• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

montparnasse train station vs train station right at CDG

terryenroute

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances '13, VDLP '16, Salamanca to Santiago/Finesterra/Muxia '17, Madrid/San Salvador '19.
Why do some people talk of using the train from Montparnasse station, vs just using the train station right under the terminal at the airport? Advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Because the TGV trains going to Bayonne leaves from Montparnasse. The RER leaving from the airport is like a long-distance metro/subway

There are several TGV running through CDG to Bordeaux each day but the timing never seems to be in synch with arriving flights from the US (appx. departures 8, 10, 14 and 16h) There are more options for TGV's and TER from Montparnasse travelling through to Bayonne and Biarritz.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
terryvinet,

CaminoGen is correct there is a RER suburban network leaving from CDG for info see >> http://www.easycdg.com/1/ground-transpo ... sdegaulle/ but as biarritzdon notes there are also trains which may be handy for pilgrims.

1. There are some trains that go from CDG airport.These are SNCF TGV (Tres Grand Express) from CdG Paris 2 airport to BORDEAUX and which then connect with another TGV to Bayonne and a TER line 62 train from Bayonne to SJPdP. Their departures may not correspond with your arrival time. For info about getting a TGV ticket at CDG or getting to Paris from CDG see this English language site http://www.easycdg.com/1/ground-transpo ... sdegaulle/

2. As caminoGen notes the route is generally a TGV train from the Paris Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne and then a regional TER line 62 train from Bayonne to SJPdP. Generally there are several TGV trains to Bayonne from Paris Montparnasse each day and many TER line 62 trains from Bayonne to SJPdP.

3. If you wish you could take the regular overnight train from Paris Gare Austerlitz to Bayonne to connect with a morning TER line 62 train to SJPdP.

You NEED a reservation for any TGV train and it is cheaper to book the ticket well in advance; you do NOT need a reservation for the TER line 62. You can buy both tickets on-line at the same time. However you can also book everything with a live clerk at the station the day of departure if you wish. If you take the mid morning train from Paris you can be in SJPdP by late afternoon.

You can see schedules up to 3 months in advance at this SNCF (French Nationl Rail Road ) link. http://www.voyages-sncf.com/.

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

I'm not even interested in this thread, but Margaret, you are such a wealth of information and so willing to share it. Thank you.

I totally agree with the Kiwi-family about Margaret Meredith's posts, they are complete and very informative. It's too bad she has to keep repeating herself time and time again and there is not some resource/link for the all too often asked questions about transport from this place to that. I leave for my Camino from Porto to Muxia in 2 weeks and wish there was someone that informed for my route. :arrow:

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Personally, I'd stop over for a night in Paris, then get a train from Montparnasse in the morning.

Because it's a shame to pass through Paris without pausing. If you need a place to adapt to the time change it's ideal. Not to mention a thousand other pleasures. If you can treat yourself to a stayover, it's not to be missed, not even for the umpteenth time.

Stopping en route to where you start your walk is part of the staging and setup I really enjoy. Building the anticipation.

Since we have been to Paris a few times already, we decided that since we land early in the morning in Paris from Canada, that we are just taking the train to Bordeaux and spending our first night there, enjoy some fine wine and work on our jet lag. The next morning take the two trains to St Jean , have a good nights sleep and on Sept 18........off we go. We've never purchased our train tickets prior to our travels and have never had any issues. We'll probably just buy our tickets in Bordeaux when we arrive for our next day train trips with one of the machines. They are super easy to use and beat standing in long line ups. One trip we took a taxi to Montparnasse station from CDG, what a hoot driving through Paris with an experienced crazy taxi driver. I guess it depends on how fast you need or want to get to St Jean on your decision where to train from.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Canucks said:
Since we have been to Paris a few times already, we decided that since we land early in the morning in Paris from Canada, that we are just taking the train to Bordeaux and spending our first night there, enjoy some fine wine and work on our jet lag. The next morning take the two trains to St Jean , have a good nights sleep and on Sept 18........off we go. We've never purchased our train tickets prior to our travels and have never had any issues. We'll probably just buy our tickets in Bordeaux when we arrive for our next day train trips with one of the machines. They are super easy to use and beat standing in long line ups. One trip we took a taxi to Montparnasse station from CDG, what a hoot driving through Paris with an experienced crazy taxi driver. I guess it depends on how fast you need or want to get to St Jean on your decision where to train from.

Could you bring us a bottle of vino from Bordeaux. We also depart from st jean pdp on the 18th. I could share all my Canadian stories and French bread in exchange....

:lol: I also start walking from St jean 18th Sept.... arrive Paris on 14th ... currently still trying to decide my plans from Paris to St Jean... I am thinking to spend a night or two in Paris and then train to Bayonne ... maybe stay one night there.... then train to St jean.... have a booking for St jean on the 17th and Orisson on the 18th.. guess I shall be seein ya all :lol:

Annie

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back