• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Monthly Pilgrim numbers from St Jean

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
Hi all - I once had a neat graph that displayed monthly pilgrim numbers from St Jean but cannot find it now.

Have done a lot of searching - I know it or similar exists! - but have failed. Can't get a link from the St Jean pilgrim office and the cathedral seems only to show those arriving in Santiago ....

I am off soon to the Camino doing the first aid thing and was wondering when is the earliest I can go and find sufficient numbers of victims - ooppss, casualties :D.

Can anyone point me to where I can find out the info? Knowing March, April, numbers from St Jean, and even Roncesvalles and Pamplona - those first few days, would be helpful as I find that from day 2 to 7 is when bodies tend to fail - if they are going to fail after the Camino shock of walking every day, too far, too fast, too heavy, wrong footwear, etc.

Thanks!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yours is really a good, laudable purpose.
I have seen many people ending with problems after the SJPP-Roncesvalles stage, especially amongst those that choose the steep forest descent. The last 100k is another source of problems, because people starting in Sarria have frequently no experience and try to keep pace with a larger group.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi David. You had a similar request last year that for some reason I responded to in a PM. I dug it up and here it is:

The average number of pilgrims arriving in Santiago on the CF in March over the last 5 years is about 4,000. If they did the whole thing they would have left in February. The CF arrivals in March 2013 was about 4,000. So thats what I'll use. The office registered im March 2013 about 275 coming from SJ, about 225 from Roncevalles and about 100 from Pamplona. So about 20 per day would be passing through Puente de Reina.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Have now found one of the graphs (on a dusty mem' stick!) - shows weekly from St Jean but about five years ago I think. Interesting peaks - first week in September having the most pilgrims.

The first leap in numbers is week 13, which is the last week in March - so will make that period my first visit this year. Coo! Packing now!! hurrah!!!

So it is less crowded on the Camino in June/July than in May/September. Wonder why...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Luka - not so much the crowds on the Camino, which do peak earlier in the year, but specifically numbers leaving St Jean.
The majority of pilgrims are Spanish and almost none of those start in France.

It is pilgrims from other parts of the world who start in St Jean and I have absolutely no idea why it is always busy late August until end of September and with a big peak first week of September in St Jean - is sort of counter-intuitive isn't it!

The majority of pilgrims are Spanish and almost none of those start in France.
Ah yes, of course! I think by the way that the GR 65 (Le Puy en Velay - St Jean PdP) is also more crowded in May and September. For some reason the French seem to prefer those months. Maybe to avoid the warm summer months?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back