging the apostle statue), one to Francis of Assisi, and the fourth one shows a giant hand, I guess, probably a reference to the ways to Santiago.

I, too, found the monument stark looking and out of place. It really needed someone to have planned landscaping around it. Having said that, I still liked it because of what it represented. St. John Paul II did not arbitrarily come to Santiago, nor convene a World Youth Day there for no reason. He did it to celebrate the pilgrim route. He chose the mount of Joy, Monte de Gozo, to celebrate mass because of its symbolic significance. (In life's journey, as on the Camino, we see the hope on the horizon). This publicity that St. John Paul II gave to the Camino has added to its modern popularity and was itself important. While the monument may not have been aesthetically pleasing I am very happy to hear the commemorative plaques will remain as they recall JP's visit and parallel it to the visit of St. Francis of Assisi. The other two plaques are really about the pilgrims, from the pope (himself a pilgrim of sorts) hugging St. James to our walking all the ways to Santiago.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I must admit I found the monument very strange-looking and could not understand its symbolism. I would have loved to have seen the pilgrim statues but never knew they were there. Maybe next time, hopefully.

On my first Camino I didn't mind seeing that big monument at all as I was entralled with every sight, sound and smell along the Way...I was truly excited and appreciated nearly everything and anything!

Could this thread be renamed to reflect the fact that it wasn't a sculpture of the Pope that was removed, but a sculpture that commemorated the visit of Pope John Paul II to Santiago?

You are right about this. My original post was not formulated correctly and a bit misleading. To avoid misunderstanding for future readers, I edited my original post. I don't know how to change the thread title though.

Yay! That was one ugly monument.

And more important: even though I am a pratising Catholic and an enthusiastic fan of Pope Saint John Paul, I feel that it was overdone to have such a hit-your-eye monument to his visit in that particular place. It made Monte do Gozo all about John Paul, which it is not. I had to ask around and search for the old, beautiful and much more relevant statue of the two pilgrims pointing to the spires of the Cathedral. Even the Camino arrows took you to the Pope monument and skirted the old pilgrims statue. I thought that was terrible.

A monument of some kind to the Pope's hugely important and meaningful visit is all very well - and there WILL still be one, as they are preserving the four big plaques. Quite enough.

Now I hope they redirect the arrows too, and make us all walk up the little hill where the pilgrims's statue stands. And from where you can still see the spires of the Cathedral, beautifully!

I had to ask around and search for the old, beautiful and much more relevant statue of the two pilgrims pointing to the spires of the Cathedral. Even the Camino arrows took you to the Pope monument and skirted the old pilgrims statue. I thought that was terrible.

Not wanting to be smart, but the pilgrim statues are not old, but were placed there in 1993.

This of course does not take anything away from your experience.

I find it interesting though how recent monuments on the camino can be meaningful for some, while at the same time recent momuments may be considered undesirable as there is a desire "to preserve things as they were" (which always makes me wonder which point in history one wants to preserve)

Just let me quote Cees Nooteboom describing his visit to Monte de Gozo in Roads to Santiago, before the camino revival: There is no one to be seen on that high mound, nothing at all, a some what bare field, a closed chapel, a few boulders.

And then getting to the heart of it (I think): Some place do that to you, they have a certain magic whereby you find yourself partaking in the thoughts of others, unknown people, people who existed in a world that can never be yours.

I wonder if he would have the same realisation if he were to visit Monte de Gozo today.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Not wanting to be smart, but the pilgrim statues are not old, but were placed there in 1993.

This of course does not take anything away from your experience.

I find it interesting though how monuments on the camino can be meaningful for some, while at the same time there is a desire "to preserve things as they were" (which always makes me wonder which point in history one wants to preserve)

Just let me quote Cees Nooteboom describing his visit to Monte de Gozo in Roads to Santiago, before the camino revival: There is no one to be seen on that high mound, nothing at all, a some what bare field, a closed chapel, a few boulders.

And then getting to the heart of it (I think): Some place do that to you, they have a certain magic whereby you find yourself partaking in the thoughts of others, unknown people, people who existed in a world that can never be yours.

I wonder if he would have the same realisation if he were to visit Monte de Gozo today.
Thanks for the info! That changes my perspective a little.

I must say, though, that my feelings in this case are not to "preserve things as they were", but to keep the right spirit of the place. (And to take away something frankly ugly.) Monte Do Gozo is, and should remain, the place from where pilgrims first see the Cathedral. I assume the pilgrims' statue was placed in the traditional stopping place. Or did they destroy the original viewing point to create the infrastructure for the Pope's visit?

A few people here have pointed out that all opinions are subjective, but I don't think one post has had a good word to say about it. When everybody says that the monument was ugly, dreadful, dated, out of place, stark and strange-looking, does it cease to be subjective?

A few people here have pointed out that all opinions are subjective, but I don't think one post has had a good word to say about it. When everybody says that the monument was ugly, dreadful, dated, out of place, stark and strange-looking, does it cease to be subjective?

No. It will stay subjective. IMO ;)
For me it might be strange looking but not dreadful at all.

When everybody says that the monument was ugly, dreadful, dated, out of place, stark and strange-looking, does it cease to be subjective?

The majority of reviews on tripadvisor are positive about the monument. Does this mean the monument is beautiful ? Nope. It will stay subjective.

(my reason for starting this thread was just to inform people and not trying to convince anyone of anything)

Monte Do Gozo is, and should remain, the place from where pilgrims first see the Cathedral. I assume the pilgrims' statue was placed in the traditional stopping place. Or did they destroy the original viewing point to create the infrastructure for the Pope's visit?

As far as I am aware (but others may correct me) in the past the cathedral was visible from the Monte de Gozo (where the monument is) but this is no longer so because of eucalyptus forests and suburban skylines obstructing the view. So I don't think they destroyed the original viewpoint in order to make way for the momument.

I must say, though, that my feelings in this case are not to "preserve things as they were", but to keep the right spirit of the place. (And to take away something frankly ugly.)

My comment about 'preserving things as they were' was not particularly directed to you. In fact I am known for wanting to "preserve things as they were"- I am a sentimental guy.... And I am also all for keeping the right spirit of places, which I find to be a complicated thing though.
(Personally I find the the pilgrim statues at Alto del Perdon and Monte de Gozo rather tacky, and for me they do not anything to keep the spirit of these places. But there is no right and wrong here).

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As far as I am aware (but others may correct me) in the past the cathedral was visible from the Monte de Gozo (where the monument is) but this is no longer so because of eucalyptus forests and suburban skylines obstructing the view. So I don't think they destroyed the original viewpoint in order to make way for the momument.

My comment about 'preserving things as they were' was not particularly directed to you. In fact I am known for wanting to "preserve things as they were"- I am a sentimental guy.... And I am also all for keeping the right spirit of places, which I find to be a complicated thing though.
(Personally I find the the pilgrim statues at Alto del Perdon and Monte de Gozo rather tacky, and for me they do not anything to keep the spirit of these places. But there is no right and wrong here).
Agree. In the Alto del Perdón a nicer momunent and in stone, would have been more apropiated

It is calles Monte del Gozo (Hill of Joy, Monxoi, Freudenberg, etc) for a reason. The joy experienced in at long last watching the Cathedral's Spires (Las torres de la Catedral). Sadly, the original view was spoiled years ago with the building of high rise flats interrupting the view.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The monument was certainly deteriorating. I took these two photos in 2014 and 2018 which show the monument getting very rusty and also the concrete pyramid getting worse with a hole in it.

Attachments

• 315.jpg
    315.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCF1324ep.jpg
    DSCF1324ep.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 68
I was not aware that the monument had been removed but looking at the images from Devon Mike, it clearly shows the vandalism that had occurred by 2018. I really don't understand why people must engrave their mark on things like this. Even back in 2013, I was surprised by the way the path markers had been defaced. Is it pilgrims who do this? It must frustrate those that put their efforts into providing these markers.

The pyramid. Whether it was dreadful is subjective, I guess.

Actually I wonder what the opinion of the Vatican / Catholic Church is about this, as it is not actually common for a statue of the pope to be demolished. I also wonder how this fits into the protection of the camino as a UNESCO World Heritage site, as it was arguably a landmark in recent camino history.
How I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during the Xunta meetings where this has been decided...
Was the statue actually demolished? Or will it be relocated, perhaps in a square in SdC?

Last edited:
Was the statue actually demolished? Or will it be relocated, perhaps in a square in SdC?
Marc S. has tried to explain that his first post was formulated incorrectly. There never was a statue of the Pope. There was an "installation", a monument commemorating the visit of Pope John Paul II to Santiago in 1989.

I initially used the term statue incorrectly - it was a monument commemorating the visit of the pope.
To be precise. The four large bronze plaques will remain in their location on Monte de Gozo. The block made of concrete, the rusted decoration that looks like a figure of 66, the rusted square table on top of it, and decoration on top of that - they are all gone. I don't think it will be relocated elsewhere. (it was apparently in bad condition anyway).

Last edited:
I wonder.

Did anyone ask the sculptor what his idea, his intent, was when he created this monument? I'm curious about the swirling "sickles", the meaning behind the four plaques (three seem straight-forward, one is more puzzling), etc. Someone in a local newspaper must have interviewed the sculptor.

Perhaps, a piece of art that leaves many baffled is successful/unsuccessful. As a pilgrim, I found it abrupt and out of place by the end of my long journey. However, the monument was not placed there to commemorate the journey, it was to commemorate one visit by one person to that place. It may have been quite appropriate in a different place.

And, perhaps, it was purposefully designed to have a limited "life span."

I'm curious about the swirling "sickles"
Do you mean the figure of "66"? I have no idea, I assumed that it was just abstract art. Perhaps a trademark of this sculptor. Below is another monument by her, in Madrid, called Peace Monument. The sculptor of the erstwhile Monte do Gozo monument is a she, not a he. :cool:

Monument Peace Madrid.jpg

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Do you mean the figure of "66"? I have no idea, I assumed that it was just abstract art. Perhaps a trademark of this sculptor. Below is another monument by her, in Madrid, called Peace Monument. The sculptor of the erstwhile Monte do Gozo monument is a she, not a he. :cool:

View attachment 102496
Lol. My bad! I’m a music major myself. You’d think that I would be more sensitive. Thanks for calling me on it!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.