• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Morakniv

Geodoc

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2018 (across Pyrenees, then Sarria to SdC), CF 2019 (SJPdP to Finisterra & Muxia), CI 2019
Last year my wife and I did portions of the CF, and, as usual, I carried a Swiss Army Knife (never leave home without one), but I had issues while cutting stuff up on the road (almost sliced off a finger when the blade accidentally closed while cutting once). I decided then to bring a fixed blade knife along on the next Camino (I know, many of you will say "no - no added weight!", but it is what it is).

The one I have and like is the little Morakniv (stainless steel, 4"/10cm blade with plastic sheath - very light). No intention on carrying it on my body (just in the pack, to be pulled out when picnicking or at Albergues without cutlery in the kitchen if necessary). I won't be doing a lot of dining out (e.g., few menu del dias) so it's pretty essential. I'll also be carrying my Swiss Army knife (bottle opener and toothpick are essentials, after all).

Is this something I'll be able to get in SJPdP or along the way (early on) so I don't have to travel through London with it in my pack? I'd like to avoid falling afoul of the law.

Thanks in advance (and I checked online with Decatholon, and they don't appear to carry it, only the heavy duty version which I don't need).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last year my wife and I did portions of the CF, and, as usual, I carried a Swiss Army Knife (never leave home without one), but I had issues while cutting stuff up on the road (almost sliced off a finger when the blade accidentally closed while cutting once). I decided then to bring a fixed blade knife along on the next Camino (I know, many of you will say "no - no added weight!", but it is what it is).

The one I have and like is the little Morakniv (stainless steel, 4"/10cm blade with plastic sheath - very light). No intention on carrying it on my body (just in the pack, to be pulled out when picnicking or at Albergues without cutlery in the kitchen if necessary). I won't be doing a lot of dining out (e.g., few menu del dias) so it's pretty essential. I'll also be carrying my Swiss Army knife (bottle opener and toothpick are essentials, after all).

Is this something I'll be able to get in SJPdP or along the way (early on) so I don't have to travel through London with it in my pack? I'd like to avoid falling afoul of the law.

Thanks in advance (and I checked online with Decatholon, and they don't appear to carry it, only the heavy duty version which I don't need).
The Swiss Army knife is more than enough. And NO, a fixded blade is NOT essential. I will walk the Camino Frances a second time and I have never met a pilgrim wishing that he/she brought a fixed blade knife. As a matter of fact, I would say at least 25% of the people that I met didn't even have knife. I will even go on to say that if you cut yourself with a small Swiss Knife, maybe a bigger knife isn't the way you should go.

Ricardo, I'm not sure if your intent is to be insulting, but it comes across that way to me. I apologize if I'm wrong. I was asking for some input that I would find useful, not what appears to be some form of reprimand because I prefer to use a specific tool over what I've used in the past.

I'll guess that the Swiss Army knife is enough for your Camino, but I did not find it sufficient for mine, hence my desire for a functional, legal-sized, fixed blade knife.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Geodoc you won’t fall foul of the law for carrying the knife of your choice in London.

The law doesn’t say you can’t carry a knife, but that you can’t carry a knife without valid reason. Valid reasons include recreational purposes.

If I were you I would read up on this (don’t just take my word!) and then buy the knife you need at home and not worry about finding it on the Camino.

The problem is flying with it - you will have to put your luggage in the hold (but presumably you already knew this).

I am sure you can buy a moraknivlike knife in SJPdP. Look into a shop that sells kitchenthings. They are cheaper and weigh less than a Swiss army knife, and better for most cutting.

You could buy an Opinel knife in SJPdP. They close like a penknife but there's a metal ring where the blade meets the handle which locks it when in use. I think the smallest one, with a blade of about 7cm, costs about €6.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I love the Mora, I always have one in my pack when doing wilderness walk, plus a small SAK on my pocket.

You can carry it in your pack legally in EU as long as you have a valid reason (i.e. food preparation) for it and that you are be able to prove it (i.e. the presence of other food preparation related stuff such as dish, salt, fork, etc.). For the flight as long as it's not in your hand luggage it's fine.

For the Camino along with a SAK I'd rather bring a small regular kitchen knife with blade guard. They are cheaper, they can be found even in supermarkets and the blade guard it's easier to clean from food residues than the deep Mora sheath. I got one from Ikea ages ago and it's perfect for food preparation and it cost me 1 Euro.

Mora and similar kind of knives such as Friskars, Hultafords, Stanley are usually available in EU in hardware stores (like Brico) and sports stores, but they are cheaper if brought on line.

Ricardo, I'm not sure if your intent is to be insulting, but it comes across that way to me. I apologize if I'm wrong. I was asking for some input that I would find useful, not what appears to be some form of reprimand because I prefer to use a specific tool over what I've used in the past.

I'll guess that the Swiss Army knife is enough for your Camino, but I did not find it sufficient for mine, hence my desire for a functional, legal-sized, fixed blade knife.
I think that, if you did literally "almost sliced off a finger" then @Ricardo Moretti's advice is sound not an insult.
All knives need to be sharp - you're more likely to injure yourself with a blunt one (at least a sharp knife with slice off your finger cleanly) and one of the biggest flaws of the SAK is that few of them lock open.

An Opinel knife with a locking ring (and, in one case a corkscrew) is a good option but illegal to carry (in the UK for example) without a good reason.

From the Guardia Civil website:

The stilted English is down to Google auto-translate.

And don't forget that if you go through a large railway station (SdC for example) your baggage goes through a detector machine before you're allowed on the platform.

BTW what was it that you needed to hack apart that put you in danger of losing life or limb?

@Geodoc you won’t fall foul of the law for carrying the knife of your choice in London.

The law doesn’t say you can’t carry a knife, but that you can’t carry a knife without valid reason. Valid reasons include recreational purposes.

REALLY? Knife crime is on the increase in the UK. Of the 132 victims of homicide in London last year (for whom data is available) 76 were stabbed, 15 were shot and 41 were killed by other means. I know that's hardly up to Rio standards (6731 violent deaths in 2017) but the police in the UK are increasingly concerned about people carrying knives of any sort. A few years ago a guy ran amok in a supermarket and stabbed or cut ten people . . . with a SAK!

The legal limit for the length of a knife blade (length of cutting edge) carried on your person (with a valid reason) is just 3" (or 7.62mm) and the maximum penalty is a 4 year prison sentence and an unlimited fine: UK knife regulations

Good luck convincing a London copper (who will probably be wearing a "stab-vest") that the valid reason you're carrying a knife with a 4" blade is so you can have a picnic in Spain . . .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
3” is the length limit without good reason (from the link you supplied:
  • carry a knife in public without good reason, unless it has a folding blade with a cutting edge 3 inches long or less
Angling, etc. and even hiking are valid reasons (including travelling to and from the activity). A court will have to decide on your intent so really if you have a pack full of hiking stuff and you can prove that you are indeed on your way to a hiking holiday, that you stuff the knife right at the bottom of your pack, thereby indicating that you have no intention to use it for self defense or anything like that, you are not breaking the law. The law actually specifically allows for common sense, which means (for better or for worse) that there is a bit of room for interpretation...

Knife crime are on the increase yes, but both perpetrators and victims tend to belong to the same demographics and are usually not hikers and pilgrims.

I live in London and would have no issue carrying any knife of any size or description as long as I had a valid reason to do so (bringing knives back to the kitchen shop springs to mind!) and I’d be confident to prove my intent.

THAT SAID...I do think it’s a bit unnecessary to bring anything else than a Swiss Army knife on the Camino but that’s none of my business.

Thanks all for the helpful replies. I believe I'll either go with Leibniz's advice and just bring mine from home or go with Stroller's advice and find a kitchen knife with blade guard at Ikea. As stated, it'll be in my pack the entire time, used only for picnics and albergues lacking cutlery, which I understand is a real thing on the CI, which I'll be doing with my wife after I finish my own CF. My pack will be in checked luggage (it's too long for carry-on, especially as I'll be transferring to RyanAir for the final leg), so no worries there.

I had reviewed both the UK and Spanish laws prior to asking the question on this forum (hence already knew what was and was not legal, and had already measured my knife's blade length and determined it was legal for Spain), but the UKs laws are a bit disconcerting, hence my original plan to consider purchasing one in Spain.

Again, thanks to those that provided helpful advice.

Ah....Morakniv...Moraknives?

I'm a fan. This is in my vehicle center console with my individual first aid kit. Gave the serrated version to the wife.

Having had and used knives for 40+ years, I know where you're coming from. Those that say you're a danger to yourself and low flying aircraft because a non-locking blade folded back on you have either not used them long or hard enough! 😁

Even folding knives with a mechanical locking mechanism... Huh. I know they work. I carry a Kershaw Ken Onion Tactical Blur on me daily, but most of my other knives have a fixed blade. I suppose when it comes right down to it I prefer a fixed blade over a folding knife.

Ok, online, the picture of my Morakniv was a much deeper, more manly blue...

Ultreia!

Attachments

• 20190214_073840.jpg
    20190214_073840.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 26
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You could buy an Opinel knife in SJPdP. They close like a penknife but there's a metal ring where the blade meets the handle which locks it when in use. I think the smallest one, with a blade of about 7cm, costs about €6.
IMHO: The French Opinel, available in various lengths, is a terrific choice. It handles like a fixed blade with its simple, foolproof locking ring, has the compactness of a folding blade and is sturdy and lightweight. My copy came with a, most necessary, corkscrew. Buen Camino!

I like the Opinel I purchased in SJPdP for a few euros. I sent a box home at the end of my Camino with items I didn't want to check and use the Opinel for all of my back packing and picnics. It is light weight and will sharpen easily.

Thanks for this, Stephen. I bought one of those in SJPP and it kept closing on me. I left it at a give-away table at an early albergue. I just thought I had a defective knife.

This coming Camino, I'll know what to do!

I can understand your allegiance to a perfect working knife life like the Mora, red-handled and practical.
But in this world of ours, there are limits to the length of the blades, and I have in my kitchen section/ satchell ( of my rucksack) a serrated knife (Fiskars Essential Tomato Knife) that goes for cutting vegetables and the odd string, but would be happy to include a Mora Snikars knife for survival purpose when camping, see below,
Same perfect handhold and full control over the blade if you want to cut a twig etc
The blade is laminated, keeps sharp for a long time and is a mere 60 mm long !!
52080 52076

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I can understand your allegiance to a perfect working knife life like the Mora, red-handled and practical.
But in this world of ours, there are limits to the length of the blades, and I have in my kitchen section/ satchell a serrated knife (Fiskars Essential Tomato Knife) that goes for cutting vegetables and the odd string, but would be happy to include a Mora Snikars knife for survival purpose when camping, see below,
Same perfect handhold and full control over the blade if you want to cut a twig etc
View attachment 52080 View attachment 52076

No allegiance, just that I have one and it works (mine has a black and green handle). I'll have to look at the Fiskars (after all, the purpose is for cutting food - mainly veggies and fruit as I don't eat meat). Something with a suitable length blade (10 cm is good, suitable for what I need it for, and legal) and with a means of keeping the blade from my other stuff while in the pack :)

Thanks to all those advocating the Opinel, but I actually prefer a fixed blade. A folding knife works, a folding knife that locks is just as good, but safer, and a fixed blade knife works just as well and is the safest (hence my desire for a fixed blade knife with a suitable length).

Ah....Morakniv...Moraknives?

I'm a fan. This is in my vehicle center console with my individual first aid kit. Gave the serrated version to the wife.

Having had and used knives for 40+ years, I know where you're coming from. Those that say you're a danger to yourself and low flying aircraft because a non-locking blade folded back on you have either not used them long or hard enough! 😁

Even folding knives with a mechanical locking mechanism... Huh. I know they work. I carry a Kershaw Ken Onion Tactical Blur on me daily, but most of my other knives have a fixed blade. I suppose when it comes right down to it I prefer a fixed blade over a folding knife.

Ok, online, the picture of my Morakniv was a much deeper, more manly blue...

Ultreia!

I think the powder-blue looks nice :). Yep, more than 45 years with blades of all sorts - glad to see another kindred spirit that understands my situation.

I'm a fan of Opinel as well. Each time on Camino I've purchased an Opinel #6, and while small, it does a terrific job on sausages, cheeses, breads, and veg. :) At the end, I just mail it home with any end-of-Camino souvenirs.

I knew I was going to pick up souvenirs in my travels, but an Opinel #6 knife...? Ingenious. Mrs. Beeks will be thrilled...! :rolleyes:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
But in this world of ours, there are limits to the length of the blades, and I have in my kitchen section/ satchell ( of my rucksack) a serrated knife (Fiskars Essential Tomato Knife) that goes for cutting vegetables and the odd string, but would be happy to include a Mora Snikars knife for survival purpose when camping, see below,
View attachment 52080 View attachment 52076
Looked up "Mora Snikars " but got sneakers instead 😄 but you gave me an idea of what to do with a snapped off Finnish filleting knife that's been sitting around for years! Thank you.

I knew I was going to pick up souvenirs in my travels, but an Opinel #6 knife...? Ingenious. Mrs. Beeks will be thrilled...! :rolleyes:

You can get most of the Opinel's in either a stainless steel or a carbon steel blade. Carbon steel is easier to keep sharp, but can rust far easier than a stainless blade; but the stainless blade requires much less attention when it is exposed to moisture.

For home I like carbon steel; for travel, stainless steel. Of course, a simple swipe with a drying napkin or towel, etc, and a bit of a rub with a foot lubricant, like Hiker Goo or vaseline, etc, will keep any rust away on a carbon steel blade.

I am a big fan of MoraKniv and carried small one (a craft knife) on my Norte camino. Way better for carving up melons and slicing bread or sauage than a folding knife. Kept it in my pack and took it out as needed along the way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Looked up "Mora Snikars " but got sneakers instead 😄 but you gave me an idea of what to do with a snapped off Finnish filleting knife that's been sitting around for years! Thank you.
my mistake!
try typing Mora 120 knife

Incidentally this knife is used by smaller children in woodcraft classes from early on at home w us...
A knife is only safe when the handler is trained,
look here for reactions when regular knives are distributed for wittling sticks on a normal day in a Forest Kindergarten in Denmark

-at the 4:00 mark.

Last edited:
my mistake!

Incidentally this knife is used by smaller children in woodcraft classes from early on at home w us...
look here for reactions when regular knives are distributed for wittling sticks on a normal day in a Forest Kindergarten in Denmark

Beautiful! I loved it when one child held another's hand to help them up the slope. Thank you for this too!

my mistake!

And here's the finished Finnish knife:

I also cut down the sheath and plugged the cut end with silicone. I KNEW there was a reason I'd kept a broken knife around for 10 years!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You can get most of the Opinel's in either a stainless steel or a carbon steel blade. Carbon steel is easier to keep sharp, but can rust far easier than a stainless blade; but the stainless blade requires much less attention when it is exposed to moisture.

For home I like carbon steel; for travel, stainless steel. Of course, a simple swipe with a drying napkin or towel, etc, and a bit of a rub with a foot lubricant, like Hiker Goo or vaseline, etc, will keep any rust away on a carbon steel blade.

Davebugg... sharpens like a dream! Thanks!20190503_100831.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back