• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

monte de Gozo

Lydia Gillen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007/8/9, 2011 , 2012/13/14. C.F 2015
Camino Portugues 2017,2018,2019
volunteering
May one stay more than one night in the albergue in Monte de Gozo, lydia

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Yes, you can stay up to three nights, I believe. You can also stay more than one night at Seminario Menor. I stayed three nights when I was there last year. It was 15 Euro/night for a private room, which after doing the Camino was a nice luxury. They also have dorm accomodation for less. It's closer to all the things you can see in SDC.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Whalleyranger said:
Why would you want to? It's an awful, soulless place.

Um, because it's a really cheap way to stay in Santiago basically. (Only reason I can think of)

I was told by the hospitalero at Seminario Menor that you are allowed to stay there as long as you want. Not sure if anyone's tested that theory to the max?

About Hostal Seminario Menor

The Minor Seminary Hostal provides the following services: reception, social rooms with TV, Internet, Laundry, Vending Machines, outdoor parking for bikes, etc

Other facilities are bottom sheet & pillow case included in the accommodation price
It is essential to have sleeping bag at one´s disposal

Timetable
For the correct functioning and maintenance we recommend our guests to:

Leave the facilities before 9:30 h. A.M., since cleaning takes place between 9:30h. and 13:30h
Access the facilities after 13:30 P.M.
Reception service
The reception is open from 13:30 h. to 23:00 h.

http://www.albergueseminariomenor.com/en/index.html

Hi

Just left Monte do Gozo yesterday and at the moment in winter they will allow you to stay as long as you want. Fun place with kitchen full of implements and cooking ingredients, Manuel a complete mad man but very funny. Cheap at 5 euro's and the bus runs regular into Santiago at 1 euro each way.

Hope this helps

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Rene, Falcon and Andrew,

Many Thanks, I may get to Santiago a few days before my actual booking in a hostel in the city and I would prefer to stay in monte Gozo rather than walking the streets with my ruck on my back looking for somewhere else to stay.

Saludos

Lydia

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Santiago is an easy place to walk around "with pack on back". I would prefer to hang out in Santiago rather than Gozo which is actually away from all activity.
Just my opinion, of course. :arrow:

Monte de Gozo is good for what it offers, as well as the price. What I did not like, however, was the way pilgrims on foot were treated as opposed to those who came on buses. If you came on foot, you couldn't eat at the sit-down restaurant, but had to go to the cafeteria where the food was, well, something. Likewise at breakfast, those of us who wanted a nice, sit-down, celebratory last breakfast were rudely ushered out of the restaurant & told to go to the bar for little more than rather high-priced pastries & coffee.

Kelly

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Why you wanna stay more than one night in that place?, there are too many places in Santiago to hang around all the time you want, it is far more better to stay in Santiago than Monte do Gozo, believe me, just for an extra few euros, worth it !

Lydia Gillen said:
May one stay more than one night in the albergue in Monte de Gozo, lydia

Hi LG

Monte do Gozo is just fine. I've just spent 3 super days there - its the company you´re with that makes it. I met , as usual, a remarkable bunch of people and we had laughs. Manuel is not crazy but a very sharp and efficient guy. There were only about 10 pilgs there, it has to be said. One of the posters above who scorned the place has previously spoken of taking 60 euro rooms in SDC so take his comment with a pinch of salt. Soul is what you bring to a place. We´re lucky to have such places - any place.*

On another note, some people seem to be looking for more and more comforts each year, turning the camino into a hostel style touring holiday, if theyre not in hotels. M d G is pleasant, has all thats needed and has a great view; what more do they want?

Please cuddle and feed the little black cat who lives round the alb door.

(Its a 1 euro bus ride into town. Coming back, take the No 6 bus from Cafe Alabama near Praza do Galicia. Get off at San Marcos on top of the hill. Enjoy, and forget the negative comments some posted above.) I´m hoofing it round Madrid now, wishing I was back in Monte do Gozo.....

* we discussed such issues round the kitchen table there with wine and food and beer and camino stories and "best" caminos and all sorts of laughs. Better than paying a lot to be isolated in a hotel. I hope the hotel users didnt use albs on the camino, if albs are so bad. If they can afford hotels then that frees up places for others.

Thank you Caminando,

You have guessed rightly. I want to meet people. Basic accommodation holds no fears for me. I was born during the war years.

On the last leg of the Camino in 2009 I got sick coming over by the Iron Cross. The snow and sleet was awful I was not prepared for it at the end of May , and maybe I picked up a bug and could not fight it and I was really ill for a few days and was left very weak.. I realised that if I was to get to Santiago in time to see the cathedral etc. and catch my flight home that I would have do do things differently, so I started sending my ruck on by taxi each morning and of course I had to book into private places. I found it so very very lonely. Having a room and shower all to myself in no way compensated for the hurly burly and camaraderie of the albergues.

I'll feed the little cat when I meet him!!

Lydia

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Right on LG!

You clearly know whats what on a camino IMO, and I think your instincts serve you well. If we are open to it, then the folk we meet, or at least those Ive met, are simply fascinating. A day or so ago, I talked with some amazing people in Gozo, and I find that there are people wandering round Europe on foot doing enormous distances. Others are just fun to be with, and I hope I contributed my twopence worth of humour too. Unlike one or two on the forum, they caught on to my sense of humour, seeing it for what it really is, and responded in kind.

I had just done the CI and hadnt met a soul , which I relished incidentally, as much as meeting the characters I did in Gozo. I spoke to Andrea about a forthcoming Times article. Expect the English to catch up and start coming in more numbers soon. The Scots of course were in good numbers, as world wanderers. I got some nice personal info on the Norte and Primitivo, and gave info on my other caminos, so it was a lovely exchange. And in the kitchen we had some fine bagpiping too! And the wine! Oooof! You shoulda bin there!

I have friends from my first camino 21 years ago, and I have new ones since, on all my Ways. You cant beat that, and you'll never find it in a hotel, cut off from the life of the camino, which of course is its people, both good, bad and ugly. I myself fall into all of those three categories.

Thanks for keeping an eye open for the wee black cat, she's a star. I think its a she. If you like cats then you can feel the body difference through your hands.

I was slightly apprehensive that someone would be put off reading those horribly dismissive comments about Gozo. Let the featherbed pilgrims go to their 60 euro hotels, I say! The fun is in Gozo! Yeah!

PS you did right to adapt your last camino to suit your circumstances, bravo!

AndrewH said:
Hi

Just left Monte do Gozo yesterday and at the moment in winter they will allow you to stay as long as you want. Fun place with kitchen full of implements and cooking ingredients, Manuel a complete mad man but very funny. Cheap at 5 euro's and the bus runs regular into Santiago at 1 euro each way.

Hope this helps

Hi Andrew

I ran into some of your camino friends!

I think Stuart´s got the bug, no not bugs, (played the pipes in Gozo, but lost a drone on the camino) and Mr Estonia is off to Portugal -several gently suggested that he visit a shower - and a laundry visit would pay off in good karma). Did you meet Horst and Andrea? Oh there are others.................

Thanks for the info again, Cam - sounds like my kind of place - I shall head straight there when I've done the CI...
(and I LOVE cats, and wine!!)
SJ

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Mexicanpilgrim said:
Why you wanna stay more than one night in that place?, there are too many places in Santiago to hang around all the time you want, it is far more better to stay in Santiago than Monte do Gozo, believe me, just for an extra few euros, worth it !
Actually I stayed in Monte de Gozo for two nights and loved it. First night was not intended, but the weather was pretty bad on what we thought was our last day's walk to Santiago- lots of rain and fog. Hard to see in front of your nose; could barely find anything at Monte de Gozo but somehow stumbled on the albergue.
The hospitalero who checked us in there was the loveliest, most genuine guy, Manuel. And there was a special atmosphere there, as everyone knew they were finishing tomorrow. I enjoyed a comfortable bed in a roomy room, and really enjoyed the conversations I had there with others.

We opted to stay a second night. We were able to leave our big packs there, and just walked into Santiago with a day pack, which I really enjoyed! That evening, we caught the bus back to the bottom of the hill.

I had one meal in the huge restaurant with crowds of Spanish teens mostly there for a soccer camp, and it was an unpleasant experience- but it was the only meal I ate there. I washed all my clothes in the excellent laundry, and was so pleased to have them all ultra-clean.

After two nights there, I moved into Santiago itself, but I enjoyed both my nights in Monte de Gozo very much.

With all do respect for everybody, I cant avoid to think about one thing when I remember Monte do Gozo, and it is the feeling that I was so near of the end of the camino and I never wanted to end, may be thats why some people want to stay more than one night in MDG, that particular feeling came to me a couple of towns before MDG, putting that feeling aside, In my own personal opinion, I prefer to stay more days in Santiago than MDG or any other place in Galicia....and dont ask me about the other places in Castilla or in Navarra or in La Rioja, thats a whole diferent story, for me it was very tempting to stay more than one night in Logrono....but I decided to keep walking, I was a pilgrim, not a tourist. From that day on I decided that if have to stay for more than one night in one place, it would be only because I got sick or beacuse of a very bad weather, I never stayed for more than one night in the same place, thanks to god.

Hi Mex

Many pilgs stay in Gozo or Seminario Menor to enjoy SDC and at the same time meet friends who were just ahead or just behind them on the way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
KiwiNomad06 said:
Mexicanpilgrim said:
Actually I stayed in Monte de Gozo for two nights and loved it. First night was not intended, but the weather was pretty bad on what we thought was our last day's walk to Santiago- lots of rain and fog. Hard to see in front of your nose; could barely find anything at Monte de Gozo but somehow stumbled on the albergue.
The hospitalero who checked us in there was the loveliest, most genuine guy, Manuel. And there was a special atmosphere there, as everyone knew they were finishing tomorrow. I enjoyed a comfortable bed in a roomy room, and really enjoyed the conversations I had there with others.

We opted to stay a second night. We were able to leave our big packs there, and just walked into Santiago with a day pack, which I really enjoyed! That evening, we caught the bus back to the bottom of the hill.

I had one meal in the huge restaurant with crowds of Spanish teens mostly there for a soccer camp, and it was an unpleasant experience- but it was the only meal I ate there. I washed all my clothes in the excellent laundry, and was so pleased to have them all ultra-clean.

After two nights there, I moved into Santiago itself, but I enjoyed both my nights in Monte de Gozo very much.

Kiwi is spot on with this one, apart from the restaurant stuff: why not make and share your grub in the Gozo kitchen? What fun chats and shared experiences you could have! Otherwise a useful post on Gozo. Anyone readng this should heed the advice. Though you need not 'move into Santiago'. It's only a 1 euro ride into SDC.

I guess each person can enjoy the camino in different ways, for some people could be a good advise to stay in MDG or in any other place for more than one night, for some others it wont. For some people it is important to meet friends, for some others is not important, not everybody thinks and feel the same way, thats one of the first things you see on the camino, due to cultural differences among other things....

last year, i stayed in Seminario Menor, more days.... it was very nice there...

on my second camino this february, some of the pilgrims chose MDG. the problem is you cannot stay more then 5-6 hours in Santiago... you need a place to rest.... or a shower... they basically stayed more in MDG, which in winter does not offer very much, than in Santiago....

i stayed in Santiago, this time too.. it's a pity that Seminario Menor is closed in winter, but even spending more money did worth the value of being in Santiago a whole day, not just 5-6 hours per day...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
mmonomm said:
last year, i stayed in Seminario Menor, more days.... it was very nice there...

on my second camino this february, some of the pilgrims chose MDG. the problem is you cannot stay more then 5-6 hours in Santiago... you need a place to rest.... or a shower... they basically stayed more in MDG, which in winter does not offer very much, than in Santiago....

i stayed in Santiago, this time too.. it's a pity that Seminario Menor is closed in winter, but even spending more money did worth the value of being in Santiago a whole day, not just 5-6 hours per day...

There's a new alb - Final del Camino- in San Lazaro, about 2 kms from Gozo. 176 beds, 6 euros. Not open in winter.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.