• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

More albergues in Galicia but up to 6 euro

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
http://www.elcorreogallego.es/santiago/ ... ia-483382/

The Regional Minister of Culture, Roberto Varela, traveled a stretch of the French Way yesterday in the company of eleven mayors running this route
In the Holy Year they are expected to collect 6 euros the night in shelters and public use tents in case of excess demand.
Arzúa, and president of the Commonwealth of Municipalities of the French Way Gallegos, Xaquín Garcia, asked the Regional Minister of Culture and Tourism, Roberto Varela, for more economic aid to cover the costs involved in maintaining the road and more beds in shelters to meet the huge demand expected in the next Xacobeo 2010.
Next to the alderman of these requests Arzúa supported the Mayors of eleven municipalities that comprise the Commonwealth: Piedrafita, Triacastela, Samos, Sarria, Paradela, Portomarín, Monterroso, Palas de Rei, Melide and O Pino.

Raising the nominal price

The Regional Minister, meanwhile, announced The possibility of raising the price of spending the night in public shelters to six euros. Currently, premises belonging to the Xunta charge 3 euros each pilgrim for accommodation. In return they offer bed and, most of them, a service kitchen, washer and dryer.

Roberto Varela justified the increase "this is a Possibility that is being played to help defray the costs of maintaining these buildings and, above all with the idea of offering better service at a price that is still symbolic. "

"For the pilgrim it might not mean much but for us, that income can mean a substantial improvement in equipment, in the adaptation or replacement of equipment and to ensure the cleanliness and hygiene conditions more appropriate," says Ricardo Varela.

Moreover, the holder of Culture and Tourism pointed out that his department has planned to invest in the French Route EUR 4,350,000 through a two paths remedial plan, which Involves cleaning, signage, construction and maintenance of roads and shelters. And the Restoration Plan and value of the Ways of Santiago, Which affects public spaces, Carballeira and for rehabilitation of individuals facing the Xacobeo 2010.

The Regional Minister also advanced, with the massive occupation planned for 2010, Which is examining the "alternative" to install tents "and use" flags of sport. "Varela was receptive to these solutions and noted that, for elo," there mats and to buy material to make it viable. "

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Six euros per night is still very reasonable.
I hope the extra revenue gets put back into maintenance of the albergues.
In the absence of commited volunteers, some albergues need a cleaning contractor.
Some albergues would benefit from relatively expensive maintenance...

The Camino is a victim of its own success. I have some favorite places here in Canada that were free in my youth, but now charge a fee and have had "improvements" made.

David, Victoria, Canada

The higher the charge, the higher the expectations.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back